Proposal: Calgary and Toronto: Tkachuk-Marner swap over the summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How bad is the trade proposal?

• Total voters

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I like this proposal from a Flames perspective, but also from a Leafs perspective. I actually proposed this about 7 months ago. I would want a small add (2nd rd. pick) for the Flames for taking on the additional salary.
You're nuts.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
1.) to be fair…… they said the same about Brady
2.) Matt hasn’t exactly led the flames to the promise land

Calgary doesn't have the same aspirations at Toronto - in that not a lot is expected from them. Toronto has been disappointing. I would much rather have MT then Marner.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
After seeing the Brady contract negotiations, is it really unreasonable to think Matthew will be asking for $11M on a long-term deal? Certainly, he'll be pushing for $10M+.

The Leafs are really in a bad position with the contracts they have. While having some sandpaper on the top lines will help, Hyman provided that before he signed with Edmonton. Ritchie was supposed to provide it. Foligno was supposed to provide it. If Marner goes, it will have to be for a young cost-controlled player to give the Leafs some cap flexibility in the short term. To lose Marner for around $1M in cap relief isn't worth it.
Hyman was never a "sandpaper" guy. He was groomed by Babcock to do three things, get the puck in the corner, give it to someone else, absorb the hit. That's it.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Value wise it isn't terrible, but it doesn't make sense for Calgary. Gaudreau and Marner are not the make up of a Sutter top 6.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You're nuts.
How so? I think if you ask GMs every single one of them would take Tkachuk ahead of Marner. The issue for us is a complete lack of RHS in the top 9 except for Lindholm, so we have to play Tkachuk and Mangiapane on their bad side. I'd want a 2nd to make up the value difference and I'd still say we lost the trade in terms of value. It just makes our roster better.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Here's the problem if you're Toronto...

You make that trade, but then what do you do if Tkachuk insists on getting the same contract the Leafs gave to Marner?

Dubas would have very little leverage in negotiations... since he either grossly overpays another winger, or he ends up in a contract dispute with the player he just traded Marner for

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Marner is the better player (I dont see anyone claiming otherwise), but Tkachuk brings a skillset Toronto doesn't really have. If they fail in the playoffs again, you gotta think Toronto has to make a big move like this in the offseason.

I’d do this for Toronto.

….but I’d have somebody other than Dubas to negotiate the extension.

lmao that's fair honestly

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ledge And Dairy

The problem is Marner@11>Tkachuk@9
Strongly disagree
8KqWurX.png

"Pass to Matthews" does not make you a better player

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Marner is the better player (I dont see anyone claiming otherwise), but Tkachuk brings a skillset Toronto doesn't really have. If they fail in the playoffs again, you gotta think Toronto has to make a big move like this in the offseason.

They might need to make move along these lines just to make the playoffs.

They probably won’t though.

A move like this happens when Dubas is replaced imho…that’s almost guaranteed to happen if they don’t make the playoffs or out in the 1st round, might even need to win 2 rounds. Maybe sooner, that ice is getting thinner by the day.

Reactions: matthewsisagod

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Hyman was never a "sandpaper" guy. He was groomed by Babcock to do three things, get the puck in the corner, give it to someone else, absorb the hit. That's it.

You forgot to add score shorthanded, powerplay and even strength goals. He is a sandpaper guy and is way better than you are making him out to be. I was skeptical when we signed him, but quite quickly I saw how he fits with skill players. Toronto will definitely miss Hyman and man are the Oilers happy to have him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

But then what about Calgary? If Gaudreau stays, there's no reason to also have Marner, who has a very similar skill set.

The only way I see this making any sense is if the club already know Gaudreau is walking and they are bringing in Eichel. Eichel/Marner in with Gaudreau/Tkachuk out makes some sense, structure and cap wise. Calgary just straight up trading Tkachuk for Marner is pretty senseless, unless it's part of a bigger plan.

If Gaudreau isn't re-signed and Eichel isn't coming to Calgary, then Calgary's top six looks like:

Marner-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-Coleman

That's not a winning team and Calgary gets saddled with Marner's massive contract.

Mar 26, 2010
It is ok, but I still much prefer Marner for Eichel.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It is ok, but I still much prefer Marner for Eichel.

The Leafs main problem appears to be too much cap tied up in high end centres. So your solution is bring an even more centre orientated player making $10+ million....brilliant.

Traptor

Mar 2, 2021
Value is fine as a 1 for 1.
However, as a Calgary fan, I hope they wouldn't do this.
Marner is a good player but we don't need another perimeter player. Even if you put Marner and Gaudreau on different lines, their playstyle is too similar. You don't build a contenders forward core around 20m tied up in x2 perimeter wingers.
I love Gaudreau but one is enough.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Calgary needs a top 4 D as well, right? How about this?
Marner + Rielly for Tkachuck + Gaudreau? I know both are upcoming FA but it gives both teams and players a chance to see how the fit is before committing to anything long term and I think provide better fits in each line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad