Calvin de Haan

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Dear god, please be nothing serious...

Almost no chance its serious if he was able to come back out and skate, it could be a nagging thing that if it occurred mid season would keep him out 2-3 weeks but I don't see it possibly having an impact in September or October.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Has anyone heard any updates on CdH and his high ankle sprain? It doesn't seem he needs to get surgery so we don't have to worry about it affecting next season. Staple mentioned that de Haan says he should have no problem being ready in September so that's very good news.

Found a really good article on high ankle sprains in case people were curious about how severe the injury was.

http://www.physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/high-ankle-sprain

Grade 1 - Mild

In mild cases, you can expect full ligament healing at approximately 6 weeks, but it may take longer to prepare you for functional sport again.

Despite most people being told to simply “rest” and it will recover, we find that these mild sprains often result in joint stiffness, ligament laxity, muscle weakness or tightness plus reduced proprioception (balance and joint awareness).

If not adequately treated these often cause your ankle and foot joints to compensate movement at adjacent joints, which can lead to several other injuries months or years down the track.

Grade 2 - Moderate

Grade 2 injuries occur when you have a significant ligament injury that allows the ligament to excessively stretch. In most cases these injuries result in a recovery period of 6 to 12 weeks. With increasing injury severity, the rehabilitation process becomes more complex and extensive.

All Grade 2 injuries should be thoroughly rehabilitated to enable:
◾full range of motion
◾full strength
◾full proprioception
◾full power and agility
◾full return to sport-specific drills

Since surgery hasn't been reported, it seems like a Grade 1 or Grade 2. Either way, he should be fine.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Has anyone heard any updates on CdH and his high ankle sprain? It doesn't seem he needs to get surgery so we don't have to worry about it affecting next season. Staple mentioned that de Haan says he should have no problem being ready in September so that's very good news.

Found a really good article on high ankle sprains in case people were curious about how severe the injury was.

http://www.physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/high-ankle-sprain

Since surgery hasn't been reported, it seems like a Grade 1 or Grade 2. Either way, he should be fine.

I tweeted Staple about de Haan a couple of weeks ago, before news of it being a high ankle sprain. Don't know how to link tweets, but I asked if there was any chance if the injury would have any affect on next season, and Staple confidently responded with a "No, he'll be fine". If he required any kind of surgery, I doubt Staple would have given me an answer like that.

There is also an interview on IslesTV with de Haan, where he basically says he plans on taking a month or so off, and then he plans on getting back onto the ice and preparing for next season. Doesn't sound like the injury is serious at all.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I tweeted Staple about de Haan a couple of weeks ago, before news of it being a high ankle sprain. Don't know how to link tweets, but I asked if there was any chance if the injury would have any affect on next season, and Staple confidently responded with a "No, he'll be fine". If he required any kind of surgery, I doubt Staple would have given me an answer like that.

There is also an interview on IslesTV with de Haan, where he basically says he plans on taking a month or so off, and then he plans on getting back onto the ice and preparing for next season. Doesn't sound like the injury is serious at all.

That's good news blink. If there is any silver lining, the timing of the injury seems to work out just right. CdH essentially missed the last 2 weeks of the season and a month of rest equals 6 weeks for the sprain to heal. His offseason training will initially be more of a rehab type of thing for a couple of weeks so maybe he can take that time to do some upper body work and some weight training to try and build maybe 5 pounds of mass/strength. He's a very talented skater already, I want to make sure the injury is properly handled.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm pretty familiar with high ankle sprains. The walking boot is standard procedure and how long you wear it depends on the grade of sprain and how quickly it heals. The rehab process is just a bunch of body weight strength exercises and the usage of therabands. I honestly don't think he'll miss any rehab time and this injury could actually benefit him. Being in the walking boot gives him an opportunity to work on his upper body strength and strengthen his shoulders even more, even though I'm sure he's sick of that by now. :laugh:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
That's good news blink. If there is any silver lining, the timing of the injury seems to work out just right. CdH essentially missed the last 2 weeks of the season and a month of rest equals 6 weeks for the sprain to heal. His offseason training will initially be more of a rehab type of thing for a couple of weeks so maybe he can take that time to do some upper body work and some weight training to try and build maybe 5 pounds of mass/strength. He's a very talented skater already, I want to make sure the injury is properly handled.

Yeah his time to heal should coincide with the usual amount of time players take off during the spring/summer. It looks like it will work out perfectly.

As far as de Haan goes for next season, I'm expecting big things. He knows he can play in this league, and he knows he has a spot locked up. IMO the next natural step would be to get involved more offensively, which I think he'll work on this offseason(as well as the obvious of just getting bigger and stronger, which he alluded to in that interview).

I'm still going to follow the Keith development model when evaluating de Haan. Calvin's rookie year vs Keith's rookie year:

Keith(6'1 200): '05-06; 22 years old: 81 games; 9/12/21 -11; 79 PIM; 23:26 ATOI

de Haan(6'1 190): '13-14; 22 years old: 51 games; 3/13/16 -7; 30 PIM; 21:01 ATOI
*82 game pace: 5 goals/21 assists/26 points - also, the TOI was rising as the season ended, so it's likely that if he played a full season, he would have ended somewhere between 22 and 23 minutes per game.

Keith's 23 year old season was: 82 games: 2/29/31; even; 76 PIM; 24:36. I think this is a reasonable expectation for de Haan next season.

Keith's numbers started to creep up to 32 and then 44 the next two years, before completely exploding at 69 in his 26 year old season. I don't expect de Haan to get to that point offensively, but somewhere around that 40-50 point version of Keith might not be too unrealistic if he continues to develop the way that he has.

I'm a huge fan of Reinhart, but de Haan is going to be our #1. I have zero doubt.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
And considering he came back out and skated after the injury leaves me to believe that it's a low grade sprain.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

There is usually a time of the tweet, click that and it will reopen that tweet in another window, just copy the link and paste it here. ON my mac, I can just right click the time to copy the link and past it here.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yeah his time to heal should coincide with the usual amount of time players take off during the spring/summer. It looks like it will work out perfectly.

As far as de Haan goes for next season, I'm expecting big things. He knows he can play in this league, and he knows he has a spot locked up. IMO the next natural step would be to get involved more offensively, which I think he'll work on this offseason(as well as the obvious of just getting bigger and stronger, which he alluded to in that interview).

I'm still going to follow the Keith development model when evaluating de Haan. Calvin's rookie year vs Keith's rookie year:

Keith(6'1 200): '05-06; 22 years old: 81 games; 9/12/21 -11; 79 PIM; 23:26 ATOI

de Haan(6'1 190): '13-14; 22 years old: 51 games; 3/13/16 -7; 30 PIM; 21:01 ATOI
*82 game pace: 5 goals/21 assists/26 points - also, the TOI was rising as the season ended, so it's likely that if he played a full season, he would have ended somewhere between 22 and 23 minutes per game.

Keith's 23 year old season was: 82 games: 2/29/31; even; 76 PIM; 24:36. I think this is a reasonable expectation for de Haan next season.

Keith's numbers started to creep up to 32 and then 44 the next two years, before completely exploding at 69 in his 26 year old season. I don't expect de Haan to get to that point offensively, but somewhere around that 40-50 point version of Keith might not be too unrealistic if he continues to develop the way that he has.

I'm a huge fan of Reinhart, but de Haan is going to be our #1. I have zero doubt.

Keith is more explosive and offensively dynamic, de Haan is more cerebral. The point totals may be similar, but I don't see them as similar players right now.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Keith is more explosive and offensively dynamic, de Haan is more cerebral. The point totals may be similar, but I don't see them as similar players right now.

I think you are underrating his offensive ability. He has all the tools. Unmatched skating. High end vision and playmaking. Hard, accurate wrister. The only thing he really needs to work on is his slapper.

As he gains more experience, he will gain more confidence, and as he gains more confidence, he will start to get much more involved offensively. The dude's upside is absolutely enormous. Scary big.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think you are underrating his offensive ability. He has all the tools. Unmatched skating. High end vision and playmaking. Hard, accurate wrister. The only thing he really needs to work on is his slapper.

As he gains more experience, he will gain more confidence, and as he gains more confidence, he will start to get much more involved offensively. The dude's upside is absolutely enormous. Scary big.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it happen, I hope you're right.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

I think Blinkman's right on all counts but......Reinhart will be looked at as our number 1 UNLESS a Puloch or someone else wow's.

DeHaan is in the KJ mold. He'll be quietly the guy who gets the entire game right. I hope he hits more, but his offense is calculated risk but with talent, his defense is solid and his skating and positioning is quite good.

Keith is a bang-wow type like Aucoin was. Good defense most nights with solid offense. A very solid player but DeHaan is a solid all around guy thus more "reliable."

A guy teams love to have and fans overlook save for the more cerebral who, like during the Aucoin/Hamrlik/KJ debates, picked KJ religiously.

Let's just say I am surprised with DeHaan because I never expected it from him. I expected a Dick Tarnstrom mixed with Jeff Norton.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Represent!

Kadri getting all those votes from Leaf Nation despite half of them wanting him traded for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Got me a Calvin de Haan jersey for this season.

Home or away? I have a Johnny home; next I was planning on getting a CdH away.

BTW, looks like Calvin is gonna lose to Kadri. Kind of expected, since I'm guessing that most of the league has no knowledge of him. Keep voting though.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Home or away? I have a Johnny home; next I was planning on getting a CdH away.

BTW, looks like Calvin is gonna lose to Kadri. Kind of expected, since I'm guessing that most of the league has no knowledge of him. Keep voting though.

Blue home. Icejerseys did an awesome job with it.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Meh, who cares about the polls? I've seen fans on the main board trot out the results of those polls as evidence for one thing or another, even though the polls are basically just a measure of which team has the most fans. Years ago, Toronto fan used to rely on those polls as "proof" of how much Kaberle would return in a trade (if you look at the trail from the Kaberle deal - it actually cost Toronto a 2nd rounder to get rid of him!).

And, fwiw, I agree with fans of other teams that Kadri has accomplished a bit more.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
This is happening now:

54110200.jpg

Does anybody know if he's going with #44 or is he switching to something lower like Hamonic did?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad