C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Shame he had to go out this way (getting benched for most of the period), but he had a great tournament.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This is what I told others who had the idea that it be great to ice a bunch of under 19 year olds a if the nhl cannot go in 2026.

this is perfect example.

In the 1st period Johnson got easily man handled by Swedish men. Now he did still have a good game and I’m not really sure why he got benched since his puck possession game is still better than most players on that team and he was not the main problem.

anyways he looked real good given the opportunity. Solid prospect very good prospect.

Reactions: Kalv and teddygmr

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Hoping to get some insight into how he's been playing since being back from the Olympics.

I watched him today and thought he was very meh. It seemed the coach pulled back some minutes in the third period thinking they had it in the bag, yet they nearly blew it. I saw him a little bit after the game went 4-2. I am fairly certain the kid will be on the first flight to Columbus after their season is over but I am just not sure if he should move to the NHL yet. I think another year in Michigan would probably be best for him. How do Michigan fans/watchers feel?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hoping to get some insight into how he's been playing since being back from the Olympics.

I watched him today and thought he was very meh. It seemed the coach pulled back some minutes in the third period thinking they had it in the bag, yet they nearly blew it. I saw him a little bit after the game went 4-2. I am fairly certain the kid will be on the first flight to Columbus after their season is over but I am just not sure if he should move to the NHL yet. I think another year in Michigan would probably be best for him. How do Michigan fans/watchers feel?

This is from the coaching staff
Muckalt is a former NHL'er and the assistant coach and they talk with the Michigan Play-by-Play announcers and give them stats, things players are good at and improvements they should make for color commentary to use on air.

They said he needs to work on his play in the neutral zone and go more North South just to gain entry into the zone. Because they were having problems with offsides and him doing too much.

Once he is the zone you see his high end skill on display.
So Muckalt was saying gain the zone then you can go "east-west" because when you do it in the neutral zone your line mates lose all their speed waiting to see what you do, thats why Beniers is usually the puck carrier.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

Why not have him in the ahl next year? He'll be able to get adjusted to the pro game and have more time to focus on strength and conditioning

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
This is from the coaching staff
Muckalt is a former NHL'er and the assistant coach and they talk with the Michigan Play-by-Play announcers and give them stats, things players are good at and improvements they should make for color commentary to use on air.

They said he needs to work on his play in the neutral zone and go more North South just to gain entry into the zone. Because they were having problems with offsides and him doing too much.

Once he is the zone you see his high end skill on display.
So Muckalt was saying gain the zone then you can go "east-west" because when you do it in the neutral zone your line mates lose all their speed waiting to see what you do, thats why Beniers is usually the puck carrier.
Thanks for the insight. Its important he gets that under control because doing that in the NHL can get your head taken off.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Why not have him in the ahl next year? He'll be able to get adjusted to the pro game and have more time to focus on strength and conditioning
We could do that, but Cleveland could be a tire fire again next year. Like I said I firmly expect to see him in the NHL next year though

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
We could do that, but Cleveland could be a tire fire again next year. Like I said I firmly expect to see him in the NHL next year though
CBJ is already working in Sillinger and Chinakhov and probably others I dont know of, so I got worried theyd want to not have too many rookie guys

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He'd benefit from another year of college hockey.
He has a lot more maturing to do but I'm not sure college hockey is the place to do it.

The AHL schedule is similar with a lot of free weekdays to focus on strength training. That and KJ is good enough to get away with a lot of bad habits in college. Playing against stronger players will force him to mature his game.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They said Nash was in the house and they have been meeting for coffee regularly discussing things

If they feel he is ready
Got to clean up that neutral zone play, he's just got to

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They said Nash was in the house and they have been meeting for coffee regularly discussing things

If they feel he is ready
Got to clean up that neutral zone play, he's just got to
I really doubt they think he's ready for full time NHL duty.

It's more likely they'll just give him some NHL games this Spring to get him some NHL experience. He'll be in the AHL for much of next year unless he has a monster* offseason in the gym.

*pun unintended.

Reactions: CBJx614

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
He has the skill but will he be able to figure out how to navigate the physicality of the NHL is the question.

I would give him a year in the AHL.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
1649456026216.png

Signing their ELC’s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad