C Noah Dower Nilsson - Frölunda HC U20, J20 Nationell (2023, 73rd, DET)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If this pick wasn’t a slam dunk in the 3rd, nothing was. Kid can play. No doubt about that.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Could change, but so far I think Dower Nilsson will be the leader of the "Pointhype avengers"(easily in Sweden) category of this year. While I have gotten more positive regarding him simply because he does produce insane junior league statistics, his strengths and weaknesses does in my opinion lend him to be a dominant scoring junior, potentially a strong SHLer in the future, but lacking in pro game attributes and NHL potential. He does find great scoring opportunites and posseses offensive creativity , but his skating is worse than most comparables, combined with not greath strength, intensity nor decision making(despite him being straight up great at capitalizing at the j20 level).
Obviously not the same player, but Zion Nybeck had one of the highest scoring j20 seasons ever, at least in a draft year, and was also a pretty skilled player focused on scoring, but lacking qualities that scale really hard the "more pro" you go. I thought Nybeck specifically would be a strong SHL scorer already at this point honestly, and I can see that future come faster for Dower Nilsson, but I personally don't see the NHL player.

Even though he leads the scoring, I think there are better players in Sweden, and even among the ones that might be behind in the "j20 score value chart", I personally see others as more interesting in the long run.

With that said, it will be interesting to see how much crow I might have to eat in a few years, who knows.
Nybeck is 5'8 thats the problem. Also, he is very well developed physically he was drafted at 5'8 176. Now he is like 5'8 190.
Btw, he had a strong season in Allsvenskan.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I see him as a slower version of Alex Nylander. Lacks physical tools and his compete level isn't high enough.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Nybeck is 5'8 thats the problem. Also, he is very well developed physically he was drafted at 5'8 176. Now he is like 5'8 190.
Btw, he had a strong season in Allsvenskan.
Good for him. The comparison was just scoring in draft years in contrast with NHL potential, though.
I haven't watched Zion closely in years, but he has a lot of potential on home soil!

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I see him as a slower version of Alex Nylander. Lacks physical tools and his compete level isn't high enough.
Yeah I think this was a bad pick. Bad draft overall for Detroit in my opinion (at least on the surface). Who knows? Maybe they’ll get a few good players.

They could’ve drafted Ziemmer, Brzustewicz, Price, Perron, or even Barkey who went after him in the 3rd round.

I haven’t seen it with Noah. I do not see an NHL player there.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah I think this was a bad pick. Bad draft overall for Detroit in my opinion (at least on the surface). Who knows? Maybe they’ll get a few good players.

They could’ve drafted Ziemmer, Brzustewicz, Price, Perron, or even Barkey who went after him in the 3rd round.

I haven’t seen it with Noah. I do not see an NHL player there.
Odds are few if any of those guys will be NHLers though. Dower Nilsson seems like as good a gamble as any in the 3rd round. Definitely has skill.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
He was out with a shoulder injury so I'm guessing he's still recovering from that. It was expected he'd potentially miss the start of the season.
Ah I see, thanks for telling us. His Eliteprospects page said nothing about it and I thought it was weird that he had 0 games played when Frolunda U20 has almost played 20 games so far

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ah I see, thanks for telling us. His Eliteprospects page said nothing about it and I thought it was weird that he had 0 games played when Frolunda U20 has almost played 20 games so far
Yeah he's back practicing I believe and may get into some games before christmas.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Handful of games with Frolunda in January but looks like he's not playing now. Was he re-injured?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Hopefully he stays healthy this year. Always like the gamble/swing the Red Wings took here, as Dower Nilsson was one of the best junior players in Sweden at that time. Needs to get bigger minutes in the SHL in order to develop, gotta earn the trust though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad