C Jett Luchanko - Guelph Storm, OHL (2024, 13th, PHI)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
1.5PPG+ is not "pretty common" for draft eligible players. Nobody in the OHL hit that mark this year, and I'd say with almost certainty that no other draft eligible player CHL wide hit that mark either.

This year there were none, last year Benson scored at 1.63... and was picked 13 OA.

I'm pretty sure there were some kids who scored at 1.5+ PPG level in their draft year. So it hapens regularly, unlike, say, 2 PPG level, which is really rare nowadays.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
This year there were none, last year Benson scored at 1.63... and was picked 13 OA.

I'm pretty sure there were some kids who scored at 1.5+ PPG level in their draft year. So it hapens regularly, unlike, say, 2 PPG level, which is really rare nowadays.
1.5PPG+ isn't common and doesn't happen regularly at all.

A handful of players over a number of drafts isn't regular or common.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Thomas isn't 18 though, and his CHL stats weren't as good as Luchanko's. The difference isn't that big of course, so you can say both players are pretty close if you take just CHL stats.

Thomas’s post-draft development has far exceeded expectations, I’m not comparing the two as prospects.

Usually agree with your prospect takes. But I think when you look at the number of assists Luchanko had--20 more than the any other forward on his team and 3rd among draft-eligible players in the OHL--it inidicates an excellent facilitator if not pure passer.

Excellent facilitator, sure, but Thomas was top-10 in assists among NHL forwards this year and top-5 among centers. He’s one of the best passers in the game.

Chandler Stephenson is the comparison I would use. Also a fantastic passer, but his skating is just as big a part of his game. Would be a great outcome at 13th overall.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Thomas isn't 18 though, and his CHL stats weren't as good as Luchanko's. The difference isn't that big of course, so you can say both players are pretty close if you take just CHL stats.
London almost always puts an internal ceiling on minutes for their 17 year olds, hence why Thomas didn't have incredible DY stats. He got more opportunity the next year, popped off, and then was traded for a haul at the deadline to Hamilton. Makes the Blues as a 19 year old and plays on the 3rd line in their Cup win.

Reactions: ameselare

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
London almost always puts an internal ceiling on minutes for their 17 year olds, hence why Thomas didn't have incredible DY stats. He got more opportunity the next year, popped off, and then was traded for a haul at the deadline to Hamilton. Makes the Blues as a 19 year old and plays on the 3rd line in their Cup win.

We shall see how good is Luchanko next season...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Late riser with a robust game who can skate like the wind. Too much attention being focused on his OHL draft year PPG.

I think he’s gonna be a really good one.

Invest in rising stocks.

Reactions: montreal

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Late riser with a robust game who can skate like the wind. Too much attention being focused on his OHL draft year PPG.

I think he’s gonna be a really good one.

Invest in rising stocks.

Also 6-8 months younger than most of the top picks.

People often lack context when projecting.

I mean, I would have picked Buium. But I see reports of elite skating, high end passing and elite IQ - then went back and watched a few games to confirm to myself and I think “Wait - all that for a 3C, maybe 2C? The math doesn’t add up.” All other skills are good to very good and his shot stinks. That’s the consensus report. That doesn’t scream middle 6 to me.

Somebody projected him last year and everybody ran with it. I think the Thomas comparison is a good one.

IQ is a big one. Sean Couturier doesn’t have a single elite trait except that IQ, and he put up 2 70 point seasons and won a Selke. In fact, Buium’s skills are the same - just “good” physical tools overall, but high IQ - so I think he’ll be a good one as well. He’s just quite a bit older and his numbers aligned with his breakout. Jett only broke out the 2nd half of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneColdAnimal

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I mean yeah, it’s his age 18 season and Draft year. Of course he is going to be either 17 or 18.

It's not his age 18 season, he was 17. He's STILL 17. NEXT season is his age 18 season. So not sure why you're pointing that out really.

Besides, the part I'm not agreeing with is that it's common for players his age to score at 1.5 ppg, and so far he's come up with ONE name...which really sounds uncommon to me. Common happens a lot. This doesn't.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018

Great video by EP, depicting the mature game Luchanko plays with such great detail and pro habits. Was upset with the Luchanko pick at the time and still don’t believe PHI made the right choice at 13. I guess time will tell, but make no mistake about it, Luchanko plays the game the right way and has all the tools needed to be a middle 6er, at the very least.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
As a Flyers fan I’ve made peace with this pick and have warmed up to Luchanko. In a vacuum he’s an intriguing player. Problem is that the draft isn’t in a vacuum and he will always be compared to Buium. I don’t know the situation with the Flyers and college prospects, especially someone with the same agent as Cutter Gauthier so even though I would have drafted Buium I recognize that there was a chance their relationship with his agent was soured to the point of “do not draft”. Without insider knowledge I don’t think it’s possible to really evaluate the situation accurately

Anyway, if Luchanko turns into a great skating, high IQ, 200 ft, all situations 60-70 point center, you are happy with that all day at pick 13. That range in the draft definitely doesn’t guarantee a star caliber player. I think Luchanko will be a player that is better than his stats show and will mesh well with a lot of players and be effective in different situations. The big question is if he has another level he can reach to be a legit 1C. Guelph was a bad team and he didn’t have much help. He could be the kind of player that elevates his game when playing with smarter, better players; not to mention he’s extremely young and was weeks away from being in next year’s draft. I’m not sure how Guelph will look next year but I think it will be telling if he can turn into a 90+ point player; if that happens I’ll be more optimistic that his ceiling may be higher than what is thought. He has all the qualities and skills you’d like to see in a center

Also they shouldn’t rush him

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
As a Flyers fan I’ve made peace with this pick and have warmed up to Luchanko. In a vacuum he’s an intriguing player. Problem is that the draft isn’t in a vacuum and he will always be compared to Buium. I don’t know the situation with the Flyers and college prospects, especially someone with the same agent as Cutter Gauthier so even though I would have drafted Buium I recognize that there was a chance their relationship with his agent was soured to the point of “do not draft”. Without insider knowledge I don’t think it’s possible to really evaluate the situation accurately

Anyway, if Luchanko turns into a great skating, high IQ, 200 ft, all situations 60-70 point center, you are happy with that all day at pick 13. That range in the draft definitely doesn’t guarantee a star caliber player. I think Luchanko will be a player that is better than his stats show and will mesh well with a lot of players and be effective in different situations. The big question is if he has another level he can reach to be a legit 1C. Guelph was a bad team and he didn’t have much help. He could be the kind of player that elevates his game when playing with smarter, better players; not to mention he’s extremely young and was weeks away from being in next year’s draft. I’m not sure how Guelph will look next year but I think it will be telling if he can turn into a 90+ point player; if that happens I’ll be more optimistic that his ceiling may be higher than what is thought. He has all the qualities and skills you’d like to see in a center

Great Write up here! My ideal ceiling for him would be them same at you a two-way 60-70 point centre, which would make him an upper echelon 2C.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gauthier and Buium's agent is the same agent now holding up the Rangers from trading Trouba. He poisoned the water by pedaling to teams that Trouba wouldn't report if traded. Of course, it would be a violation of Trouba's contract, but it's effective enough because no team is trading for a potential problem like that and a punishment wouldn't be able to be enforced before the violation occurred.

Would the Flyers want to potentially deal with this guy and potentially dictating to them how Buium's signing would have to go with when it happens, the situations he gets, and what his contract looks like? They already had to deal with this behavior when it came to Gauthier. There are numerous other situations where Kurt Overhardt has shown why he should be banned by the NHLPA.

If I was a GM in any pro sport, I'd try to avoid players that have the problem agents. There's enough players out there to build your team with. You don't want some unethical person with no morals holding your organization captive. Pep Guardiola (the legendary football/soccer manager) famously didn't buy players who were advised by Mino Raiola (the now deceased super agent who strong-armed teams).

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Gauthier and Buium's agent is the same agent now holding up the Rangers from trading Trouba. He poisoned the water by pedaling to teams that Trouba wouldn't report if traded. Of course, it would be a violation of Trouba's contract, but it's effective enough because no team is trading for a potential problem like that and a punishment wouldn't be able to be enforced before the violation occurred.

Would the Flyers want to potentially deal with this guy and potentially dictating to them how Buium's signing would have to go with when it happens, the situations he gets, and what his contract looks like? They already had to deal with this behavior when it came to Gauthier. There are numerous other situations where Kurt Overhardt has shown why he should be banned by the NHLPA.

If I was a GM in any pro sport, I'd try to avoid players that have the problem agents. There's enough players out there to build your team with. You don't want some unethical person with no morals holding your organization captive. Pep Guardiola (the legendary football/soccer manager) famously didn't buy players who were advised by Mino Raiola (the now deceased super agent who strong-armed teams).
What about problem players like Adam Fox who strong armed two teams into making sure he would only sign with the Rangers? Players and agents use leverage

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

I mean a 60-70 point two-way center at #13 would be a phenomenal pick.

I looked at other #13 picks in the past few years and it ranges from players like Bean and Dellandrea to players like Suzuki.

Reactions: Devonator

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I mean a 60-70 point two-way center at #13 would be a phenomenal pick.

I looked at other #13 picks in the past few years and it ranges from players like Bean and Dellandrea to players like Suzuki.
I agree, but since I’m a Flyers fan my fingers are crossed for something more though I’m not exactly expecting it

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Overhardt also represents Ryan Johansen whose contract the Flyers just terminated. There definitely could be some smoke to the Flyers wanting nothing to do with Overhardt. The other Flyer represented by Overhardt is Joel Farabee, whose name has been in trade rumors. Torts also publicly called out Overhardt 2 seasons ago and told him to "shut up."

Reactions: jfhabs

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Overhardt also represents Ryan Johansen whose contract the Flyers just terminated. There definitely could be some smoke to the Flyers wanting nothing to do with Overhardt. The other Flyer represented by Overhardt is Joel Farabee, whose name has been in trade rumors. Torts also publicly called out Overhardt 2 seasons ago and told him to "shut up."

"
Farabee, who is represented by Shawn Hunwick of KO Sports, Inc. "

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium