Injury Report: Calvin de Haan (Eye)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, it was a reckless use of the stick which caused an injury. Which is a penalty. But it was a high stick on the follow through on a shot, which isn't a penalty.

So I'd say it's up to referee discretion, and he ruled no penalty. Ce la vie

That doesn't make sense. If it's a follow through on a shot, it's not a penalty and not reckless. I don't recall the play so I'm going off of what is posted here, but how can it be a follow through and be considered reckless.

The rulebook is very clear on this and I don't think there is much discretion.

"However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly. "

The only discretion is if the refs thought it wasn't a "normal" windup or follow-up. Other than that, it's clear cut that it's not a penalty.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
It was a pass from behind the net or maybe hoping to bounce it in. If thats a shot hard not to call anything a shot. To me it was a pass

I thought it looked more like a pass after watching the replay that night, but I can't fully remember now. It's probably still a hard call to make with it happening quickly, and near the goal. I could see how it wasn't called.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Because of the Visor most players have a disrespect for the opposition.
Yes, players got cut from high sticks in the past, but rarely did one see the type of
high sticking as happening today.
The Colorado player, Alexander Kerfoot should've been assessed a 5 Minutes plus at least a
3-5 game suspension. This sends a clear message to players to be responsible with their sticks.
Crosby high stcks Ranger in the eye area.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That doesn't make sense. If it's a follow through on a shot, it's not a penalty and not reckless. I don't recall the play so I'm going off of what is posted here, but how can it be a follow through and be considered reckless.

The rulebook is very clear on this and I don't think there is much discretion.

"However, a player is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly. "

The only discretion is if the refs thought it wasn't a "normal" windup or follow-up. Other than that, it's clear cut that it's not a penalty.

It could have been both. It was definitely a follow through on a shot from behind the net (he was trying to bounce it off the pads either into the net, or create a rebound out front), but he clearly didn't put any care or thought into where his stick was going in the process.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It could have been both. It was definitely a follow through on a shot from behind the net (he was trying to bounce it off the pads either into the net, or create a rebound out front), but he clearly didn't put any care or thought into where his stick was going in the process.

I guess I don't see it that way. I don't recall the play so I won't argue too much, but in all the shots I've ever taken over 40+ years of playing, I've never worried about my follow-through.

You worry about scoring and getting the best shot.

Anyhow, doesn't change anything as it relates to de Hann.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I thought it was a follow through on a shot but it was a over exaggerated as it was a pretty quick little wrist/snap shot. It wasn't like he was following through on a clapper.

It could've been called but wasn't; I just hope CDH makes a quick recovery.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I guess I don't see it that way. I don't recall the play so I won't argue too much, but in all the shots I've ever taken over 40+ years of playing, I've never worried about my follow-through.

You worry about scoring and getting the best shot.

Anyhow, doesn't change anything as it relates to de Hann.

There’s no reason to finish a shot attempt with your stick at eye level unless you’re trying to shoot the puck into the stands.

I get what Blueline is saying with regards to it being reckless. Anytime your stick is at eye level and you’re anywhere near an opponent there’s a degree of recklessness to it. In the spot they were in on the ice (behind the net) DeHaan has no reason to expect a stick in the face. Guys generally don’t get hit with follow through me bevause they know how to avoid it when a shot can be reasonably expected.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be a penalty, because by the rule it isn’t. It can still be a bit reckless though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Fair enough. I didn't recall the play so was genuinely curious. Wasn't sure if de Hann was standing straight up when struck, bent over at all, or in a position where his head was lower than normal, etc... I've been struck by windups and follow through a few times over the years so I just kind of viewed it as stuff that can happen vs. being reckless. Granted, I played in beer leagues where players aren't as skilled.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that I agree that if CDH was standing pretty much straight up and the guy finished his shot at eye level, then it could be considered reckless. If he was bent over at all though, it could just be a normal follow through. I don't recall the specifics of when he got hurt so was asking.

Last edited:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Fair enough. I didn't recall the play so was genuinely curious. I've been struck by windups and follow through a few times over the years so I just kind of viewed it as stuff that can happen vs. being reckless. Granted, I played in beer leagues where players aren't as skilled.

I seriously don't understand guys who wear shields or nothing at all in lower level beer leagues. I get hit in the cage all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad