Prospect Info: C - Jake Fisher - 2024 #121

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I like the player. Choppy skater, but gets around the ice. North / south game. Good forechecker, always on the puck. Good shot in the offensive zone. Defensively, he supports his defenseman well in puck battles or defensive zone retrievals which helps to exit the zone. He is also strong in coverage using ether his size or stick to win pucks.

Likely projects as a 4th line center if he makes it.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I like this pick. Choppy skater, but gets around the ice. North / south game. Good forechecker, always on the puck. Good shot in the offensive zone. Defensively, he supports his defenseman well in puck battles or defensive zone retrievals which helps to exit the zone. He is also strong in coverage using ether his size or stick to win pucks.

Sounds like a shittier Connor Bleackley.

What could go wrong…

Reactions: Alienblood

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I like this pick. Choppy skater, but gets around the ice. North / south game. Good forechecker, always on the puck. Good shot in the offensive zone. Defensively, he supports his defenseman well in puck battles or defensive zone retrievals which helps to exit the zone. He is also strong in coverage using ether his size or stick to win pucks.

For a pick outside the top 100, that wouldn't be a bad result. "Big guy who wins board battles" is a role every team needs on their 4th line & PK.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seems like a late bloomer, he had a pretty damn good season in the USHL this prior season with Fargo who won the USHL title. Seems that this was more of an organisational philosophy pick to get somebody that can excel in Bednar's system.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
1719697670661.png

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
For a pick outside the top 100, that wouldn't be a bad result. "Big guy who wins board battles" is a role every team needs on their 4th line & PK.
Additionally, since he's going to Denver, the Avalanche development staff & management have direct access to working with him. Not saying it's going to work into turning him into an NHLer, but we've seen tons of teams selecting guys in their backyard and/or steering them to CHL or NCAA teams in their backyard in order to have direct access for development purposes.

Reactions: McMetal

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
Additionally, since he's going to Denver, the Avalanche development staff & management have direct access to working with him. Not saying it's going to work into turning him into an NHLer, but we've seen tons of teams selecting guys in their backyard and/or steering them to CHL or NCAA teams in their backyard in order to have direct access for development purposes.
At this point I trust U Denver’s development more than the Avs. Not sure how much you know about the Avs and their drafting/development but it’s been subpar. I honestly like this draft this summer. Could be sneaky good. But yea the Avs have definitely held interest in DU players over the years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
At this point I trust U Denver’s development more than the Avs. Not sure how much you know about the Avs and their drafting/development but it’s been subpar. I honestly like this draft this summer. Could be sneaky good. But yea the Avs have definitely held interest in DU players over the years.
Not a post against you personally... I just feel some facts need to start coming out on what the Avs do at the AHL level.

In the Eagles era (18-19 on, ) and players who played more than 20 games for the Eagles:

100 Game NHLers:
AJ Greer (projects to 200+)
Dominic Toninato (probably won't hit 200 despite being at 184)
Sheldon Dries
Jacob MacDonald
Kiefer Sherwood (will easily get 200+ at 187 now and established)

200+ game NHLer (typical threshold for making it):
Logan O'Connor
Ryan Graves

Of note too, Francouz only hit 73 games and doesn't count. Newhook misses the Eagles' threshold. Kyle Burroughs also doesn't count due to the oddities in the Covid year, only 11 regular season AHL games. Will likely hit 200+ NHL.

That's 7 guys with already 100+ games and at least 4 will hit 200+ games. It excludes a few who could be tangentially related and hitting that NHL threshold. The first ~3 seasons produced ~6 guys. This is very far from elite, but this this development record is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. It also shows that with some actual talent, they can get guys into the NHL. Greer would have done it here if Bednar had a higher tolerance for penalties. Sherwood was a victim of depth.

Reactions: McMetal and AvsFan4

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Not a post against you personally... I just feel some facts need to start coming out on what the Avs do at the AHL level.

In the Eagles era (18-19 on, ) and players who played more than 20 games for the Eagles:

100 Game NHLers:
AJ Greer (projects to 200+)
Dominic Toninato (probably won't hit 200 despite being at 184)
Sheldon Dries
Jacob MacDonald
Kiefer Sherwood (will easily get 200+ at 187 now and established)

200+ game NHLer (typical threshold for making it):
Logan O'Connor
Ryan Graves

Of note too, Francouz only hit 73 games and doesn't count. Newhook misses the Eagles' threshold. Kyle Burroughs also doesn't count due to the oddities in the Covid year, only 11 regular season AHL games. Will likely hit 200+ NHL.

That's 7 guys with already 100+ games and at least 4 will hit 200+ games. It excludes a few who could be tangentially related and hitting that NHL threshold. The first ~3 seasons produced ~6 guys. This is very far from elite, but this this development record is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. It also shows that with some actual talent, they can get guys into the NHL. Greer would have done it here if Bednar had a higher tolerance for penalties. Sherwood was a victim of depth.
But isn't it fair to argue that there isn't really any recent history success?

Of the seven 100+ game guys plus Francouz (8 total) you brought up, 6 of them were on that initial 2018 Eagles team, and MacDonald and Sherwood were on the next year's team. That was 5/6 years ago.

Who have they graduated into the NHL in any meaningful fashion since then? It's been a half a decade now.

I get that they've been a contending team, and that makes it tougher to graduate guys. But still, they trade future 2nd/3rd round picks every damn year to shore up the 3rd/4th line depth with 30+ year old dudes. Would be nice if they could fill those spots with a draft pick or AHL guy or two.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Of the seven 100+ game guys plus Francouz (8 total) you brought up, 6 of them were on that initial 2018 Eagles team, and MacDonald and Sherwood were on the next year's team. That was 5/6 years ago.

Who have they graduated into the NHL in any meaningful fashion since then? It's been a half a decade now.

I get that they've been a contending team, and that makes it tougher to graduate guys. But still, they trade future 2nd/3rd round picks every damn year to shore up the 3rd/4th line depth with 30+ year old dudes. Would be nice if they could fill those spots with a draft pick or AHL guy or two.
To get to 200+ games, that’s pretty much 3 seasons. LOC just got 200 games at the end of 22-23. It takes time. Maybe Malinski is the next guy? I have my doubts, but easily possible. Englund a more recent guy, looks like he will too.

The 21-22 team contained Englund, MacDonald, Barron, Sherwood, and Annunen. How many more would be enough?

AvsFan4

Jul 18, 2024
That’s very fair. I also probably could’ve been way more detailed and provided explanations on what I meant as opposed to being vague. And I did take this personally so expect a lawsuit to arrive any day now in the mail. Jokes aside, my actual gripe was toward their recent failures during this Cup window that could be closing sooner than some of us would like to admit. Most of the errors/misses they’ve had (Kaut, Jost, Olausson to name ones coming to mind) were under previous scouting management. Maybe with this Scott Harris at the helm, we can start to turn things around. I don’t think we’ve officially announced Wade’s replacement yet, but it seems Harris could be running the show this draft. And like I said, I think this was a sneaky decent draft. Got good value at our picks IMO

• Haha
Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Boy what a list of career minor leaguers getting NHL games. Impressive.
We both know that the AHL isn’t for developing top guys. They are there for a season or two max and move on. If they don’t, they simply aren’t impact players as the talent isn’t there. The AHL is for developing depth. The Avs org does have an ability to get players to take the step into being NHLers. Role guys, but NHLers.

That’s very fair. I also probably could’ve been way more detailed and provided explanations on what I meant as opposed to being vague. And I did take this personally so expect a lawsuit to arrive any day now in the mail. Jokes aside, my actual gripe was toward their recent failures during this Cup window that could be closing sooner than some of us would like to admit. Most of the errors/misses they’ve had (Kaut, Jost, Olausson to name ones coming to mind) were under previous scouting management. Maybe with this Scott Harris at the helm, we can start to turn things around. I don’t think we’ve officially announced Wade’s replacement yet, but it seems Harris could be running the show this draft. And like I said, I think this was a sneaky decent draft. Got good value at our picks IMO
You’ll have you day in court sir!

I wasn’t a fan of this draft personally, but the Avs clearly need to get better at drafting. I’m not sure if Harris will be that guy, but we can hope!

Reactions: Murzu

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is it a development problem or a lack of spotting talent from the scouting team? I mean, the Avs have drafted blokes who retired after their third/fourth year getting drafted or picking 1st rounders who are barely an ECHL-quality player. No development system can save those lost souls. Avs can absolutely do a lot better when it comes to funds for the farm system, but Kroenke doesn't seem like that type of sports investor. Just look at their practice facility situation for the past 15+ years. The only thing going for it is that it has a great view...outside.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Is it a development problem or a lack of spotting talent from the scouting team? I mean, the Avs have drafted blokes who retired after their third/fourth year getting drafted or picking 1st rounders who are barely an ECHL-quality player. No development system can save those lost souls. Avs can absolutely do a lot better when it comes to funds for the farm system, but Kroenke doesn't seem like that type of sports investor. Just look at their practice facility situation for the past 15+ years. The only thing going for it is that it has a great view...outside.
I’m not sure which it is, so I tend to slant towards both. Hench has put forth what seems like a solid argument in one direction, but I still struggle with the following:

The Avs seem to be solid at the top of the lineup (minus the annual cocaine issue), but have depth problems very year. And every year, they can’t seem to fill said depth problems via their AHL roster and/or draft picks. They trade picks prospects instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: lionsDen

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’m not sure which it is, so I tend to slant towards both. Hench has put forth what seems like a solid argument in one direction, but I still struggle with the following:

The Avs seem to be solid at the top of the lineup (minus the annual cocaine issue), but have depth problems very year. And every year, they can’t seem to fill said depth problems via their AHL roster and/or draft picks. They trade picks prospects instead.
Avs know this too, there's a reason why they haven't been able to find a long-term head scout and one of the reasons is not renewing their contracts.

Avs M.O. has always been built through trades, Pierre LaCroix showed us that philosophy, taught Sakic, and this should always be the case. Actually, MacFarland seems like the one who has been going against this idea and instead saving draft picks the last couple of years. Definitely expect us to keep draft picks more than when Sakic was in charge.

Reactions: ABasin

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I personally think the "development" part gets a tad overemphasized. If they guy has NHL talent, he'll likely get there even with shitty development. If he doesn't, it more often than not means he just wasn't good enough to begin with. Development can speed up or slow down that process, but IMO it can't stop it entirely.

Not saying development doesn't matter at all, just saying the scouts have to get it right. The odd story, like Graves, takes place and you see a guy projected as a career minor leaguer turn into a legit NHLer, but these cases are rare.

Someone on Twitter said that the AHL isn't a developmental league, it's a sorting mechanism. Not sure how true that is, but I think about that from time to time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I personally think the "development" part gets a tad overemphasized. If they guy has NHL talent, he'll likely get there even with shitty development. If he doesn't, it more often than not means he just wasn't good enough to begin with. Development can speed up or slow down that process, but IMO it can't stop it entirely.

Not saying development doesn't matter at all
, just saying the scouts have to get it right. The odd story, like Graves, takes place and you see a guy projected as a career minor leaguer turn into a legit NHLer, but these cases are rare.

Someone on Twitter said that the AHL isn't a developmental league, it's a sorting mechanism. Not sure how true that is, but I think about that from time to time.
This is the point I side with, you can put Mikko Rantanen on the worst AHL team like the San Jose Barracuda and he still would have hit PPG status in the AHL. If somebody has talent, they will overcome even the worst development systems' and coaching staffs'. However, the project picks need a lot more help and that is the side development matters. Not in terms of getting them to the NHL level, but having the IQ of the development staff to understand what it takes to make the NHL, what role each prospect should have in the NHL, knowing the player's weaknesses, and using development training to overcome this. IQ of the development staff is the most important because like a personal trainer will know which muscles need which exercises to hit them, you gotta know what the player is weak in, and which training methods will improve on those weaknesses.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This is the point I side with, you can put Mikko Rantanen on the worst AHL team like the San Jose Barracuda and he still would have hit PPG status in the AHL. If somebody has talent, they will overcome even the worst development systems' and coaching staffs'. However, the project picks need a lot more help and that is the side development matters. Not in terms of getting them to the NHL level, but having the IQ of the development staff to understand what it takes to make the NHL, what role each prospect should have in the NHL, knowing the player's weaknesses, and using development training to overcome this. IQ of the development staff is the most important because like a personal trainer will know which muscles need which exercises to hit them, you gotta know what the player is weak in, and which training methods will improve on those weaknesses.
Exactly. Every fringe prospect or project pick has something that is holding them back from making it to the NHL. Whether it's skating, or needing to shoot more, or playing a less perimeter game, or working on their shot, or even just adapting from playing an offensive role at lower levels to learning to be a 4th liner in the NHL. The development staff has to get to know a player, figure out what they need to make the final step, and give them whatever they need to make it there. Development staff are the people who are in charge of the last 10% of a prospect's journey, but the first 90% is up to them. If a guy has too many weaknesses or insurmountable flaws (like Beaucage's skating) development can't squeeze blood from a stone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Exactly. Every fringe prospect or project pick has something that is holding them back from making it to the NHL. Whether it's skating, or needing to shoot more, or playing a less perimeter game, or working on their shot, or even just adapting from playing an offensive role at lower levels to learning to be a 4th liner in the NHL. The development staff has to get to know a player, figure out what they need to make the final step, and give them whatever they need to make it there. Development staff are the people who are in charge of the last 10% of a prospect's journey, but the first 90% is up to them. If a guy has too many weaknesses or insurmountable flaws (like Beaucage's skating) development can't squeeze blood from a stone.

This is where I stand that the Avs have not actually done a bad job. They took Graves and LOC and turned them into guys who will get 5-600 games. Sherwood moved on elsewhere due to depth and will probably be a 400 game guy. Guys with enough in their skill sets and they had the mental drive to adapt their games to become NHLers. They may have a major flaw like Beaucage's skating or Ranta's brain... or they just refuse to adapt their game.The Eagles are not producing Stankovens, but the Avs don't send down the Byram/Newhook/Josts to actually do that. Which right or wrong seems like an organizational philosophy. That mostly leaves the Eagles to try to develop role players, with the occasional defensmen with a bit more upside than that (Timmins, Barron, Behrens, Malinski).

IMO where a lot of prospects go wrong is they don't adapt well to not being the best or top players. Prior to being in the Avs org, Kaut was the top guy everywhere he went. Prior to the NHL Cogliano was the same. Whereas one guy not only accepted, but embraced being a role player to be in the NHL. The other demanded NHL time in a higher capacity while showing up to camp out of shape and having a complete inability to have a semblance of a motor. Kaut could likely have been a long-term NHL player just based of size and raw talent if he accepted being a role guy. Instead he pouted, asked for a trade (multiple times), and when he was traded refused to adapt to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
IMO where a lot of prospects go wrong is they don't adapt well to not being the best or top players. Prior to being in the Avs org, Kaut was the top guy everywhere he went. Prior to the NHL Cogliano was the same. Whereas one guy not only accepted, but embraced being a role player to be in the NHL. The other demanded NHL time in a higher capacity while showing up to camp out of shape and having a complete inability to have a semblance of a motor. Kaut could likely have been a long-term NHL player just based of size and raw talent if he accepted being a role guy. Instead he pouted, asked for a trade (multiple times), and when he was traded refused to adapt to play in the NHL.
I wonder if part of the Avs poor drafting record, particularly with role players, is due to an inability to get a read on who is willing to make the mental switch into becoming a Calvert/Cogliano type and who is going to struggle to adapt as they rise up levels and their skill advantage disappears. That seems like something you would hope to find out during interviews with the players/coaches, do you think there's a disconnect there that's preventing the Avs from identifying players who are a bust risk due to their mentality? Or is that just something where the only way to find out is to let them get to age 22 and see if they're prepared for it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad