C Connor Zary - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2020, 24th, CGY)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Consistently ticking along at over a point per game with solid performances. Do the Flames see him as Backlund’s replacement or bait to bring in more scoring at the deadline?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Consistently ticking along at over a point per game with solid performances. Do the Flames see him as Backlund’s replacement or bait to bring in more scoring at the deadline?
We will trade you Horvat for Zary and a 1st?

That being said he could be the Backlund replacement but that's not until 24-25 and Horvat won't work without salary coming back, maybe Backland back to Van as he would be redundant with Horvat there?

All that being said Calgary seems to be finding their legs and probably won't be involved in any big deals this year.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This is just one Flames fan opinion, but I can see Calgary keeping all of their big 3 forward prospects as we are facing a cap crunch after next season. All of Pelletier (28 in 26 in AHL), Zary (28 in 26 in AHL), and Coronato (15 in 11 in NCAA) are showing extremely well in their respective leagues and are all probably deserving of an NHL shot this season or next, which would create a log jam in most situations. However, Calgary has all of Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli, and Dube in need of new contracts as well as a good amount of our defense after the 2023-24 season. Having good to great prospects at LW, C and RW can really alleviate whichever players from the group are sacrificed for any raises the others need, and gives us flexibility to replace any forward position. Draft picks and lesser prospects are most likely going to be our currency for the foreseeable future.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
This is just one Flames fan opinion, but I can see Calgary keeping all of their big 3 forward prospects as we are facing a cap crunch after next season. All of Pelletier (28 in 26 in AHL), Zary (28 in 26 in AHL), and Coronato (15 in 11 in NCAA) are showing extremely well in their respective leagues and are all probably deserving of an NHL shot this season or next, which would create a log jam in most situations. However, Calgary has all of Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli, and Dube in need of new contracts as well as a good amount of our defense after the 2023-24 season. Having good to great prospects at LW, C and RW can really alleviate whichever players from the group are sacrificed for any raises the others need, and gives us flexibility to replace any forward position. Draft picks and lesser prospects are most likely going to be our currency for the foreseeable future.
Pelletier-Zary-Coronato would be a pretty dope 2nd line some day.

Reactions: Dominance

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hadn't even heard of him somehow - totally off my radar because I was so focused on Pelletier making the team.
Reviewed his pedigree and recent AHL/NHL performance. I think Calgary has something here.
Picked him up in fantasy today.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Hadn't even heard of him somehow - totally off my radar because I was so focused on Pelletier making the team.
Reviewed his pedigree and recent AHL/NHL performance. I think Calgary has something here.
Picked him up in fantasy today.
I take it you are not a Flames fan then. He was a first round pick and has progressed very nicely in the AHL following a very nice Junior career. I'm stoked at his success. I saw him as more of a 3rd line, energy guy that could score 15-20 in the NHL. Hope he keeps it up!

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I take it you are not a Flames fan then. He was a first round pick and has progressed very nicely in the AHL following a very nice Junior career. I'm stoked at his success. I saw him as more of a 3rd line, energy guy that could score 15-20 in the NHL. Hope he keeps it up!
Yeah I am not a Flames fan but I usually have passing knowledge of most players, but for some reason Zary was not in my memory banks. Guys like Wolf/PelletierCoronato/Honzek/Morin were top of mind when I was thinking about the Calgary prospects, but their AHL depth is pretty solid right now.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Only 8 games in so clearly it's been enough time to judge him completely*, but he currently leads all rookies points per game (1.0). Of the 8 games he's probably been our best forward in at least 4 or 5, got Kadri to give a damn again which is nice.

Would be really awesome if he could keep it up and be a Calder nominee (unless Bedard goes down I don't see him not getting it). Not expecting a full ppg season, but a 40 point season the rest of the way would be very nice.

He has shown more skill and intelligence on the ice than I was expecting. Think the Flames finally hit a homerun with one of these mid 20 picks where we traded down. Sucks that Pelletier went down as I think he is another beaut, but I don't see the same offense in him as Connor.

*Do I really need to say that this is somewhat sarcastic?

Nov 9, 2022
Only 8 games in so clearly it's been enough time to judge him completely*, but he currently leads all rookies points per game (1.0). Of the 8 games he's probably been our best forward in at least 4 or 5, got Kadri to give a damn again which is nice.

Would be really awesome if he could keep it up and be a Calder nominee (unless Bedard goes down I don't see him not getting it). Not expecting a full ppg season, but a 40 point season the rest of the way would be very nice.

He has shown more skill and intelligence on the ice than I was expecting. Think the Flames finally hit a homerun with one of these mid 20 picks where we traded down. Sucks that Pelletier went down as I think he is another beaut, but I don't see the same offense in him as Connor.

*Do I really need to say that this is somewhat sarcastic?
I was definitely pleasantly surprised how well Zary and Kadri clicked right off the bat. Flames have a great prospect in this kid.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
About time he gets another bump. 12 points in 16 games, second amongst all rookies in point per game now (min. 5 games played). Impressively he’s done it with only 1 PPP as well. Another impressive stat is he still hasn’t had a 3 game stretch without a point either, his production has been remarkably consistent.

His fancy stats say this is definitely a hot streak, but the eye test shows he’s the real deal. Less games played so far is the only argument against including him amongst the top rookies so far this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad