Calvin de Haan

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm pumped about Hamonic coming back, mainly because I want to see this CdH-Hammer pairing in action again. It's pretty clear to me that this is our best shot at a 1st pairing of the future(maybe even present, considering how good they looked before Hamonic went down).

Hopefully Capuano actually puts them back together. I know Donovan has been playing better hockey ever since he was paired with CdH, but at this point in the season we should be trying to find the right combos for next year. Get CdH-Hammer as much chemistry as you possibly can in the next 23 games.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
When I watch him I am so impressed by his hockey instincts. There is no hesitation or time taken processing, it is instinctive after a quick read/react. This kid has shown that he has that special quality that separates pedestrian from exceptional. He is not exceptional yet, his NHL career is very short, but the instincts of are an experienced veteran, and he has enough physical tools to combine with that for a very effective defender. Not making a comparison, but Lidstrom was of the more cerebral/limited physical tools in a similar fashion. We may have us a good one here, a very, very good one. Love to see his game after 300 NHL games and paid with a suitable partner.

CdH is legit. It's unfair to heap such high praise on him so early, but he's earning it. He is the best young d-man that we've had since KJ and I think he's bust proof as long as he stays healthy. He's probably the best overall skater we have and he has really underrated hand skills, his 1st pass ability is sublime. His vision, awareness, and decision making are top notch. When he adds 10 pounds of mass and strength, he could be a stud.

It must be the water in Oshawa, Tavares and CdH both have exceptional hockey sense. Michael Dal Colle is another who is lauded for his hockey instincts, especially offensively. If we stay at #5, I hope we get a shot at him. Oshawa players with high end hockey sense, we should continue to load up on them because it's clearly working for us.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Well he's not getting Norris consideration and he's our best defenseman by default. So what's your point?

Drop the snarkiness and re-read what I wrote.

3 months ago, more than half this board would have traded the kid for MAB. Hamonic was a God around here when he first came up, and deservedly so. But CdH was always a better prospect. As for the Norris, give it a few years, he'll get votes sometime between then and now (like I said).

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Drop the snarkiness and re-read what I wrote.

3 months ago, more than half this board would have traded the kid for MAB. Hamonic was a God around here when he first came up, and deservedly so. But CdH was always a better prospect. As for the Norris, give it a few years, he'll get votes sometime between then and now (like I said).

I hope you're right Jester. From everything I'm seeing and with his pedigree, I believe. CdH for the Norris!!! :nod:

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Been really happy with the kid. He has great poise with the puck and I like the way he uses his body against his opponents to get the puck. He has really impressed me. Hopefully he stays healthy.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I hope you're right Jester. From everything I'm seeing and with his pedigree, I believe. CdH for the Norris!!! :nod:

I'm not going to make that jump just yet. I'll predict he gets some votes, not that he will win it.

I've always said, take JT's brain and put it in a defenseman and you've got CdH. Everything just seems automatic with the kid.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I thought he was talking about Harmonic. But I don't think either one on them will be Norris candidates anytime soon.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm not going to make that jump just yet. I'll predict he gets some votes, not that he will win it.

I've always said, take JT's brain and put it in a defenseman and you've got CdH. Everything just seems automatic with the kid.

BUMP.

CdH has really taken some big strides this season. It's truly amazing how big of a leap he's taken. He's already establishing himself as the co-#1D with Hamonic and is probably our top overall defenseman. Our blue line is a train wreck with all the injuries and lack of talent, but I think he could be playing top-4 on stronger teams with his level of play.

Jester's comment above seems pretty dead on. For a defenseman, he sees the ice and has the skill to be our JT back there. As both have physically matured and gotten stronger, their games have blossomed. If CdH can get to 195 and sustain that weight as he physically matures, he's going continue to improve. Does anyone care what we gave up to get this kid anymore? I think that's been put to rest.

Franchise centerman and a top pairing defenseman in one draft, big win. Junior teammates and good friends as well, so even bigger win.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
BUMP.

CdH has really taken some big strides this season. It's truly amazing how big of a leap he's taken. He's already establishing himself as the co-#1D with Hamonic and is probably our top overall defenseman. Our blue line is a train wreck with all the injuries and lack of talent, but I think he could be playing top-4 on stronger teams with his level of play.

Jester's comment above seems pretty dead on. For a defenseman, he sees the ice and has the skill to be our JT back there. As both have physically matured and gotten stronger, their games have blossomed. If CdH can get to 195 and sustain that weight as he physically matures, he's going continue to improve. Does anyone care what we gave up to get this kid anymore? I think that's been put to rest.

Franchise centerman and a top pairing defenseman in one draft, big win. Junior teammates and good friends as well, so even bigger win.

What did we even give up for him anyway?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
BUMP.

I just love how he's already earned the complete trust of the coaching staff. THIRTY minutes against Tampa and holding Stamkos(who has been red hot) off the scoresheet. His upside is enormous. I know people semi-joke about the Norris stuff, but if his offensive game develops the way I think it will, he'll absolutely be in the conversation someday. His defense is already top-pairing quality just 50 games into his career, which is scary.

BTW, don't forget about Lee, PW. If he actually ends up with Tavares, you can probably add 30-40 goal scorer to that list. Awesome draft.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I am really surprised by his physical game. He's not blowing people up with huge checks… but eliminating opposing players by taking the body cleanly and effectively. His whole game is: intelligent, efficient and effective.

Since, you can never loose "intelligence" from your game… If he remains healthy... I see no reason why he can't be penciled in as a top four defenseman for years to come. Personally, I still think he will top out as something much higher then just top four. But it is just nice to know that going forward he can be considered a lock for an important position.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I am really surprised by his physical game. He's not blowing people up with huge checks… but eliminating opposing players by taking the body cleanly and effectively. His whole game is: intelligent, efficient and effective.

Since, you can never loose "intelligence" from your game… If he remains healthy... I see no reason why he can't be penciled in as a top four defenseman for years to come. Personally, I still think he will top out as something much higher then just top four. But it is just nice to know that going forward he can be considered a lock for an important position.

He rocked somebody in that Tampa game. Callahan maybe? Can't remember, but the physical side has been a pleasant surprise at this level.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I just love how he's already earned the complete trust of the coaching staff. THIRTY minutes against Tampa and holding Stamkos(who has been red hot) off the scoresheet. His upside is enormous. I know people semi-joke about the Norris stuff, but if his offensive game develops the way I think it will, he'll absolutely be in the conversation someday. His defense is already top-pairing quality just 50 games into his career, which is scary.

BTW, don't forget about Lee, PW. If he actually ends up with Tavares, you can probably add 30-40 goal scorer to that list. Awesome draft.

It's so difficult to resist the temptation of overrating CdH's upside, but he looks bust proof at this point as long as he stays healthy. Earlier in the season, I would cringe every time someone would even come near him of fear that his shoulder will explode. Late in the game against Tampa, he knew he was going to get crushed yet he successfully cleared the puck out of the zone - he's clearly not afraid to take a hit. I saw him do that when I saw him in the AHL during the lockout last year. He grows facial hair like a young man now and is no longer that twig when we drafted him. With the pads and jersey, he doesn't look all that small out there. Maybe it's because everyone else is a smurf, but Hamonic doesn't look all that much bigger than him to me. He actually holds his own in physical board battles, but he definitely needs to get bigger and stronger. That's why I love the de-MONIC pairing, they complement eachother so well.

My memory is failing, but was KJ's skating as good as CdH's? redbull mentioned in the Tampa GDT that he looked like Niedermayer at times out there and I agree. When he wants to and if he sees an opening, he's not afraid to go for it. That rush and sick pass to CMac in the Carolina game was really damn impressive. We drafted him in the hopes of being an offensive PMD who could be a PPQB. He was exactly that for Oshawa and Team Canada. Then in the AHL, the offense disappeared and was more of a safe, defensive player. He started out that way early in the season, then once he finally got on the scoresheet... he's been way more involved offensively. He definitely earned the trust of the coaching staff as you mentioned because he's pretty much the prototype for their system. His 1st pass starts the rush and he activates better than anyone else we have, Hickey is very underrated in this regard BTW. 30+ minutes against Tampa, he seemed to handle those minutes pretty effortlessly. CdH-Hamonic is the best pair we've had since Aucoin-KJ.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He rocked somebody in that Tampa game. Callahan maybe? Can't remember, but the physical side has been a pleasant surprise at this level.

Your right. I want to say that it was Callahan just inside the Tampa Bay zone blue line. But for the most part his physical play is much like the rest of his game: "doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time to try and make a positive difference in the outcome of the game." Seems simple enough thing for a player to grasp, but yet so many other players will do things for no purpose other than generating a highlight.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I actually think he and Reinhart might make a nice pairing down the road.

While the offense has come around nicely the last 2 years, especailly with nelson, lee and strome all making their presence felt. we've all been waiting impatiently for defense to arrive.

well they arent all here yet, but they've definitely gone from in the pool to on the cusp. and their blooms, to a man, hasnt come off the rose. in the case of dehaan, he's been reborn as a prospect, now player, this year. Reinhart looks like a man, Pulock looks like a tree trunk bomber and Pokka looks like the cherry on top. None have done anything to diminish expectations. Very exciting.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Your right. I want to say that it was Callahan just inside the Tampa Bay zone blue line. But for the most part his physical play is much like the rest of his game: "doing the appropriate thing at the appropriate time to try and make a positive difference in the outcome of the game." Seems simple enough thing for a player to grasp, but yet so many other players will do things for no purpose other than generating a highlight.

As Jester alluded to, CdH is what you get when you have a JT type of brain in a defenseman. He still has his moments of rookie 'durr', but he adapts and moves on. He just seems so plugged into the game, like he has high speed internet while everyone else is working off a 300-baud modem. JT is the only other player I get that feeling from. He dipsy doodles sometimes, but he always gives himself an out. You watch Donovan and some of his high risk plays and you hold your breath. CdH does gamble a bit too and in certain cases, attempts even riskier plays than Donovan yet if you analyze the decision and resulting play... he was right. His decisions are so quick and he does everything with conviction. He just looks so confident out there.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I actually think he and Reinhart might make a nice pairing down the road.

While the offense has come around nicely the last 2 years, especailly with nelson, lee and strome all making their presence felt. we've all been waiting impatiently for defense to arrive.

well they arent all here yet, but they've definitely gone from in the pool to on the cusp. and their blooms, to a man, hasnt come off the rose. in the case of dehaan, he's been reborn as a prospect, now player, this year. Reinhart looks like a man, Pulock looks like a tree trunk bomber and Pokka looks like the cherry on top. None have done anything to diminish expectations. Very exciting.

Cal and Griff won't play together. No reason to mess around with playing off-sides when we don't need to. They will be our top 4 LDs for a long time to come, though. Their partners will likely be Hamonic/Pulock/Pokka.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
As Jester alluded to, CdH is what you get when you have a JT type of brain in a defenseman. He still has his moments of rookie 'durr', but he adapts and moves on. He just seems so plugged into the game, like he has high speed internet while everyone else is working off a 300-baud modem. JT is the only other player I get that feeling from. He dipsy doodles sometimes, but he always gives himself an out. You watch Donovan and some of his high risk plays and you hold your breath. CdH does gamble a bit too and in certain cases, attempts even riskier plays than Donovan yet if you analyze the decision and resulting play... he was right. His decisions are so quick and he does everything with conviction. He just looks so confident out there.

Oh, yeah... he definitely does a lot of puck possession skating deep in his own zone but he really does not seem to be in danger. He seems to have such a strong grasp on the physics of skating that he understands what he and opponents can or can not do with skating. His curls seem to be done in areas where you would have to have Chara size and Grabner speed to strip him of the puck (essentially you would have to be a non-existent freak of human nature).

Funny thing about de Haan... he seems like he will be the kind of player that if you offered him up in a trade proposal on these boards most opposing fans would scoff at any deal. NHL GM's however, would most likely throw in an extra pick immediately to avoid him being offered elsewhere.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It's so difficult to resist the temptation of overrating CdH's upside, but he looks bust proof at this point as long as he stays healthy. Earlier in the season, I would cringe every time someone would even come near him of fear that his shoulder will explode. Late in the game against Tampa, he knew he was going to get crushed yet he successfully cleared the puck out of the zone - he's clearly not afraid to take a hit. I saw him do that when I saw him in the AHL during the lockout last year. He grows facial hair like a young man now and is no longer that twig when we drafted him. With the pads and jersey, he doesn't look all that small out there. Maybe it's because everyone else is a smurf, but Hamonic doesn't look all that much bigger than him to me. He actually holds his own in physical board battles, but he definitely needs to get bigger and stronger. That's why I love the de-MONIC pairing, they complement eachother so well.

My memory is failing, but was KJ's skating as good as CdH's? redbull mentioned in the Tampa GDT that he looked like Niedermayer at times out there and I agree. When he wants to and if he sees an opening, he's not afraid to go for it. That rush and sick pass to CMac in the Carolina game was really damn impressive. We drafted him in the hopes of being an offensive PMD who could be a PPQB. He was exactly that for Oshawa and Team Canada. Then in the AHL, the offense disappeared and was more of a safe, defensive player. He started out that way early in the season, then once he finally got on the scoresheet... he's been way more involved offensively. He definitely earned the trust of the coaching staff as you mentioned because he's pretty much the prototype for their system. His 1st pass starts the rush and he activates better than anyone else we have, Hickey is very underrated in this regard BTW. 30+ minutes against Tampa, he seemed to handle those minutes pretty effortlessly. CdH-Hamonic is the best pair we've had since Aucoin-KJ.

Honestly, I wanted to anoint him at the 10 game mark. Figured I'd give it a little more time, but IMO he was that good that early. Now, at about 50 games, I have no problem calling him a top-pairing NHL defenseman. It's pretty crazy, considering the expectations back in September. A full, healthy AHL season was the goal. Now, he appears to be ending the season as our best NHL defenseman. Insane.

I'm really interested to see what kind of contract he gets. I'm hoping for a long-term deal. IMO there is little doubt when it comes to Calvin. Get him locked up long-term at a reasonable cap hit, and watch as it quickly becomes a steal.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Honestly, I wanted to anoint him at the 10 game mark. Figured I'd give it a little more time, but IMO he was that good that early. Now, at about 50 games, I have no problem calling him a top-pairing NHL defenseman. It's pretty crazy, considering the expectations back in September. A full, healthy AHL season was the goal. Now, he appears to be ending the season as our best NHL defenseman. Insane.

I'm really interested to see what kind of contract he gets. I'm hoping for a long-term deal. IMO there is little doubt when it comes to Calvin. Get him locked up long-term at a reasonable cap hit, and watch as it quickly becomes a steal.

I no longer think he should get a bridge deal. I would offer him the same contract that Hamonic got. Hamonic set the precedent and no one would argue that he doesn't deserve what he gets so there's no potential contract envy. When the time is right, offer the same contract (factor in inflation) to Reinhart and Pulock. You have your top-4 locked up for a long time and all could be 'steal' level contracts. No jealousy or envy. If things go sour for anyone, shouldn't be all that difficult to unload any of them and should return good value. A little foresight can pay big dividends down the road. There's risk, but CdH has turned me into a believer in his ability.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Arguments for a bridge contract:

- Injuries. This year answered many questions, and I don't worry about injuries for him BUT you still can't pretend he didn't go through a bad tear with them.

- Josh Bailey. Do you think the Isles would redo that contract now if they had a time machine? :nod:

And is it too much to ask to wait until his sophomore slump season is done before we bring up Norris? I see a high side to him as well but he does make mistakes. He also won't get consideration without a better support group around him because he is held back a bit by the struggles of his partner or the forwards too many times. Think of it as a village chieftain. You are only as good as the community reflecting what you bring. You may be great, but if they suck it is association that everyone remembers.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Arguments for a bridge contract:

- Injuries. This year answered many questions, and I don't worry about injuries for him BUT you still can't pretend he didn't go through a bad tear with them.

- Josh Bailey. Do you think the Isles would redo that contract now if they had a time machine? :nod:

And is it too much to ask to wait until his sophomore slump season is done before we bring up Norris? I see a high side to him as well but he does make mistakes. He also won't get consideration without a better support group around him because he is held back a bit by the struggles of his partner or the forwards too many times. Think of it as a village chieftain. You are only as good as the community reflecting what you bring. You may be great, but if they suck it is association that everyone remembers.

Yes, it is too much: NORRIS!

BTW, CdH with another 26+ min last night.

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
I see alot of Andrew Macdonald in CDH. Good skater first pass smart hockey player not overly physical or strong. I believe CDH has a bit more offensive upside then Macdonald and looks better at running a PP then Mcdonald. I think CDH has the potential to be a top 3-4 defenseman. Thats my honest assesment of CDH.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I see alot of Andrew Macdonald in CDH. Good skater first pass smart hockey player not overly physical or strong. I believe CDH has a bit more offensive upside then Macdonald and looks better at running a PP then Mcdonald. I think CDH has the potential to be a top 3-4 defenseman. Thats my honest assesment of CDH.

Don't see the comparison at all. CdH is miles ahead in skating and IQ, not to mention his vision. MacDonald's playmaking ability was decent at times, but you can clearly see Calvin's is on another level.

Another big difference is poise. Can't tell you how many times Calvin has bought time for himself by curling away from danger. MacDonald had a habit of forcing the puck up ice in those situations, usually turning it over. MacDonald is probably stronger than CdH, but Calvin seems much more aggressive physically. AMac liked to rely on his stick, whereas Calvin prefers to play the body. IMO, Calvin is already ahead of MacDonald at even the best point in his career.

BTW, I definitely disagree with your potential assessment, since it implies that he's currently just a 3rd pairing guy. Not sure how anyone who has watched him on a consistent basis could call him anything less than 2nd pairing at the moment, which IMO is being conservative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad