C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
First it is not a small sample size, second u are able to compare how other euro players that are in the NHL now has managed in SHL at the same age. That is not someting to write off as nothing.

Like u said it is not even a option for North american players, thus more questionmarks. Even if i think no one in this top ten will have any problems reachin NHL in some way. In Wills and Leos case it is no data against some data, thats all.

Some players can dominate against its peers but suck against men, that is also a reason to be a tad more carefull.
Nothing is ever apples to apples but this feels eerily similar to when people were negging Hughes in favor of Kakko. Both these guys have taken a path that a bunch of very successful players before them have. The fact that paths aren’t identical with each other is part of the fun/mystery when it does come to comparing draft prospects. But using it as some ultimate trump card is pretty off base imo.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nothing is ever apples to apples but this feels eerily similar to when people were negging Hughes in favor of Kakko. Both these guys have taken a path that a bunch of very successful players before them have. The fact that paths aren’t identical with each other is part of the fun/mystery when it does come to comparing draft prospects. But using it as some ultimate trump card is pretty off base imo.
SHL is better then SM-liiga, thus more answers. Hughes was ranked ahead of Kappo and Carlsson is ranked ahead of Will so it is not similar. Similar would have been if Carlsson was playing in a lower league then Will Smith. But with Smith being ranked higher then Carlsson, but still claimed being better because he played with men.

Carlsson is ranked ahead of Smith
He has played in a better league,(and playoff) that happen to have full grown men in it, even former, and soon to be NHL players.

Could Smith be/become the better prospect/player. Hell yes!
Has he answered the same question marks yet. Hell no!

If two players are equal some scouts sure weigh in SHL results and international play. They get to see how the player act in a tougher enviorment. In this case Carlsson is, for most part, ranked ahead. So that information is just icing on the cake.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Sorry! Will only write about will from this on, in this thread. hate it myself when i dont know were i am. Dont even know if i am in the Will Smith thread right now... and i hate it!

Reactions: Roasted Nuts

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
If Smith was 6'3 i'd take him over Carlsson easily. If Smith was the same size as Carlsson the difference to me is Smith has a great shot & great goal scoring ability while still having like about the same IQ/Vision but you cannot teach size and Carlsson's game will translate better.

Carlssons defense is the difference maker for me

Reactions: Grinner

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Will Smith is about as a creative genius as I've seen as a hockey fan...kid is going to put up numbers. Can't wait to see how his line does 1st year in College.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
They said they’ll talk to Michkov at the draft, but with Grier showing a tendency to get guys he has connections with, it seems inevitable.
another NHL scout told SJHN. “With the Massachusetts stuff, you’re right, Grier and Fitzgerald, Tim Burke of course, if they pass on Will Smith, it won’t be for a lack of information. They’ll have more than anybody.”

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
This is going to be a lot of ifs and something most will say is absolutely guaranteed not to happen, but hear me out.... is Smith a guy who could fall on draft day not because he isn't good but because each team prefers someone else?

Bedard goes 1st, that's the only guarantee.
At 2nd, there've been rumblings that ANA likes Carlsson.
CBJ will easily take Fantilli if he's still there.
At 4, Michkov is a realistic possibility.
At 5, Reinacher has been linked to MTL and there's always a premium on RHD.
At 6, ARI could well take Leonard or Dvorsky. The GMs comments sound like that's the type of player they'd like to target. It's fair to say Smith is by far the best player available in this scenario. Then again, EliteProspects have Smith at 7 behind Leonard and Benson, Hockeyprospect have him at 8 behind guys like Simashev, Barlow and But.
At 7, PHI could well take whoever is left of Leonard and Dvorsky. Compete plays a huge role in the organization and both rate highly in that regard.

As I said, there are lots of ifs in there and I'm sure most people here would say that outside of Bedard going 1st, none of the above will happen. But based on everything we've heard, it really doesn't feel completely unrealistic.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This is going to be a lot of ifs and something most will say is absolutely guaranteed not to happen, but hear me out.... is Smith a guy who could fall on draft day not because he isn't good but because each team prefers someone else?

Bedard goes 1st, that's the only guarantee.
At 2nd, there've been rumblings that ANA likes Carlsson.
CBJ will easily take Fantilli if he's still there.
At 4, Michkov is a realistic possibility.
At 5, Reinacher has been linked to MTL and there's always a premium on RHD.
At 6, ARI could well take Leonard or Dvorsky. The GMs comments sound like that's the type of player they'd like to target. It's fair to say Smith is by far the best player available in this scenario. Then again, EliteProspects have Smith at 7 behind Leonard and Benson, Hockeyprospect have him at 8 behind guys like Simashev, Barlow and But.
At 7, PHI could well take whoever is left of Leonard and Dvorsky. Compete plays a huge role in the organization and both rate highly in that regard.

As I said, there are lots of ifs in there and I'm sure most people here would say that outside of Bedard going 1st, none of the above will happen. But based on everything we've heard, it really doesn't feel completely unrealistic.

All signs point to LA getting PLD, and then Montreal looking at their weak center depth and saying we need more than Dach and Suzuki who's more suited to a defensive role, and Montreal takes the best passing Centerman in the draft in Smith to shore up that position. San Jose also desperately needs Centers and getting Joe Thornton-reincarnate would do wonders in the minds of the fanbase.

I think there's too much value in Smith for him to drop.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
I can’t see Smith dropping past 5. I fully expect the Sharks to take him at 4 (they’re not going to take Michkov) and if for some reason SJ goes another direction, Montreal would definitely take Smith at 5.

Of course, there’s also the possibility he goes at 3 to Columbus. Don’t see it happening, but it’s probably more likely than him falling past 5.

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How's William Nylander as a rough comp?

If you're going for a Leafs comp, it's Marner.

I can’t see Smith dropping past 5. I fully expect the Sharks to take him at 4 (they’re not going to take Michkov) and if for some reason SJ goes another direction, Montreal would definitely take Smith at 5.

Of course, there’s also the possibility he goes at 3 to Columbus. Don’t see it happening, but it’s probably more likely than him falling past 5.

This is disappointing to hear as a Habs fan, was really hoping the Sharks would bite on Michkov.

Reactions: Frozenice

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1687865641114.png

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Maybe they'll go with local boy Ryan Leonard? He's from Amherst which is 80 miles closer? Or maybe local boy Oliver Moore, who is 40 miles closer?

Last time i checked Columbus and Boston where in the same country.
On an international level, a chinese from shanghai or Beijing would be considered loco in china.
Why is it in NA we have to make the distinction? Like what a local boy needs to be within 5 meters of the arena to be considered loco?

grow up

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Last time i checked Columbus and Boston where in the same country.
On an international level, a chinese from shanghai or Beijing would be considered loco in china.
Why is it in NA we have to make the distinction? Like what a local boy needs to be within 5 meters of the arena to be considered loco?

grow up
Because the league is in North America. If Columbus were the only team in the US, then sure. But Boston is his local team, not Columbus.

I can't believe you are still defending this nonsense opinion lol.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Because the league is in North America. If Columbus were the only team in the US, then sure. But Boston is his local team, not Columbus.

I can't believe you are still defending this nonsense opinion lol.

my original argument was always from an international perspective. The league may be in NA but it is drafting from all over the world.

Un blueuet from saguenay is considered a local boy in quebec. Un ptit gars de chez nous.

Ask your english teacher about it, she'll tell you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad