Calgary Flames quietly leading the NHL in preseason standings

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
People do realize that every team in the league likely has a 20 point potential swing right? Hell, might even be bigger than 20 points.

If everything goes right, you move up. If everything goes poorly, you go down. Pretty much the same team can go from division winner to out of the playoffs in the next year. That's normal, that's why we don't just run computer simulations to see who makes playoffs.

Projecting 90 points or projecting 70 points, sure both are entirely possible.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Did you enjoy watching all these "washed vets" piss on your team and send them into the waste bin two years ago?
Two years ago your playoff roster had 10 players 30 years and older.. Now your team has 15 and you're near the bottom of the league in Average Player Age. Not good. Older and slower.
I bet Grecian Formula is a hot commodity and a locker room staple at Rexall Place. Maybe the Oilers can get a sponsorship from the Grecian Formula people and you can wear their logo on the Oilers jerseys?
L1550151-2122782181.JPG

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Two years ago your playoff roster had 10 players 30 years and older.. Now your team has 15 and you're near the bottom of the league in Average Player Age. Not good. Older and slower.
I bet Grecian Formula is a hot commodity and a locker room staple at Rexall Place. Maybe the Oilers can get a sponsorship from the Grecian Formula people and you can wear their logo on the Oilers jerseys?
View attachment 912365

Cool - I'll enjoy watching these guys play in the playoffs this year and compete for the Stanley Cup.

Hope you derive similar enjoyment watching Huberdeau collect $10.5M to prance his way to 40 points, and hoping/praying Zary/Wolf are the answers to all your prayers. Maybe one day you'll know what it's like to cheer for a real contender, not just one you put on the throne in January before bowing out no later than Game 5 of the second round.

Enjoy cheerleading ex-players that spurned the Flames again this spring!

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
On paper, I can see why you think that. Then look at what the Flames 2014-2015 roster looked like vs the league and see how far they got into the playoffs (don't forget the rookie factor of that roster too).

There's a reason why the Flames and Minnesota are considered the posterchild for mediocrity. Anything can happen, regardless of how good or bad that roster looks on paper. Most of us want the Flames to play hard and draft high. No mailing it in even if out classed in every game.

With a mentality like that, we don't have to worry about core rot and bad development/habits seeping in even if we draft high. However, it's also its own wildcard in that we could potentially sneak in extra points in 4-8 games. That's occasionally enough to rocket up the standings 2-5 positions.
Good points. Your bolded says it all. It’s why the games are played and why regardless of who we cheer for, ans fans we all love watching the battle.

As you say, Anything can happen. Cheers and good luck to your team this season.

Reactions: Figgy44

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It makes sense. The Flames had a lot of young guys trying to make the team, which means they're going to put in a good effort. Most vets don't care about the preseason. They're just trying to get back into game shape.

The Flames should still be a bottom-5 team this season. But who knows.

Reactions: Figgy44

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Cool - I'll enjoy watching these guys play in the playoffs this year and compete for the Stanley Cup.

Hope you derive similar enjoyment watching Huberdeau collect $10.5M to prance his way to 40 points, and hoping/praying Zary/Wolf are the answers to all your prayers. Maybe one day you'll know what it's like to cheer for a real contender, not just one you put on the throne in January before bowing out no later than Game 5 of the second round.

Enjoy cheerleading ex-players that spurned the Flames again this spring!
As long as the Flames work and play hard I'll enjoy watching the games. I have no hard feelings towards those players who are in the 2nd half of their 20's and didn't want to spend the next 4 or 5 years of their careers going through a rebuild... or those Americans who wanted to finish their careers playing in their home countries. Them leaving works out better for the Flames rebuild anyways. So yes... I will enjoy and did enjoy cheering for former players like Tkachuk in the spring playoffs. He was playing for Calgary fans as much as he was playing for Florida fans and he as much as said so. Go Panthers! Oilers suck once again.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
My prediction is Calgary is a bottom 5 team. Kadri will be traded in the next 2 years with 2-3 million retained to make his contract barely digestible. Huberdeau will be a flame for a long while unless they retain 50 percent of his contract and so I'm guessing he retires a flame or gets bought out.

It's a good bet. I wouldn't put a lot of money on that bet myself though. The last decade for the Flames has been yoyo like stuff like top 10 in league then bottom 10 the year after. They've either been exceeding or completely whiffing on reasonable expectations.

I agree we should be bottom 5 this seasons and I think many Flames fans do want to see that, but of all teams out there, it's especially not wise to guarantee the Flames are out due to a peculiar trend of extreme up and down mediocrity we've been on for so long. Just ups and downs for delightful surprise and utter frustration.

giphy.webp

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
As long as the Flames work and play hard I'll enjoy watching the games. I have no hard feelings towards those players who are in the 2nd half of their 20's and didn't want to spend the next 4 or 5 years of their careers going through a rebuild... or those Americans who wanted to finish their careers playing in their home countries. Them leaving works out better for the Flames rebuild anyways. So yes... I will enjoy and did enjoy cheering for former players like Tkachuk in the spring playoffs. He was playing for Calgary fans as much as he was playing for Florida fans and he as much as said so. Go Panthers! Oilers suck once again.

Lol Flames fans love playing the role of bitch apparently.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. The missing piece of your self soothing is the Flames aren't in a rebuild if those players signed, but again, whatever helps you feel good.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Lol Flames fans love playing the role of bitch apparently.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. The missing piece of your self soothing is the Flames aren't in a rebuild if those players signed, but again, whatever helps you feel good.

The arrogance coming from Oiler fans is hilarious :laugh:

The Oil were one lottery ball away from having the worst 15 year stretch in the history of pro sports. Luck sucking their way to a fourth 1st overall pick in a short time span. Literally the only reason they're even relevant is a mechanism the league had to put in because Edmonton was so poorly run. Edmonton have not one but TWO of the all time top 5 playoff point per game players and still can't assemble a group of 18 other players on the ice to win a cup. That's just pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: JurassicTunga

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The arrogance coming from Oiler fans is hilarious :laugh:

The Oil were one lottery ball away from having the worst 15 year stretch in the history of pro sports. Luck sucking their way to a fourth 1st overall pick in a short time span. Literally the only reason they're even relevant is a mechanism the league had to put in because Edmonton was so poorly run. Edmonton have not one but TWO of the all time top 5 playoff point per game players and still can't assemble a group of 18 other players on the ice to win a cup. That's just pathetic.

You clowns continue to rag on the Oilers getting lucky in the draft right as the Flames are attempting to tank so they can get lucky in the draft. Oh but the Flame organization is better though, definitely (lol).

How would you describe the run the Flames are on over the past, I don't know, 30 years? 2004 was cool, but anything else to hang your hat on? October contenders? Made it past the first round once or twice? "Best D in the League/West!" Finished higher in the standings than the Oilers? Flame fans attempting to throw stones is hilarious, their team has been the ass of the NHL for as long as almost anyone not named the Leafs.

Lots to be proud of in Cowtown.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You clowns continue to rag on the Oilers getting lucky in the draft right as the Flames are attempting to tank so they can get lucky in the draft. Oh but the Flame organization is better though, definitely (lol).

How would you describe the run the Flames are on over the past, I don't know, 30 years? 2004 was cool, but anything else to hang your hat on? October contenders? Made it past the first round once or twice? "Best D in the League/West!" Finished higher in the standings than the Oilers? Flame fans attempting to throw stones is hilarious, their team has been the ass of the NHL for as long as almost anyone not named the Leafs.

Lots to be proud of in Cowtown.

Did I hold them up to be a beacon of excellence? No I did not. The Flames have been plagued by a long list of their own problems. But despite never even drafting top 3 they've actually won their division in recent history unlike the McDrai Oilers. The Oilers are like the guy who claims to be a fully self made man that neglects to mention the multi million dollar trust fund daddy set him up with. Needed a generational player to dig them out of the basement. Starting life out on 3rd base and they still can't get home. If that's your source of pride then by all means, fill your boots.

A competent organization would have won by now with all their other top 10 picks on top of winning the McLottery. Year 10 of McDavid and their big offseason acquisition is a washed up bought out Jeff Skinner. Somebody the Buffalo Sabres didn't want on their team. Putting their faith in a guy who's played 30 NHL games to be a 2nd pair RD on a supposed cup contender.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Did I hold them up to be a beacon of excellence? No I did not. The Flames have been plagued by a long list of their own problems. But despite never even drafting top 3 they've actually won their division in recent history unlike the McDrai Oilers. The Oilers are like the guy who claims to be a fully self made man that neglects to mention the multi million dollar trust fund daddy set him up with. Needed a generational player to dig them out of the basement. Starting life out on 3rd base and they still can't get home. If that's your source of pride then by all means, fill your boots.

A competent organization would have won by now with all their other top 10 picks on top of winning the McLottery. Year 10 of McDavid and their big offseason acquisition is a washed up bought out Jeff Skinner. Somebody the Buffalo Sabres didn't want on their team. Putting their faith in a guy who's played 30 NHL games to be a 2nd pair RD on a supposed cup contender.

Oh wow division champs congrats. Hope you think back fondly on how the 2022 season went when you stare up at that banner.

Only in Calgary would signing a guy that scored almost 70 goals over the past two seasons on a 1x$3 deal be considered a good chirp, but when you’re scraping the floor for anything, and I mean anything to go after I guess it makes sense.

Guys signing discount deals to go to a contender - maybe one day you’ll know what it’s like. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy cheering on past favorites that got out of dodge after the Oilers kicked the Flames to the basement.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Oh wow division champs congrats. Hope you think back fondly on how the 2022 season went when you stare up at that banner.

As opposed to all the banners McDavid and Draisaitl have raised :laugh:

Only in Calgary would signing a guy that scored almost 70 goals over the past two seasons on a 1x$3 deal be considered a good chirp, but when you’re scraping the floor for anything, and I mean anything to go after I guess it makes sense.

Guys signing discount deals to go to a contender - maybe one day you’ll know what it’s like. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy cheering on past favorites that got out of dodge after the Oilers kicked the Flames to the basement.

Typical Oiler mindset. Look at all the goals!!!! Think of the goals!!!! He's going to score goals! MOAR GOALZ!!!!!!
59 is almost 60 goals btw. Not 70.

Slower, softer, smaller, and older. Big Brain Bowman really had one for the books.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Typical Oiler mindset. Look at all the goals!!!! Think of the goals!!!! He's going to score goals! MOAR GOALZ!!!!!!

Slower, softer, smaller, and older. Big Brain Bowman really had one for the books.

Sounds like you're at the bargaining stage. Don't worry, you'll get to the end eventually. Hope you enjoy watching the Oilers this season and have an ex-Flame to hitch your wagon to again to keep it interesting for you.

stages-acceptance-reality-problem-landing-page-denial-anger-bargaining-depression-concept-emotional-state-mental-220718114.jpg

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I mean the Oilers won the Western Conference last season
Flames fans have to resort to Cucking former players that bolted from the team for enjoyment

Imagine thinking losing Ryan McLeod and Cody Ceci is a massive loss lol

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I mean the Oilers won the Western Conference last season
Flames fans have to resort to Cucking former players that bolted from the team for enjoyment

Imagine thinking losing Ryan McLeod and Cody Ceci is a massive loss lol

Assuming you mean Tkachuk you uhh do realize in your 'cucking' metaphor what role the Oilers are playing right?
Might want to rethink that one chief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad