Confirmed with Link: Cagnoni signed to ELC

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hodge has a really good point though.
Cagnoni still has to defend bigger guys in the NHL and his size will make it very difficult for him.

As an undersized beer league dman myself (5'10", 170), the hardest part is the defending. Especially the tall guys whose elbow level are at my head level all the time. However, there are some qualities that I have found that guys like us need to succeed:

Pettiness
Vindictiveness
Great poster on hfboards

I possess all of these qualities. Does anyone who has watched the WHL know if Cagnoni possesses any of these virtues?

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think I'd rather have Cagnoni in the AHL, heck even the ECHL if it comes to it. Don't know if the WHL is the place for him to be right now. Feels like that league has taken a step back defensively with how high the point totals have been recently.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But the Sharks don't think he's going to fail (otherwise why even sign him?) so they probably shouldn't ruin his confidence by fast tracking him to a league he's not ready for.
But you do so it doesn't matter what they do with him. They have plenty of LHD's in the AHL. They don't have to play him there every game. You don't actually know if he's ready for it because the AHL isn't that good either.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
But you do so it doesn't matter what they do with him. They have plenty of LHD's in the AHL. They don't have to play him there every game. You don't actually know if he's ready for it because the AHL isn't that good either.
Even better, let's promote him to the AHL just to give him 10 minutes a night every third game. Genius development plan.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

While size can be a factor, the drive and energy to play may be more important.

He may need new challenge of going pro.
One of my hockey coaches favorite quotes. He even gave away a puck at the end of games he called the “junkyard dog” award. It was the most beat to hell puck he could find. Gave it to the person who played the most spirit/grit/tenacity or whatever you want to call it.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
But the Sharks don't think he's going to fail (otherwise why even sign him?) so they probably shouldn't ruin his confidence by fast tracking him to a league he's not ready for.

He obviously isn't going to get taller and he's outgrown the Dub. Best bet is to see if he can translate his skills to pros sooner rather than later. No sense in letting him destroy another year in juniors especially since the Cuda lack any defensive talent. Sink or swim.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Even better, let's promote him to the AHL just to give him 10 minutes a night every third game. Genius development plan.
He'd play a lot more than that even in a rotational arrangement because they can assign him to the ECHL and let him develop there too. You come up with some unbelievably mind-numbing extreme scenarios that aren't at all realistic.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Not a chance. I’m so happy for this kid. Signing his first professional contract. Awesome. I look forward to seeing him play.
You shouldn’t taper your optimism.

I feel like people fundamentally fail to understand how low the level of competition is in the CHL compared to professional leagues.
Given his size, an adjustment will be required. He’s always been small though, and he’s still found success. No need to write off the possibility of him playing in the AHL. Let him have a preseason game and see how he does. I won’t be surprised if they send him back to juniors.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Just want to preface since someone mentioned it, I do think he should spend another year in the WHL. But he could also come into camp and prove he can handle the physical aspect of pro hockey just fine. He’s a smart and calm player. Sometimes that’s all a coach needs to advocate keeping a guy around.

Personally though I want just a litttttle bit more defensively from him. A littttttle bit more physicality on the boards and keeping the puck under pressure. I know he had a very strong season and he is lightyears ahead of someone like Merkley defensively at this age, but his size is very likely to be a factor going forward. I would want him coming into the AHL/NHL as ready as possible to contribute offensively and not get bodied defensively. Who knows though, maybe an offseason of training and a new challenge and he’s just fine come fall.

Last edited:

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Hes not being rushed, if he makes the AHL roster he makes the roster. Hes not going to get any "bigger" in the chl than he will in the AHL. I dont know why this is a big deal.

He has to learn how to play against larger opponents. End of story.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
You can easily ruin the development of a player by rushing them to pro hockey, I like cagnoni alot, and I think he could play in the NHL but he is not ready for the ahl he needs to get stronger and improve as a defender things he can get better at with another year in the chl
You can easily ruin the development of a player by doing literally anything - leaving them down, bringing them up, sending them to Europe, trading for them, trading them away, pairing them here or there.

Cagnoni had a tremendous WHL season and now he's under contract, as he should be. Most prospects fail. Most ELCs wind up being a waste. The odds are that Cagnoni will join those ranks, but you have to give a guy who scores like he does, and whose defensive liabilities and size are plausibly not huge detriments, a chance.

You can't just spend all 50 contract slots on Kyle Burroughs-esque players. All ELCs are risks and you have to take them. Cagnoni is a good player to take a risk on.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I refuse to believe that you're this oblivious. You harp on the percentages of players making the NHL based on where they are drafted, so you clearly have an understanding of what is going on here. These models are simply predictive, using the data available from all past players. They are by no means gospel or a guarantee, but show that a player of that profile projects well. Is he assured of making it? No, of course not. Neither was Merkley, as evidenced by the fact that even at his best, he still had an 11% chance of failing to be an NHLer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Can’t the sharks have Cagnoni go through the AHL training camp and send him back if he doesn’t seem ready?
Yup but I don't think the answer for a guy not ready for the AHL is to go back to juniors. Sometimes, players need to be challenged and even fail in order for their game to improve. I'd rather he play in the ECHL than go back to juniors.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You can easily ruin the development of a player by doing literally anything - leaving them down, bringing them up, sending them to Europe, trading for them, trading them away, pairing them here or there.

Cagnoni had a tremendous WHL season and now he's under contract, as he should be. Most prospects fail. Most ELCs wind up being a waste. The odds are that Cagnoni will join those ranks, but you have to give a guy who scores like he does, and whose defensive liabilities and size are plausibly not huge detriments, a chance.

You can't just spend all 50 contract slots on Kyle Burroughs-esque players. All ELCs are risks and you have to take them. Cagnoni is a good player to take a risk on.
Excellent post; bulletin board worthy. If a prospect is going to be ruined by playing in a league he's not ready for, then he want going to amount to much anyways. If Cagnoni really had that special stuff, he'll figure out how to play in the pros.

• Wow
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad