C Fyodor Svechkov (2021, 19th, NSH)

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
You shouldnt be prudish when you get talent that can fall to you. The only reason you can't get them to come over is simply because of a teams ownership or even the way they're built. thats why you see russians sometimes not coming to orgs.
It`s ok, I just have some psycho trauma after Flyers drafted Rubtsov in the 1st round. Preciseli speaking after his career

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
It`s ok, I just have some psycho trauma after Flyers drafted Rubtsov in the 1st round. Preciseli speaking after his career
I think that dude is probably gonna come over but the KHL seems to be his speed. Crap happens. flyers at least have insurance with frost.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I find it impossible not to like Svechkov when you watch him play. There's so much good stuff in his game. He's got good size, he's strong, he's has really high-end hockey sense, his skating is very good and I think one part about his game that is very underrated is his ability to carry the puck into the offensive zone. He doesn't have dazzling puck skills but he gets the job done and can actually be somewhat difficult to separate from the puck.

I think he has upside as an elite two-way center but obviously it's a long way to go. Either way he could be a very useful player, the question is just how much offense he can provide. His hands and shot are his biggest weaknesses in that regard but I think if he plays with a highly skilled winger that he's going to produce a lot because his puck-carrying abilities and his passing. If he ever were to improve his shot (which is very possible) he would be a very good dual threat.

Either way, with Svechkov you're getting a very responsible and smart two-way center with good skating abilities. The only real worry for me is how he'll adapt to North America. Ideally he stays in Russia and continues to develop for a number of years instead of rushing over like Kravtsov, Kostin etc.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I find it impossible not to like Svechkov when you watch him play. There's so much good stuff in his game. He's got good size, he's strong, he's has really high-end hockey sense, his skating is very good and I think one part about his game that is very underrated is his ability to carry the puck into the offensive zone. He doesn't have dazzling puck skills but he gets the job done and can actually be somewhat difficult to separate from the puck.

I think he has upside as an elite two-way center but obviously it's a long way to go. Either way he could be a very useful player, the question is just how much offense he can provide. His hands and shot are his biggest weaknesses in that regard but I think if he plays with a highly skilled winger that he's going to produce a lot because his puck-carrying abilities and his passing. If he ever were to improve his shot (which is very possible) he would be a very good dual threat.

Either way, with Svechkov you're getting a very responsible and smart two-way center with good skating abilities. The only real worry for me is how he'll adapt to North America. Ideally he stays in Russia and continues to develop for a number of years instead of rushing over like Kravtsov, Kostin etc.

I'm actually liking Svechkov more and more for the Bruins at 20. I don't think they'll take him, but they need to replace Bergeron and Krejci in the near future, and he really seems to fit that profile.

Reactions: Zaddy

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He seems like an elite athlete above all else. He wins a ton of battles and he plays with the intensity you like to see from a two-way C. Reminds me of a young Eriksson Ek - a lanky guy who covers a lot of ground defensively and is going to be a major problem when he gets his man strength.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was surprised when I saw him play, because he looked pretty proficient offensively, to me. Maybe it's just his style- he's got that cool Russian thing going on. If the guy can be a slightly smaller, faster JEE then that would be a really good outcome for a team picking in the mid/late teens. I don't think he'll ever be the beast that JEE is along the boards, but if he can provide more offense and quickness than him then that's a pretty good player.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
So is this another case where offensive concerns are overblown, and someone gets a steal? Just like with Lundell last year.

They look overblown. This kid is one of the best passers in the draft, has great but subtle stick handling, and is smart as hell. The one part of his game that clearly needs work is his muffin shot.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
I truly thought Svech would go top 15 this draft. Two way centers of his calibre don't come around that often and are almost impossible to get via trade. He's a smart player and very efficient. I thought his u18s alone would be enough to raise a lot of scouts eyebrows. I guess Nashville is putting in the work.. I'll admit I had him just outside my top ten but he was really close. Anyways, can't wait to see his progression!

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Nashville nabbing him over the Wings is still insane to me. I was expecting them to take this kid but they instead go for Cossa and Edvinsson.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Svech might be a good example of teams passing on a perceived low ceiling player for potential "home run" type. I think Poile was looking for contact hitting/"get on base" in this draft class...to continue the baseball analogy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Svech might be a good example of teams passing on a perceived low ceiling player for potential "home run" type. I think Poile was looking for contact hitting/"get on base" in this draft class...to continue the baseball analogy.

He's the Lundell of the 2021 draft where the lack of flashy skills make people believe that there is a low ceiling. The kid has a lot of the same skills that made Beniers a top 3 pick but to a slightly lesser degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad