C Noah Dower Nilsson - Frölunda HC U20, J20 Nationell (2023, 73rd, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Probably one of my favorite draft picks this year and is having a historic potential record breaking season in the U20 league, I have some questions about him but he oozes talent, offense, and creativity. Very excited to see him at the WJC.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Probably one of my favorite draft picks this year and is having a historic potential record breaking season in the U20 league, I have some questions about him but he oozes talent, offense, and creativity. Very excited to see him at the WJC.
Think he makes the team? Stenberg isn't a lock so I can't see Noah making it. Liam I think makes it though.

I think also, that on the topic on questions on his game, I thought his skating could improve, and I think it has a bit. He isn't the best skater but it's better than it was to start the season.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Think he makes the team? Stenberg isn't a lock so I can't see Noah making it. Liam I think makes it though.

I think also, that on the topic on questions on his game, I thought his skating could improve, and I think it has a bit. He isn't the best skater but it's better than it was to start the season.
It would be a tragedy if he didn't. I think he's better than Stenberg and behind Carlsson in this draft. #2 Swedish forward for me. Ohgren and Ostlund he's on par with, I think.

He should go ahead of Born, Nordh, Hasa and Johnson for sure IMO, and I'd put him above Rudslatt and Wagner too. Hofenbaeur might still be injured when it happens as well. I don't think he's a world beater or guaranteed to get on but he should at least be invited to camp and tried on the 3rd or 2nd line and moved up or down the line up.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Lots of other players mentioned recently in this thread. Honzek, Cristall, Reinbacher, Stenberg.

Yeah, Dower Nilsson looks better than all of them. Up to #13 on my list.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Is he still injured? He was out at the end of last year and he hasn't played since. Hurts his stock a bit since his peers have gone on to the SHL.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
At the very least he deserves to be loaned out for some Allsvenskan games. I don’t know how often Frölunda do that with their young talent though.
His brother Liam is already loaned to Västerås, so there's a connection there. A team that needs offense like Västerviks makes sense as well.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Is he still injured? He was out at the end of last year and he hasn't played since. Hurts his stock a bit since his peers have gone on to the SHL.

Doesn't work that way. He's not getting any meaningful minutes in the SHL this season no matter how well he plays in J20.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t know about this guy. From what I’ve seen, I’m just not a fan of his game. Maybe I need to watch him more but he just isn’t the type of player I would want to draft. His speed and decision making concern me, but his motor and overall intensity are a problem for me. I definitely don’t think he’s a 1st round pick at this point I think he should probably go late 2nd to mid 3rd.

He has great numbers in the J20, but I just don’t see it. I’m not sure if he has the tools to be an effective NHL player.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I don’t know about this guy. From what I’ve seen, I’m just not a fan of his game. Maybe I need to watch him more but he just isn’t the type of player I would want to draft. His speed and decision making concern me, but his motor and overall intensity are a problem for me. I definitely don’t think he’s a 1st round pick at this point I think he should probably go late 2nd to mid 3rd.

He has great numbers in the J20, but I just don’t see it. I’m not sure if he has the tools to be an effective NHL player.
His decision making starred to look better right before he got injured. His skating is his biggest flaw, but he can be a dominant player if he fixes it. It's honestly either a very good thing or a very bad thing if it's his biggest weakness.

I think he has the tools to be an NHLer, it all depends on if he gets better with the tools he doesn't have.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Could change, but so far I think Dower Nilsson will be the leader of the "Pointhype avengers"(easily in Sweden) category of this year. While I have gotten more positive regarding him simply because he does produce insane junior league statistics, his strengths and weaknesses does in my opinion lend him to be a dominant scoring junior, potentially a strong SHLer in the future, but lacking in pro game attributes and NHL potential. He does find great scoring opportunites and posseses offensive creativity , but his skating is worse than most comparables, combined with not greath strength, intensity nor decision making(despite him being straight up great at capitalizing at the j20 level).
Obviously not the same player, but Zion Nybeck had one of the highest scoring j20 seasons ever, at least in a draft year, and was also a pretty skilled player focused on scoring, but lacking qualities that scale really hard the "more pro" you go. I thought Nybeck specifically would be a strong SHL scorer already at this point honestly, and I can see that future come faster for Dower Nilsson, but I personally don't see the NHL player.

Even though he leads the scoring, I think there are better players in Sweden, and even among the ones that might be behind in the "j20 score value chart", I personally see others as more interesting in the long run.

With that said, it will be interesting to see how much crow I might have to eat in a few years, who knows.

Reactions: BKarchitect

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Could change, but so far I think Dower Nilsson will be the leader of the "Pointhype avengers"(easily in Sweden) category of this year. While I have gotten more positive regarding him simply because he does produce insane junior league statistics, his strengths and weaknesses does in my opinion lend him to be a dominant scoring junior, potentially a strong SHLer in the future, but lacking in pro game attributes and NHL potential. He does find great scoring opportunites and posseses offensive creativity , but his skating is worse than most comparables, combined with not greath strength, intensity nor decision making(despite him being straight up great at capitalizing at the j20 level).
Obviously not the same player, but Zion Nybeck had one of the highest scoring j20 seasons ever, at least in a draft year, and was also a pretty skilled player focused on scoring, but lacking qualities that scale really hard the "more pro" you go. I thought Nybeck specifically would be a strong SHL scorer already at this point honestly, and I can see that future come faster for Dower Nilsson, but I personally don't see the NHL player.

Even though he leads the scoring, I think there are better players in Sweden, and even among the ones that might be behind in the "j20 score value chart", I personally see others as more interesting in the long run.

With that said, it will be interesting to see how much crow I might have to eat in a few years, who knows.
Not wrong. I think Dower Nilsson has more projectable talents than Nybeck, who was far more raw at the time. I think his decision making is a mixed bag and he's shown times of decent skating, he just needs to get better at being intense and more natural with his skate work. Nothing a good skating coach can't fix but he's still a WIP player.

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Agree on Dower Nilsson>Nybeck, I just felt that the comparison fit relatively well as to how I think certain qualities scale up in the pro game. Nybeck was also way more overhyped at the start of his draft year. I'm obviously colder on Dower than some, especially because I don't think he fits a role that isn't being about just being a scorer, and in the big league those guys are so much better I dont see him getting there. But will be happy if he does!

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Agree on Dower Nilsson>Nybeck, I just felt that the comparison fit relatively well as to how I think certain qualities scale up in the pro game. Nybeck was also way more overhyped at the start of his draft year. I'm obviously colder on Dower than some, especially because I don't think he fits a role that isn't being about just being a scorer, and in the big league those guys are so much better I dont see him getting there. But will be happy if he does!
I see him as the Jason Robertson of this year.

In that he is a high scoring junior player with questionable skating that also with questions on how his game will translate to professional hockey.

It worked out well for Robertson, I’m more sceptical with LDN, but there is definite promise to his game.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I see him as the Jason Robertson of this year.

In that he is a high scoring junior player with questionable skating that also with questions on how his game will translate to professional hockey.

It worked out well for Robertson, I’m more sceptical with LDN, but there is definite promise to his game.
Ok, but what about NDN? ;)

The fact the brothers have the same glaring issue, their skating, is a little interesting/disheartening. Makes you wonder where it went wrong. Also, if there's a way to fix it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad