C Connor Bedard - Regina Pats, WHL (2023 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I read the article and it's a rumor time will tell I guess.

Matthew Savoie Signs With Winnipeg Ice

I'm kinda peeved though as the Ice don't visit BC so I won't get a chance to see him live.

Basically the ruling is that Savoie has to play all of his minor league games. But since the Ice own the RHA Nationals, a CSSHL team, which is also based in Winnipeg and Savoie will be playing for them. It's pretty likely that he not only plays all of his CSSHL games but will also get in to at the very least 25-31 WHL games this season, with Brandon being so close he likely gets in a few more there and then it all comes down to scheduling. The WHL is 100% fine with the Ice doing this and IMO might be the better option for him to dip his toe into the WHL.

If you can make it to Everett on the Nov. 16th, Portland on the 17th or Seattle on the 19th you might be able to see him play but I think that is highly unlikely. most of the games Savoie will be playing are home games and close teams like Brandon, MJ, Regina, Swift, Saskatoon or PA. He is highly unlikely to get in on any long road trips.

Reactions: Dominance

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Gavin Lee wrote an article. "Emergency call ups" loophole is what they'll use. Stankoven played over 5 games with that rule but it's expected Savoie will play 40-50.

Savoie's a January 1 birth, Hockey Canada shouldve made the exception.

I think he gets 30 for sure. The rest will come down to scheduling as he HAS to be play all CSSHL games with RHA. They can't use the emergency call up rule if he has a CSSHL game to play. I'd imagine the Ice already have it all worked out and it's likely why Savoie signed with them. He was guaranteed so many WHL games and the majority of them will be played right in Winnipeg.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Saw this and had to see if there was a thread on this kid.

Clear front runner for 2023. Doing pretty much what Savoie did as a younger player, and the latter may very well be the best prospect since McDavid.

He played in a few games with the Boys of Summer Hockey League a month or so ago, with and against a number of NHL players. Obviously the intensity wasn’t tuned all the way up, but his skating is already visibly level with (better than?) professionals, and he was beating NHL goalies clean with his shot.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kids a sublime talent. It's awesome that we are only just barely a full decade into the CSSHL being a prime development system and we are already turning out talents like Savoie and Bedard. The system has its flaws buts its obviously superior to the individual bantam and midget systems scattered throughout western Canada.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Kids a sublime talent. It's awesome that we are only just barely a full decade into the CSSHL being a prime development system and we are already turning out talents like Savoie and Bedard. The system has its flaws buts its obviously superior to the individual bantam and midget systems scattered throughout western Canada.

While you're not wrong, how much of that is because the best players tend to be the ones who can afford to attend these academies? Costs can be tens of thousands of dollars and that naturally leaves out the average middle class kid.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
While you're not wrong, how much of that is because the best players tend to be the ones who can afford to attend these academies? Costs can be tens of thousands of dollars and that naturally leaves out the average middle class kid.

I've always thought that top tier competition breeds top tier talent. I've argued for awhile that Western Canada lags behind in absolute elite young talent because we have a bunch of minor leagues scattered across such a large area that these kids don't see the truly elite competition until they hit the WHL. We haven't produced truly elite of elite talent in the 13/14/15 age group for a long time and have legged behind Ontario for decades. I think it's because Ontario has such tight nit leagues packed into densely populated areas. The CSSHL allows Western Canada to have elite kids plays against elite kids across our entire geography rather than play inferior talent in regional leagues with the odd best on best tournaments. CSSHL is like a best on best all the time.

My biggest gripe with it is the costs are insane. I think we might not have had a Savoie and Bedard had they only played in their regional bantam and midget leagues. They'd be good, but with the training and competition offered by CSSHL teams I don't think they'd be as good as they are and can be.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
I've always thought that top tier competition breeds top tier talent. I've argued for awhile that Western Canada lags behind in absolute elite young talent because we have a bunch of minor leagues scattered across such a large area that these kids don't see the truly elite competition until they hit the WHL. We haven't produced truly elite of elite talent in the 13/14/15 age group for a long time and have legged behind Ontario for decades. I think it's because Ontario has such tight nit leagues packed into densely populated areas. The CSSHL allows Western Canada to have elite kids plays against elite kids across our entire geography rather than play inferior talent in regional leagues with the odd best on best tournaments. CSSHL is like a best on best all the time.

My biggest gripe with it is the costs are insane. I think we might not have had a Savoie and Bedard had they only played in their regional bantam and midget leagues. They'd be good, but with the training and competition offered by CSSHL teams I don't think they'd be as good as they are and can be.

Oh 100%, no disagreement here.

Except for Banff Academy and PoE White, those teams are atrocious and make it hard to judge stats accurately, because one is just an awful program and the other is designed to be bad because they move all the B class players onto one team and all the A class players onto the other.

Not to say midget teams can't have players cause they do. But with the hard recruiting push to academies a lot of elite players I know go for their draft year just to get picked and then play it year by year solely because it gets way more exposure than community bantam and midget leagues due to the overhead.

EDIT: It's OHA that does the Red team is best team White team is B players, not PoE. Such a shame, they used to be pretty even but the new directors have clearly decided to go with a caste system.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh 100%, no disagreement here.

Except for Banff Academy and PoE White, those teams are atrocious and make it hard to judge stats accurately, because one is just an awful program and the other is designed to be bad because they move all the B class players onto one team and all the A class players onto the other.

Not to say midget teams can't have players cause they do. But with the hard recruiting push to academies a lot of elite players I know go for their draft year just to get picked and then play it year by year solely because it gets way more exposure than community bantam and midget leagues due to the overhead.

Yeah no idea why anyone talented would even go to those programs and by most accounts no one really does. They are just landing spots for mediocre kids with rich parents who can brag about their kid playing academy hockey while their kids get a decent education and live lavish lifestyles.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

I would think NSWC/Vipers/Calvano would get a lot of the credit for Bedard. But yeah I agree that the CSSHL has done a good job of bringing the top bantam talent together where they can develop well with more practice and then concentrated games.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would think NSWC/Vipers/Calvano would get a lot of the credit for Bedard. But yeah I agree that the CSSHL has done a good job of bringing the top bantam talent together where they can develop well with more practice and then concentrated games.

A lot of teams have insane facilities available for training as well. Which I think really helps develop talent.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
A lot of teams have insane facilities available for training as well. Which I think really helps develop talent.

Agreed (although NSWC is likely as good facilities as Sentinel).

Anyway, our association is introducing a high performance component of dryland training with Twist for our Bantam A1 team, will be interesting to get feedback on the results and talk to the families who have gone to West Van, Saints, and BWC.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed (although NSWC is likely as good facilities as Sentinel).

Anyway, our association is introducing a high performance component of dryland training with Twist for our Bantam A1 team, will be interesting to get feedback on the results and talk to the families who have gone to West Van, Saints, and BWC.

RHA has some really nice facilities from what I've seen way ahead of what most bantam and midget programs offer in the prairies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Scored an absolutely outrageous goal today, showing off his strong defensive awareness, skating, and truly ridiculous deking and shooting ability all in one play. Playing at the U16 Beantown Classic as a 14 year old.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Savoie and Bedard played each other last weekend and Bedard was very week. It had some hype because of the head to head match up and while Savoie was the star, Bedard was a disappointment. Not a good sign that you know it was a big game for him and he didn't bring is "A" game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad