Prospect Info: C/LW - William Zellers - 2024 #76

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Watched him at the Hlinka. Good scoring instincts and finishing ability. Size / skating combo is a question mark. Looked more like a late pick to me there but I didn't watch any of his Shattuck games. Seems like a top 6 or bust player from what I saw, which isn't a lot.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Didn’t his dad play for Calgary?

1719684658869.jpeg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seems like a long-term project, doesn't go to North Dakota for another two years meaning he's going to play in the USHL this upcoming season. He was clearly the best player on SSM, which we all know is a legendary programme.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Watched him at the Hlinka. Good scoring instincts and finishing ability. Size / skating combo is a question mark. Looked more like a late pick to me there but I didn't watch any of his Shattuck games. Seems like a top 6 or bust player from what I saw, which isn't a lot.
He's got a lot of skill and was good at the Hlinka as you said. Probably my favorite US HS/HS-Prep player in the draft. But he was playing above his true talent level, as he was already too good for HS-Prep competition last year, probably should have left and actually challenged himself in the USHL. Now we all get to see if he can dominate as an 18 year old before going off to North Dakota, one of the top talent developers in the NCAA as we all know.

It was a bit early to make the gamble on Zellers, as there were more proven players I was more comfortable with (ex: Misa, Kiviharju, Marques, Mrsic, Patterson, & Romani), but there's boom potential here. You do worry about him running out the clock to August 15 2028 UFA, but you have to first hope he pops off in junior and the NCAA before then.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's got a lot of skill and was good at the Hlinka as you said. Probably my favorite US HS/HS-Prep player in the draft. But he was playing above his true talent level, as he was already too good for HS-Prep competition last year, probably should have left and actually challenged himself in the USHL. Now we all get to see if he can dominate as an 18 year old before going off to North Dakota, one of the top talent developers in the NCAA as we all know.

It was a bit early to make the gamble on Zellers, as there were more proven players I was more comfortable with (ex: Misa, Kiviharju, Marques, Mrsic, Patterson, & Romani), but there's boom potential here. You do worry about him running out the clock to August 15 2028 UFA, but you have to first hope he pops off in junior and the NCAA before then.
As long as he’s in school the rights will keep going. Colorado loves these players they can have rights to for 6-7 years (if they even remember who they are by then).

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

I'd be more worried if Zellers is good before worrying about him walking to UFA. I haven't seen enough of him to have a strong opinion, but I'm not sure if he's even better than Humphreys is. A 30 goal / 60 point season should be the minimum expectation next year for Zellers as a 3rd rounder in his plus 1 in the USHL.

Mustard is the one that got away for me. Only 9 picks there, but we'll see how things play out.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
As long as he’s in school the rights will keep going. Colorado loves these players they can have rights to for 6-7 years (if they even remember who they are by then).
:laugh: My god how old was Denis Parshin before the Avs lost his rights? Something like 30 or 31? Of course, the CBA was changed ~4 months after he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad