Kings News: Byfield signs 5 year, $6.25M per extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
The Kings need to sign Spence and Kaliyev still and have just under $3 million in cap space. You either get to trade both of them for futures and hope all your forwards and defensemen play 82 games or you get to buy those UFA years.
Kaliyev 1 year @ $900
Spence 3 year at $2.1

Quinton ByfieldLW22LAKTop-50 Free Agent$6.25M x 5
Carl GrundstromLW27LAK$2.00M x 4
$1.85M x 3

$1.65M x 2
$1.30M x 1
$1.80M x 2
(SJS)
Arthur KaliyevLW23LAK$1.50M x 2
$0.87M x 1
Blake LizotteC27LAK$2.50M x 4
$2.33M x 3
$2.10M x 2

$1.68M x 1
$1.85M x 2
(PIT)
Jordan SpenceRD23LAK$2.33M x 3
$1.60M x 2

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
Maybe QB and his camp didn't want an 8 yr deal. Or if they did, wanted a ludicrous 9M or somesuch, to do that. In 5 years, no one knows what this team will be like, or if QB is the best player on the team, or the 4th best player. You can't know. Hell, the roster is turning over 33% just this year, or close to it. QB just got paid. And he's betting on himself to cash in after 5 years. The Kings get a good deal, capwise and 5 yrs to upgrade in all areas. Successfully doing that, is something else.

It's kind of weird, in that if they really wanted to contend, would have really needed a top 3 forward added...ala Marchessault. And forego the Edmundson add. I'm ok with Foegele, (at 3.5 pretty good for a 27 yr old that can play, has scored 20 and learned from Justin Williams) needed at least 1 forward that is capable of 20 goals and can play any line. They just really needed a top forward, having lost Arvy, Gabe, PLD over 14 months.

Now, it's basically sign Kaliyev and Spence and that's the Summer...unless there's something really whack like getting Laine for Kaliyev + Englund +? and he's heavily retained. Another 1 MIL winger makes no sense. I'd rather play youth.

QB for 5 yrs at 6.25M and getting rid of PLD without retaining is a Summer I'll take. The PLD trade helped save the next 7 years. Heavy damage incurred when all settled, but to get rid of him was mind blowing, 0% retained. I heard it was the biggest $ owed contract ever moved. Is that true?

Kings are really going to need Ziemmer and Greentree to hit. And Clarke even moreso.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
It’ll be weird not seeing a 70-point player with the likes of Blake Lizotte and Trevor Lewis.
Give it time Blake will find a way. LOL.

Maybe QB and his camp didn't want an 8 yr deal. Or if they did, wanted a ludicrous 9M or somesuch, to do that. In 5 years, no one knows what this team will be like, or if QB is the best player on the team, or the 4th best player. You can't know. Hell, the roster is turning over 33% just this year, or close to it. QB just got paid. And he's betting on himself to cash in after 5 years. The Kings get a good deal, capwise and 5 yrs to upgrade in all areas. Successfully doing that, is something else.

It's kind of weird, in that if they really wanted to contend, would have really needed a top 3 forward added...ala Marchessault. And forego the Edmundson add. I'm ok with Foegele, (at 3.5 pretty good for a 27 yr old that can play, has scored 20 and learned from Justin Williams) needed at least 1 forward that is capable of 20 goals and can play any line. They just really needed a top forward, having lost Arvy, Gabe, PLD over 14 months.

Now, it's basically sign Kaliyev and Spence and that's the Summer...unless there's something really whack like getting Laine for Kaliyev + Englund +? and he's heavily retained. Another 1 MIL winger makes no sense. I'd rather play youth.

QB for 5 yrs at 6.25M and getting rid of PLD without retaining is a Summer I'll take. The PLD trade helped save the next 7 years. Heavy damage incurred when all settled, but to get rid of him was mind blowing, 0% retained. I heard it was the biggest $ owed contract ever moved. Is that true?

Kings are really going to need Ziemmer and Greentree to hit. And Clarke even moreso.
In 5 Years I'll be praying we draft Gavin McKenna already and hopefully Byfield will sign a long term deal.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
The overpayment that will be required to keep Q at the end of this contract is gonna make the last Kopitar and Doughty contracts look tame.

You either shave years to retain RFA rights, or you take a max deal. There is no middle ground with a talent like Q.

Once again, Blake held all the leverage, and absolutely pissed it away.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Its obvious Q's agent told them term was little negotiable and they ironed it out from there with the AAV as well.

But you guys keep writing those short stories...

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
The overpayment that will be required to keep Q at the end of this contract is gonna make the last Kopitar and Doughty contracts look tame.

You either shave years to retain RFA rights, or you take a max deal. There is no middle ground with a talent like Q.

Once again, Blake held all the leverage, and absolutely pissed it away.

Blake had leverage?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
QB CONTRACT YEARQB AGESEASONCAP ESTIMATE
12224-2588M
22325-2692M
32426-2796M
42527-28100M
52628-29105M
UFA2729-30110M

Avg annual cap increase = 4.5%

29-30 cap projection = 110M

Byfield next contract using Tavares comp (13.84%) = 15.2M

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I hated the five years until I thought of it this way. If the kings are not a winning franchise in five years, they could get a bloody haul from him if they trade him with a year or two left on his contract. It would be a massive reboot at that point.

If things are going well and their winning, they will have the money to keep him happy and lock him up in LA for a long time after this deal at a big price.

A winning Culture and living at the beach would be hard to walk away from. Just need to get that winning culture.
I just need to win the lottery, everything will be fine.

I like the deal and I don't like much of much lately.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It’s time for Byfield to finally get bigger, stay healthy, and put together an impressive season as center.

Now it’s his time. No training wheels, no Kopitar. He took a big step forward as a winger but we need our boy Q to be a center.

1721109522858.jpeg

Now cement yourself as the heir apparent.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Demanding a trade after 4 years >>>>>>>>>> walking and signing with another team after 5 years
The Kings will presumably (hopefully?) by that point have a new GM who’s not a total fool and recognizes both the need for a rebuild and the fact that QB is his most valuable trade chip to be traded before his UFA walk year.

Point is there was never any path forward where QB was going to be a lifelong King. Not when Blake has ensured that he will be in his prime when the Kings are starting a lengthy rebuild. This is a DeBrincat 2.0 situation.

Reactions: tigermask48

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
deal is fine, if they signed him to 8 there wouldn't be any room to sign spence. also signing him to 8 takes him to 30 where the kings will have to give another bloated 8 year contract to where he's 38.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He just put the team over a barrel in 5 years. A player, right on his prime gets to hit UFA on what will undoubtedly be a team in flux at the moment.

There is no reason to give on that, it's your only high ground as a GM. What an absolute idiot. Just dumb shittery at its finest. You really think $1.5 or $2 mil extra space for a few years is worth THAT risk?

This is the dumbest thing he has done to date.
My initial instinct was your but does that 2 years really matter? Age 26 or 28 isn’t going to affect his relative AAV ask, in the sense that will want his value in that moment for 8 years (or whatever the max is), assuming it’s 8 years his next contract will end at 34 or 36. The barrel the team is over is the same one, just at a different time. So, I think I’d rather the next contract expires 34, because I don’t think buying UFA is as important as it used to be personally not at this AAV. If he’d just signed for 8 million I’d feel different.

So it really comes down to if we think we think those two years will make a difference to if he wants to stay. If Blake’s still here you have to hope things are going well , so he will. If it’s a new GM who knows. If it’s bad enough for him to refuse to sign then that is likely mean he is traded in his prime. As long as it’s for proper value, then I can live with that as we’d likely be doing some sort of rebuild or a change in direction.

There are of course pro’s and cons but on balance I think I’m ok with it.

Reactions: Master Yoda

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
2 years plus 8 years. Could've had control for 10 years.

Shouldn't be this difficult. Ask Pittsburgh how Guentzel turned out for them and if they liked the return?

Byfield's gone in 5. Don't bother buying his new jersey.

Reactions: ru4reals

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Who cares if he walks away in 5 years; it's not like we'll be a competitive team at that point.

Trade him at the deadline and get good assets for the rebuild.
It’s already been established that Blake isn’t exactly well equipped to make that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad