C Gavin Brindley - University of Michigan, NCAA (2023, 34th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Now send them both back to Ann Arbor for 23-24 Jarmo!!
Fantilli is extremely doubtful. Jarmo has said multiple times since the draft that he thinks Fantilli is ready and they are most definitely going to try and sway him to the NHL next season.

Reactions: Torts

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Total robbery 34th OV. Easily one of the smartest players in the draft and the motor crazy high.
Yep I love the player, you just see a NHL future when you watch him play.

It can be tough to evaluate the late birthday kids for the US because they play USDP-18 the year before they are drafted and then go into the NCAA for the draft year. Brindley showed good progression between USDP and NCAA, but he probably would've been picked higher had he been allowed to play U18 this year and just picked on USHL guys with the super team.

TheCrease

Dec 1, 2021
Yep I love the player, you just see a NHL future when you watch him play.

It can be tough to evaluate the late birthday kids for the US because they play USDP-18 the year before they are drafted and then go into the NCAA for the draft year. Brindley showed good progression between USDP and NCAA, but he probably would've been picked higher had he been allowed to play U18 this year and just picked on USHL guys with the super team.
Brindley didnt make the US NTDP. He was signed by Tri-City in the USHL. Great player. Think the NTDP realized the miss and added him for some games.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
With Fantilli signing and going pro...I'd expect the offense next season in Michigan to run through Brindley and his possible line mates Nazar and McGroaty (1st rounders '22).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
With Fantilli signing and going pro...I'd expect the offense next season in Michigan to run through Brindley and his possible line mates Nazar and McGroaty (1st rounders '22).
Yeah I was curious to see him have to burden more of the load but then you see those potential linemates and thats still pretty damn good

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Yeah I was curious to see him have to burden more of the load but then you see those potential linemates and thats still pretty damn good
Michigan will be deep up front again. Duke, Hallum, TJ Hughes could also be potential line mates. Also who knows if there's input from Columbus saying they want to see Gavin played more at centre. Ideally I like him playing with a playmaking centre and a big body on the opposite wing like the McGroaty - Fantilli - Brindley line from last season.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Michigan will be deep up front again. Duke, Hallum, TJ Hughes could also be potential line mates. Also who knows if there's input from Columbus saying they want to see Gavin played more at centre. Ideally I like him playing with a playmaking centre and a big body on the opposite wing like the McGroaty - Fantilli - Brindley line from last season.
I hope he gets something completely different, teach him to play under different circumstances. That said I dont think Michigan cares what an NHL team has to say. Especially one that just signed their 1C even if they knew if was likely to happen

Reactions: CBJx614

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I hope he gets something completely different, teach him to play under different circumstances. That said I dont think Michigan cares what an NHL team has to say. Especially one that just signed their 1C even if they knew if was likely to happen
When it comes to something different...that comes without having Fantilli on your line. Gavin played first line RW minutes pretty much from Christmas on once he and Fantilli returned from the World Juniors. So he already faced top pairing defense on the other team and played on the top powerplay. I guess the difference will be opposing teams keying in on him vs Fantilli which might have opened up space last season.

On the other comment. NHL development teams will sometimes cascade input down to college and junior teams on how they want their prospects prepared and groomed. In the CHL you often see development folks at practices with their prospects so it's not uncommon to have input come down from the powers at be.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
When it comes to something different...that comes without having Fantilli on your line. Gavin played first line RW minutes pretty much from Christmas on once he and Fantilli returned from the World Juniors. So he already faced top pairing defense on the other team and played on the top powerplay. I guess the difference will be opposing teams keying in on him vs Fantilli which might have opened up space last season.

On the other comment. NHL development teams will sometimes cascade input down to college and junior teams on how they want their prospects prepared and groomed. In the CHL you often see development folks at practices with their prospects so it's not uncommon to have input come down from the powers at be.
Yeah NHL teams can be involved but college and junior teams priority is still to win. Just like Columbus clearly would have preferred Johnson at center at Michigan but the team clearly believed the depth they had gave them a better chance to win.

Either way Michigan yet again will be a fun team to follow for Columbus fans

Reactions: Torts and CBJx614

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So... legit top prospect or not? Great numbers (8-7-6-13), although Michigan can't stop scoring 9 goals a game.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Definitely a stat padding weekend. But he’s still a great prospect.

To me it’s a lot harder to peg the BIG10 in hockey.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I had Brindley #14 on my list last year. I’m telling you, this guy is a player. Great hockey IQ.
I'm stoked we were able to snag him, the connection to Fantilli just makes it that much better. I think he's gotta shot to make the show right from the get go next season, but I won't be upset if he has to spend a season or so in the AHL.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Brindley has always looked great. The question is whether or not his size, or lack of it, will prevent him from being an effective NHL'er. Some small guys figure it out, others can't. You can say the same about Stankoven, though he looks to be a lock to be a good NHL'er. Amazing what he is doing in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad