C Fyodor Svechkov (2021, 19th, NSH)

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Hoping Guerin & Brackett find a way to get this guy with one of their 1sts. The downside of him staying in KHL is obvious, but the upside is that 3 or 4 more years of uninterrupted development in Russia is going to turn Svechkov into a star.

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Feb 19, 2018
Hoping Guerin & Brackett find a way to get this guy with one of their 1sts. The downside of him staying in KHL is obvious, but the upside is that 3 or 4 more years of uninterrupted development in Russia is going to turn Svechkov into a star.
Careful what you wish for. Podkolzin arguably has more talent and he got buried for the same team that Svechkov plays for. If McTavish or the big 4 Dman are gone I could see Vancouver taking him to play with his buddy and form one of the best two way lines in Hockey. Add Hoglander to that line and it would be lethal.

Reactions: zcaptain

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Man, this guy has shot up the rankings. I think he was labeled as a guy with limited offensive ability, but recent viewings showed he has some offensive chops, too.

Has he gone from being underrated to being overrated, or is he at just the right spot at around 10-15?

Oh, and if he signs a long term KHL contract then he will get picked later. GM's can't afford to wait 4 years for a 1st rounder to hit the ice, in most cases.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
No GM will pick a guy in the first round if he knows that the earliest he will see him in the NHL is in 5 years. Kaprizov was a 5th rounder...completely different case. If the guy is a first round talent then he should be ready for some NHL time in his D+3 year, unless there are special circumstances.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
No GM will pick a guy in the first round if he knows that the earliest he will see him in the NHL is in 5 years. Kaprizov was a 5th rounder...completely different case. If the guy is a first round talent then he should be ready for some NHL time in his D+3 year, unless there are special circumstances.

Michkov is going to be first then...

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Michkov is going to be first then...
Will be interested to see where he goes in the draft. An elite #1 or #2 oa usually plays NHL either D+1 or D+2 year. D+5?... that's 3-4 years they have to wait with nothing to show for it. Some other top prospects will leapfrog him if they are even close to being as good. We'll see.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Will be interested to see where he goes in the draft. An elite #1 or #2 oa usually plays NHL either D+1 or D+2 year. D+5?... that's 3-4 years they have to wait with nothing to show for it. Some other top prospects will leapfrog him if they are even close to being as good. We'll see.

Isn't the Michkov contract only in effect until 2026? So at most they wait three years which isn't terrible, especially if whoever drafts him is truly awful and prefers to have their player develop overseas.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Kaprizov came and looked like top10 player of that very good 2015 draft. I'm sure he'll look even better in coming seasons and probably become top10 forward or even player of the league. He probably came exactly, when Minnesota was ready to make the next step to become a really interesting team. So yeah, they were waiting, but they got an immediate star. Btw what 2015 draft players have made their teams really special and thriving now, 6 years later? Yeah, just McDavid and nobody else...

Svechkov is signed for next 2 years...

Reactions: MNRube

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Isn't the Michkov contract only in effect until 2026? So at most they wait three years which isn't terrible, especially if whoever drafts him is truly awful and prefers to have their player develop overseas.
My mistake. Thought he was a 20222. A team would be waiting till the 2026-27 season before he would play for them. Still, a long time to wait for a top 2 level player, and not an ordinary one at that. GM's of teams that are picking near the top of a draft are often GM's that are under pressure, because they are GM's of losing teams. If they don't fix things and get help for their team, and quickly, they might well be out of a job in 3 or 4 years. That pressure affects a lot of their decision making.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
My mistake. Thought he was a 20222. A team would be waiting till the 2026-27 season before he would play for them. Still, a long time to wait for a top 2 level player, and not an ordinary one at that. GM's of teams that are picking near the top of a draft are often GM's that are under pressure, because they are GM's of losing teams. If they don't fix things and get help for their team, and quickly, they might well be out of a job in 3 or 4 years. That pressure affects a lot of their decision making.

I don't think that's really true any more. GMs who are given the mandate to rebuild will only see real pressure come year 5 I would think. Suppose it depends on the market.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'd love the Canes to be in position to draft him, because of the potential of him getting paired with Svechnikov and then listening to NHL broadcasters trying to not screw up their names is so darn good.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Adam Fox told the Flames to go stick it.

Hayes did the same to Chicago. Vesey refused to sign with Nashville and later Buffalo (after they acquired his rights).

College prospects aren't that much different from KHL prospects in that regard. How many players from the KHL over the last 10 years have refused to sign with the team that drafted them in the NHL? I'm 99% sure the no of college players who refused to sign is higher.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
College prospects aren't that much different from KHL prospects in that regard. How many players from the KHL over the last 10 years have refused to sign with the team that drafted them in the NHL?

I don't know. You tell me. What's the Russian equivalent of Adam Fox or Tim Erixon?

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Kaprizov came and looked like top10 player of that very good 2015 draft. I'm sure he'll look even better in coming seasons and probably become top10 forward or even player of the league. He probably came exactly, when Minnesota was ready to make the next step to become a really interesting team. So yeah, they were waiting, but they got an immediate star. Btw what 2015 draft players have made their teams really special and thriving now, 6 years later? Yeah, just McDavid and nobody else...

Svechkov is signed for next 2 years...
I mean i feel it is a reach to say kaprizov will become THE player of the league... But also, for the 2015 nhl draft a lot of great players there but real quick I think Barzal is a special player and had a massive impact on the team that is still in th top 4 of the playoffs.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Guerin playing 3d chess. Tells Kaprizov' agent to spread KHL rumor so team will be hesitant with Svechkov due to the "Russian factor". Wild draft Svechkov late in the first.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know. You tell me. What's the Russian equivalent of Adam Fox or Tim Erixon?

Aside from Mozyakin, I can't think of a top player who refused to come over. It's a myth.

Maaaybe Gusev, until he was traded? If anyone has any other examples, I'm all ears but the no of college prospects forcing their way to another team is much higher.

Erixon
Fox
Reilly
Hayes
Vesey
Kerfoot
Butcher

That's off the top of my head in just 1 minute.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Aside from Mozyakin, I can't think of a top player who refused to come over. It's a myth.

Maaaybe Gusev, until he was traded? If anyone has any other examples, I'm all ears but the no of college prospects forcing their way to another team is much higher.

Erixon
Fox
Reilly
Hayes
Vesey
Kerfoot
Butcher

That's off the top of my head in just 1 minute.

Yeah, I agree completely. Russian guys are pretty loyal to the clubs that draft them. The one risk, as everyone knows, is a player signing in Russia and staying a bit longer.

Which is not much of a risk anyway. The guys come over when they're ready. If they're ready. And they want to be in the best league in the world.

Meanwhile college guys do whatever they want. They should call it the College Factor.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I'd take a risk on him, even if his numbers don't look great. he's a two way man and reminded me of cirelli with his two way play. Absolutely get him if you need such talent. A certain rangers should get him because of that way he plays defense.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You shouldn’t waste your 1st round pick for Russian center.
You shouldnt be prudish when you get talent that can fall to you. The only reason you can't get them to come over is simply because of a teams ownership or even the way they're built. thats why you see russians sometimes not coming to orgs.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad