C Gavin Brindley - University of Michigan, NCAA (2023, 34th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I see the concerns about him not having a specific elite skill to make up for his lack of size. He is a solid offensive player but there is a very fine line for a player of his size between being an NHL 2nd line player and having a career in Europe.

I just have a tough time seeing him going in the top 20-25 of a draft because even with the game opening up and smaller players making more of an impact, many NHL teams still have a tough time pulling the trigger on guys like this higher in the draft. Look at a guy like Quinn Hughes who has Hall of Fame skating and hockey IQ or Cole Caufield who has a Joe Sakic like arsenal of shots and also an elite IQ in the O-zone. They both fell waaaaaay more than they should have in their draft years. Hughes should have been a top 2 pick and Caufield should never have fallen out of the Top 8.

Brindley does not compare to either player, and that is not a knock on him.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I see the concerns about him not having a specific elite skill to make up for his lack of size. He is a solid offensive player but there is a very fine line for a player of his size between being an NHL 2nd line player and having a career in Europe.

I just have a tough time seeing him going in the top 20-25 of a draft because even with the game opening up and smaller players making more of an impact, many NHL teams still have a tough time pulling the trigger on guys like this higher in the draft. Look at a guy like Quinn Hughes who has Hall of Fame skating and hockey IQ or Cole Caufield who has a Joe Sakic like arsenal of shots and also an elite IQ in the O-zone. They both fell waaaaaay more than they should have in their draft years. Hughes should have been a top 2 pick and Caufield should never have fallen out of the Top 8.

Brindley does not compare to either player, and that is not a knock on him.
Hughes is an amazing skater and puckmover, but his defensive game has always been his achille heel coming with an undersized frame while his shot isnt much of a treath.

Right that Caufield is an elite sniper and has always been, but he took 2 full yrs in the NCAA to round up his game and become an impact player, his defensive game was trash. Brindley is miles ahead of where Caufield was in term of 200 ft. work, his IQ is off the chart and his playmaking high end level. Funny that people say he has no elite trait when his playmaking is just that while his shooting skillls still are pretty legit.

I do agree that teams tend to overlook smaller players and there is a good chance that Brindley ends up being drafted in the 15-20 range, but it would be a mistake IMO, kid is just way too smart, too good of a skater and too talented. His motor and compete level are amazing too, kid is a little bullsaw at both ends of the ice.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Hughes is an amazing skater and puckmover, but his defensive game has always been his achille heel coming with an undersized frame while his shot isnt much of a treath.

Right that Caufield is an elite sniper and has always been, but he took 2 full yrs in the NCAA to round up his game and become an impact player, his defensive game was trash. Brindley is miles ahead of where Caufield was in term of 200 ft. work, his IQ is off the chart and his playmaking high end level. Funny that people say he has no elite trait when his playmaking is just that while his shooting skillls still are pretty legit.

I do agree that teams tend to overlook smaller players and there is a good chance that Brindley ends up being drafted in the 15-20 range, but it would be a mistake IMO, kid is just way too smart, too good of a skater and too talented. His motor and compete level are amazing too, kid is a little bullsaw at both ends of the ice.

Hughes skates like the wind and has one of the best hockey IQ's I have ever seen. Caufield even when he was in college was one of the 5 best shooters of the puck in the world.

I don't dislike Brindley, but I just don't see guaranteed first liner, with Caufield you had no doubt, he was just super special. I don't really see the similarities in ceiling, I just don't see an easy path to 1st line for Brindley, I think he is more of a 2nd line type guy, and he still comes with the risks of taking a smaller player.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Hughes skates like the wind and has one of the best hockey IQ's I have ever seen. Caufield even when he was in college was one of the 5 best shooters of the puck in the world.

I don't dislike Brindley, but I just don't see guaranteed first liner, with Caufield you had no doubt, he was just super special. I don't really see the similarities in ceiling, I just don't see an easy path to 1st line for Brindley, I think he is more of a 2nd line type guy, and he still comes with the risks of taking a smaller player.
After 4, there is no guarenteed 1st liners in this draft IMO, thats wide open. In Brindley you get a high IQ and high paced player who brings you talent, hard work, speed, consistency, reliability and versatility. You watch a kid like Smith for exemple, the skills level is maybe a bit higher, but the motor is quite lower, 200 ft game more flawed and for all the goods he brings, there is some bads coming with. Brindley just makes the right plays all the times, never cheats positionally or in term of effort, thats always a total 2-way commitment. If you compare him to Benson, one could argue that Benson has a bit more talent, but the edge clearly goes to Brindley in the skating category and probably in the shooting category too.

Maybe Im a little biaised cause I really love the player, but thats my own take nonetheless.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I just don’t think people have watched him recently. He’s really improved over the year and has a big impact on the game. He makes some really high level plays out there. 10 points in his last 5 games is no fluke. Making the world juniors as a draft eligible is no fluke.

Sure, he’s playing Fantilli now. But, Brindley has amplified Fantilli’s game as well. They are both really talented players.

I have Brindley at 15 on my list.

Bingo! He's gone from freshman with limited to no expectations coming into the season to UM's top line right winger, key piece on the powerplay, world juniors and almost 0.85 PPG in his first NCAA season.

As I mentioned before...I think he gets picked early in the second round and GM's might be regretting not taking him earlier in future years.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He’s a top 15 pick. Let the haters doubt. This guys is a player. Understated ability to drive offense and he can play pk. Speed and skill.
I love his game. I don’t know how you couldn’t. I get some concern about him possibly being a Grimaldi type but what prospect doesn’t have warts?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I love his game. I don’t know how you couldn’t. I get some concern about him possibly being a Grimaldi type but what prospect doesn’t have warts?
He has the ability to evade pressure and make very high level plays. But, what really impresses me is the fact that his coach utilizes him heavily on the PK and defensive situations. He is such a competitor and is always willing to go to the dirty areas. He’s just such a complete player.

If he was listed as even 1 inch taller there wouldn’t be a ranking list without him at the very least in the top 20.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He has the ability to evade pressure and make very high level plays. But, what really impresses me is the fact that his coach utilizes him heavily on the PK and defensive situations. He is such a competitor and is always willing to go to the dirty areas. He’s just such a complete player.

If he was listed as even 1 inch taller there wouldn’t be a ranking list without him at the very least in the top 20.
Agreed. He pops every time I catch Michigan without trying to look for him. Always around the puck and involved in the play.

Hard not to like the motor + talent combo.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
In a game that featured a boatload of blue chip NHL prospects, including a few who may be in the NHL in a couple of weeks, he was the best player on the ice tonight.

I haven’t been super bullish on him, but wow was he incredible tonight.

It’s a shame the Gophers cheerleaders in the broadcast booth weren’t hyping him as much as they should have.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I feel like this kid might be the most underrated player of his draft. He had a slow start to his freshman year. He seemed to gain some confidence after his impressive showing at the WJC, and took that confidence back to Michigan and tore it up.

From the new year onward, he was absolutely dominant. He finished the season with 11 goals 28 points +23 in his final 20 games (1.4ppg), which is a fairly absurd number for a guy projected to go anywhere from 15th-50th.

Since Jan 1st his performance ranked among the best on his team and leaguewide

Team ranks since Jan 1st
- 3rd in points
- 2nd in goals, 1st in +/-
- 1st in GWG
- 2nd in shots
- 3rd in blocked shots

League ranks since Jan 1st
- 7th in scoring
- 3rd in ES goals
- 1st in +/-
- Top 10 in goals, shots, GWG, and blocked shots

1686905199272.png

Yeah, he got to share the ice with Fantilli, but he did a ton of the heavy lifting on that line. And Fantilli really benefited as well:

Fantilli before Brindley
17gp 11g 27p +9 (1.59ppg)

Fantilli after Brindley
19gp 19g 38p +22 (2.0ppg)

His offensive game has been incredibly underrated, and with his all around game and compete level, he should be a top 10 pick in this draft.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I feel like this kid might be the most underrated player of his draft. He had a slow start to his freshman year. He seemed to gain some confidence after his impressive showing at the WJC, and took that confidence back to Michigan and tore it up.

From the new year onward, he was absolutely dominant. He finished the season with 11 goals 28 points +23 in his final 20 games (1.4ppg), which is a fairly absurd number for a guy projected to go anywhere from 15th-50th.

Team ranks since Jan 1st
- 3rd in points
- 1st in GWG
- 2nd in shots
- 3rd in blocked shots

- 7th in scoring
- 3rd in ES goals
- 1st in +/-

View attachment 718442

Yeah, he got to share the ice with Fantilli, but he did a ton of the heavy lifting on that line. And Fantilli really benefited as well:

Fantilli before Brindley

Fantilli after Brindley

His offensive game has been incredibly underrated, and with his all around game and compete level, he should be a top 10 pick in this draft.
What's the before/after production for Brindley when he was put with Fantilli?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

Team ranks since Jan 1st
- 3rd in points
- 1st in GWG
- 2nd in shots
- 3rd in blocked shots

- 7th in scoring
- 3rd in ES goals
- 1st in +/-

View attachment 718442

Fantilli before Brindley

Fantilli after Brindley

I'm hoping my leafs grab him. Doesn't fill a positional need but I feel he'd be the best player available if still there

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Team ranks since Jan 1st
- 3rd in points
- 1st in GWG
- 2nd in shots
- 3rd in blocked shots

- 7th in scoring
- 3rd in ES goals
- 1st in +/-

View attachment 718442

Fantilli before Brindley

Fantilli after Brindley

I have him ranked 13th, incredible motor and IQ. His skills are indeed underrated. I think there is more value to draft Brindley in the 2nd half of the draft than drafting Benson too early. Brindley is a better skater than Benson and should transition better to the pros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad