C Anthony "AJ" Spellacy - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2024 Draft)

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
He has terrible counting stats this season and he plays on a terrible Windsor team. He has flaws to his game no doubt but I think NHL teams have time for one of the fastest kids in the draft class, who happens to have a great compete level and is physical. I think he’ll be selected at some point.

I think there is a chance Spellacy carves a bottom-6 energy role in the NHL. Stats don’t tell the whole story here.
Sounds like a more physical Eric Robinson, right down to the "terrible team" part.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
I don't think he's a draft pick, but maybe someone takes him in the 6th or 7th as a flier because they like the profile to turn into a grinding type of winger.
Well, i think he is not going to be there when 5th round will start, someone will take him in rounds 2-3-4. He is easily projectable with high floor as a fast, hard nosed, physical 4th line winger at least

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well, i think he is not going to be there when 5th round will start, someone will take him in rounds 2-3-4. He is easily projectable with high floor as a fast, hard nosed, physical 4th line winger at least
Can you really be drafted out of junior as a forward scoring less than .5PPG?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Can you really be drafted out of junior as a forward scoring less than .5PPG?
Remi Elie and Josh Anderson were both below 0.5 PPG and Andreas Athanasiou was just above, all drafted in 2012. All had speed, just like Spellacy. Anderson is definitely a bit tougher than Spellacy, but Spellacy does bring the football mentality to the ice, so there are some intangibles as well.

EDIT: Elie was drafted in 2013 but was a major reach regardless

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Once we get to the 4th round, presuming all the good first year draft eligibles are off the board, I start really thinking about taking Spellacy because the frame, toughness, and speed are there.

I'm not saying he's going to pop off next year like Labanc did post draft in the O, but there's a good amount to work with.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I know his end of the year stats have already been mentioned, but I found it interesting that he had 17 points in his last 19 games on a terrible team. He started the season with 0 points in his first 11 games. It will be interesting to see where he goes. To a lesser extent he has showcased a strong end of the year play like Sennecke

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I know his end of the year stats have already been mentioned, but I found it interesting that he had 17 points in his last 19 games on a terrible team. He started the season with 0 points in his first 11 games. It will be interesting to see where he goes. To a lesser extent he has showcased a strong end of the year play like Sennecke
His strong end to the year, the elite combine performance/athleticism/speed, and fact that he hasn't played and trained for hockey full time for very long could mean he gets picked earlier than many expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad