Prospect Info: C - Jake Fisher - 2024 #121

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I wonder if part of the Avs poor drafting record, particularly with role players, is due to an inability to get a read on who is willing to make the mental switch into becoming a Calvert/Cogliano type and who is going to struggle to adapt as they rise up levels and their skill advantage disappears. That seems like something you would hope to find out during interviews with the players/coaches, do you think there's a disconnect there that's preventing the Avs from identifying players who are a bust risk due to their mentality? Or is that just something where the only way to find out is to let them get to age 22 and see if they're prepared for it?
I wonder how much the cap situation plays a role in the draft philosphy. I know everyone says BPA but after the 3rd or 4th pick overall the ability to miss improves drastically and for the Avs they especially suck after pick #4. Yes they got Rants at #10 but that was more do to lucking into 9 other GMs who completely missed the board with him. It is also very important to remember they willing took Jost there as well and though it was a good idea.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wonder if part of the Avs poor drafting record, particularly with role players, is due to an inability to get a read on who is willing to make the mental switch into becoming a Calvert/Cogliano type and who is going to struggle to adapt as they rise up levels and their skill advantage disappears. That seems like something you would hope to find out during interviews with the players/coaches, do you think there's a disconnect there that's preventing the Avs from identifying players who are a bust risk due to their mentality? Or is that just something where the only way to find out is to let them get to age 22 and see if they're prepared for it?
I think 18 year old kids are not fully developed and you just don’t know, especially with their brains. You can scout their skills, how they may physically develop, interview people, do backgrounds… but really some guys will choose bad paths even when what the need to do is abundantly clear. There is some educated guessing that will backfire.

That said, I don’t think the Avs have done a great job at scouting character. They’ve claimed and happily leaned into it PR wise when they have ended up being shits.

Reactions: McMetal

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I remember when kait was drafted about hearing how his floor was high and that he’d be a nhl’er

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I remember when kait was drafted about hearing how his floor was high and that he’d be a nhl’er
With Kaut, read between the lines and it is very clear to see where that went so wrong. All mentality and work ethic. Dude could take a bag skate without dying on the ice in front of the coaches… yet rave about how hard he worked. He’d take comments from coaches saying he has to battle and fight for the puck and run to the media complaining. Dude thought he was hot shit and should be given a spot instead of earning it. Funny enough… some 2014 draft pick was very similar in this regard.

If he had the heart and work ethic of Cogliano, he might be a core player. Instead he’s playing back in Europe and never likely to come back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We should have let Kaut develop in europe in a comfortable environment and then come here as a fully grown (physically and mentally) adult.
I really don't think his mentality would have changed... his desire to be the top guy on the team and not just a dude. That's why he recently signed a 5 year deal to just stick around the Czech league where he can be a pro and be adored... not a no name.

I wouldn't have minded him having an extra year to mature prior to coming over, but the Avs did what they could to give him a BFF and a taste of home that first year. After that he was expected to simply be a pro. That's more than the Avs did for Mikko...

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I really don't think his mentality would have changed... his desire to be the top guy on the team and not just a dude. That's why he recently signed a 5 year deal to just stick around the Czech league where he can be a pro and be adored... not a no name.

I wouldn't have minded him having an extra year to mature prior to coming over, but the Avs did what they could to give him a BFF and a taste of home that first year. After that he was expected to simply be a pro. That's more than the Avs did for Mikko...
Is this why he didn’t stick with a lousy San Jose team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad