C David Edstrom - Frölunda HC, SHL (2023, 32nd, VGK; traded to SJS; traded to NSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
He is a very projectable player, unless he has some kind of issues, which are hidden from the eye, he is def a 1st rounder
He should absolutely be drafted but 1st round is far too rich for me. In my eyes, he’s a bottom-six guy. And since bottom-six guys cost you maybe a 3rd on the trade market, why would you ever spend anything more than a 3rd on a bottom-six guy at the draft?

Edstrom is a project. He’s a weird player because he’s excellent off the puck but as a center he kinda wants nothing to do with it. Reminds me of Rasmussen in his draft year where the second he touches the puck, he hands it off and goes to the net to take a pounding. Gangly skater but quick, excellent PKer, good on draws, finishes his checks, sometimes abrasive, incredibly active stick etc. Really good in his own end but possession often dies on his blade if he tries to control it too long. Didn’t like his second half in top 10 and the playoffs. Looked good in spurts at U18s but that’s too small a sample. Neutral zone can be an adventure and loses battles so adding muscle very important. Maybe thats why he went to the J18. Like I said, a project. Late second-rounder at best but he could go higher if a team needs an aggressive checking center in their system.
I often disagree with you, Steve, but in this case it sounds live we’re seeing the exact same things. I really didn’t think his U18s were nearly as good as people make them out to be either.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
He should absolutely be drafted but 1st round is far too rich for me. In my eyes, he’s a bottom-six guy. And since bottom-six guys cost you maybe a 3rd on the trade market, why would you ever spend anything more than a 3rd on a bottom-six guy at the draft?

Of course he will be drafted. If he is a bottom six or not, depends in development, since he has all the tools. But even if he is a bottom six player, some players drafted in the first will be AHL stars, or NHL players like Brandon Bochenski or Sam Steel etc.

Edstrom def has some offense in him, U18 WJC shown that.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Of course he will be drafted. If he is a bottom six or not, depends in development, since he has all the tools. But even if he is a bottom six player, some players drafted in the first will be AHL stars, or NHL players like Brandon Bochenski or Sam Steel etc.

Edstrom def has some offense in him, U18 WJC shown that.
Exactly my point. I'd rather take a swing at a guy who might be a star but then ends up being a bust than going with the guy I think won't be more than a bottom-sixer anyway. Bottom-six players are super cheap to acquire (unless you do it the Canucks way).

Don't get me wrong, if you think Edstrom has top-six upside, then sure, pick him early. But I don't, so I wouldn't. Because even if Edstrom looks like he has a relatively high floor, there's still a chance he busts. And if I see his ceiling as bottom-six, there isn't much room to not reach that ceiling and still be a success.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
@Castle8130 so do you take venmo?
HAHAHA don't worry about it! Just take it as a lesson for draft projection next year. The two-way good skaters always go before the high-end skaters with extreme skating deficiencies. Player projection is more important than junior production if the projection is good or bad enough

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Let’s see if he actually sticks with the VGK. They have a history of trading away their 1st round selections…

Yeah, I don't think the team is telling any of these kids to buy a house in the local area on a 30-year mortgage ......... in fact, they're probably suggesting to them to keep their apartment rentals week-to-week for a while.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
HAHAHA don't worry about it! Just take it as a lesson for draft projection next year. The two-way good skaters always go before the high-end skaters with extreme skating deficiencies. Player projection is more important than junior production if the projection is good or bad enough
I still think Cristall is the better player 😉 their was some real reaches in that first round

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
I'm a bit concerned about where he'll play this season. He likely won't get a great role with Frolunda (SHL) and you wouldn't want him to play J20 another year, atleast that's not what I'd want if I were Vegas.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I'm a bit concerned about where he'll play this season. He likely won't get a great role with Frolunda (SHL) and you wouldn't want him to play J20 another year, atleast that's not what I'd want if I were Vegas.
He'll probably be loaned to a club in Allsvenskan and play there

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
According to Henrik Leman the plan is for him to play in Frölunda next season.

Which... Even if he would get the best role there is on the team he'll still play on a Rönnberg-led Frölunda which I doubt is the best place for his development on the offensive side of things.

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Frölunda has a pretty weak roster this upcoming season imo, opportunity for young players like Stenberg, Edstrom, Dower-Nilsson etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad