C Connor McMichael - London Knights, OHL (2019, 25th, WSH)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's leading the OHL (and CHL) in pt/gm though, so regardless of whether the OHL scoring is up or not, he's still ahead of all his current peers.
A good and valid point worth repeating. Regardless if OHL scoring is up across the board. Connor's PPG production is unmatched. You can say that for Tomasino and Kaliyev too. All 3 are having outstanding D+1's.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Habsfann

Apr 13, 2014
If he was available for the up coming draft, where would he get drafted overall?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hard to tell if he's going to be NHL dominant, but I believe he'll be a very solid player for the Capitals in the future.

But I see him making the NHL line-up by 2022-23.

You think they will keep him in the OHL another year after destroying this season so badly? Seems like a waste to keep playing vs kids.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
You think they will keep him in the OHL another year after destroying this season so badly? Seems like a waste to keep playing vs kids.

Can't send him to the AHL and no room on the Caps, let him get all the ice-time he can get. But he'll also need to adapt to the adult level in the AHL, unless he proves us all wrong.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I thought he already made it pretty tough to cut him this last preseason, if the Capitals weren’t among the league’s deeper teams I think he’d have already been there, so my gut says yes. At least a small cup.

Depending what happens in the playoffs would it be possible to trade Kuznetsov and/or Orlov to upgrade the defense and slot McMichael as 2C between Backstrom and Eller. Kuznetsov is terrible at faceoffs and the Caps have nothing behind Carlson on the right side of the defense. Jensen and Gudas are not top 4 defenseman and if McMichael has legit 1C potential then he shouldn't be wasted on another year in the OHL.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Depending what happens in the playoffs would it be possible to trade Kuznetsov and/or Orlov to upgrade the defense and slot McMichael as 2C between Backstrom and Eller. Kuznetsov is terrible at faceoffs and the Caps have nothing behind Carlson on the right side of the defense. Jensen and Gudas are not top 4 defenseman and if McMichael has legit 1C potential then he shouldn't be wasted on another year in the OHL.

Slotting McMichael in as a 2C on a cup contending team in his rookie year is likely reaching quite a bit.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Let's give it time to see how he does at the pro level before making any silly trades. There have been a crap load of dominating junior players that take a few years to catch their stride in the NHL....

And a crap load that never catch their stride

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
This is a textbook HF post. Lol, nice job.

I'm not a Caps fan but the answer is No.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Yes, much more likely he plays wing on the third line with Eller initially.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Backstrom - Oshie
Hagelin - Eller - McMichael
Leipsic/Panik - Dowd - Hathaway

Backstrom and Kuznetsov are both signed until 2025 and Eller is signed until 2023 so is McMichael going to be a Center in the Pros or is there a chance Kuznetsov gets moved to a wing at some point?

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010

Backstrom and Kuznetsov are both signed until 2025 and Eller is signed until 2023 so is McMichael going to be a Center in the Pros or is there a chance Kuznetsov gets moved to a wing at some point?

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Interesting looking at other first rd picks in their D+1 seasons.

Notable OHL players PPG

Marner 2.03
Strome 1.98
Frost 1.67
Suzuki 1.56

McMichael 2.18 through 38 games.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia

McMichael has played on the wing at times so this wouldn't be too much of an issue for him

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

I wouldn’t worry about it, you can never have too many good centres. Worst case scenario, he becomes a winger at the NHL level. Best case scenario, he takes the path of so many other great players and learns the NHL game at the wing before forcing the trade of Kuznetsov.

There’s no reason to make room for him, outside of ensuring a spot in the top-9 as every team should do for incoming top prospects, until he forces your hand.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Barring any substantial changes, this is how I see the Caps next season.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Kuznetsov-Oshie
McMichael-Eller-Panik
Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway

Initially CMM will be on the 4th line but by the playoffs he'll supplant Hagelin. Leipsic is not tendered in this scenario. No issues with McMichael starting as a bottom six winger -- Kuznetsov started as 4LW when he came over and he was older and had played against men in the KHL.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Orlov is their second best defenseman and has a great contract. It's more likely they trade Kempny, in my opinion, to make room for Fehervary.

Kuznetsov was the missing piece to their 2C problems. Trading him during Ovi's twilight years and relying on a rookie at 2C would be bad for business.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Best case scenario, he takes the path of so many other great players and learns the NHL game at the wing before forcing the trade of Kuznetsov.

He'll be 19 at the start of next season. Even if he surprises us, and makes the Caps roster... he'd be a winger for ~2 yrs. If he really can play C at that point, Backstom is almost 35 and slots in as your 3rd C (what a luxury). You trade Eller (who only has one yr left on his contract), or make him the #4C (another luxury), and you role Kuzy and McMichael as 1C/2C.

I don't see the case where Kuzy is traded.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You know you are doing good when your PPG average goes down when you have a 2 point night against a tough Saginaw team. Standing at 2.179 PPG through 39 games in his D+1.

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Marner had a 2.06 ppg during his D+1 season and had dvorak and tkachuk.

mcmichael is at 2.179 and I don’t think hes getting the same quality of linemates.

If mcmichael can get the same production has marner in the nhl ill be pumped for my fantasy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad