Confirmed with Link: Cagnoni signed to ELC

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Excellent. I value @Kcoyote3's opinion immensely but can't fathom how a player who destroyed the league like Cagnoni isn't ready for the next step.

Reactions: Sandisfan

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Seriously? He's a 5'9" defenseman. He would get destroyed in the AHL.
Good thinking, sharks should just not sign him to a contract because he’s short.

In all seriousness he’s almost 20 so he’s likely done getting taller. Get him in the AHL and get his used to playing against men. Shelter his playtime if need be and get him adding muscle in the gym.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yet plenty of CHL kids get to the NHL.
Historically less than 5% of them and they're losing ground to the USHL, college hockey and Europe every year.
Smaller players are more rare but if he ever is going to pan out at some point he has to not 'get destroyed' in the AHL.
Of course but it would be insane to rush him to the AHL when he's still only 19 with 2 more years of WHL eligibility.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Historically less than 5% of them and they're losing ground to the USHL, college hockey and Europe every year.

Of course but it would be insane to rush him to the AHL when he's still only 19 with 2 more years of WHL eligibility.
Doesn't change that it still happens and happens regularly. Cagnoni wouldn't be the first player at his height to play in the AHL. He can develop there too and it wouldn't be rushing him at all.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Doesn't change that it still happens and happens regularly. Cagnoni wouldn't be the first player at his height to play in the AHL. He can develop there too and it wouldn't be rushing him at all.
I suppose rushing him to the AHL would give fans the built-in excuse that "John McCarthy ruined his development" when Cagnoni inevitably fails to pan out.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
In all seriousness he’s almost 20 so he’s likely done getting taller. Get him in the AHL and get his used to playing against men. Shelter his playtime if need be and get him adding muscle in the gym.

They could absolutely shelter his playtime on the Cuda next season, if that's the route they want to take. Barracuda have a bunch of returning defensemen who have regular injury troubles and it'd make sense to rotate guys throughout the season.

Think it probably makes more sense to send him back to junior if we're limiting his ice time, though.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

While size can be a factor, the drive and energy to play may be more important.

He may need new challenge of going pro.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Cagnoni turns 20 in this calendar year, so I think I this upcoming season would technically qualify as his overage CHL season.

No reason to rush him though.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's not rushing him if you think he's going to fail anyway so what does it matter to you other than to continue complaining about everything?
But the Sharks don't think he's going to fail (otherwise why even sign him?) so they probably shouldn't ruin his confidence by fast tracking him to a league he's not ready for.

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
You can easily ruin the development of a player by rushing them to pro hockey, I like cagnoni alot, and I think he could play in the NHL but he is not ready for the ahl he needs to get stronger and improve as a defender things he can get better at with another year in the chl

Reactions: Hodge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad