Rumor: Byfield extension soon

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
It's based on the league average salary so it's a shifting scale year to year.
I think the 2 firsts, a second and a third cutoff is a little north of 11.4 million AAV now. Above that is 4 firsts.

As an example when Penner signed his offer sheet in 2007 it was an AAV of 4.3 mil and Edmonton gave up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. But now, that same offer sheet of 4.3 AAV would only be a 2nd round pick because the average salary has increased significantly since 2007.
Thx

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I’d really be careful giving the moon to byfield, it’d help him and it’d help the Kings if they give him the big contract after he plays a full season as a center. It’s too risky

Reactions: deaderhead28

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
The only way the Kings don't match would be if a team went over probably $10 million a year. If they do that, the Kings would get 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Here are the teams that could give those picks up. Totally unclear on whether or not their cap space would allow for it.View attachment 891097

A couple of those teams might be worth getting the 1sts from but in all likelihood, the Kings would lose out.

The only way the Kings don't match is if a team gives up $11.5 million a year and there isn't a team in the league doing that because they'd be giving up 4 1sts and QB isn't worth the cap hit or draft capital.

There's no world where the Kings don't sign him.
Only teams that could cap wise from the list this season are Buffalo and Detroit. But Detroit still has to sign Seider and Raymond this offseason. Buffalo has to pay both goalies (UPL this year and Levi next year) and will have to give big money next year to Peterka with no major UFAs coming off the books next season. So it's highly unlikely a move happens like that.

Reactions: SmytheKing

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Only teams that could cap wise from the list this season are Buffalo and Detroit. But Detroit still has to sign Seider and Raymond this offseason. Buffalo has to pay both goalies (UPL this year and Levi next year) and will have to give big money next year to Peterka with no major UFAs coming off the books next season. So it's highly unlikely a move happens like that.
MTL could as well

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Yeah it's just not even something that would be entertained for all those factors.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
QB will be close to 30 by the next time this team will even begin to contend at the earliest. An offer sheet would unironically be the best option for both team and player. QB gets paid, gets to go to a better organization, and develop at C without being jerked around. Kings get a boatload of picks that a competent GM could use to draft the next core as we will soon be rebuilding anyway.
We're all salty with the moves Blake has made lately. This isn't the dumbest idea. I think most of us are smart enough to know that we're going to be just good enough to make the playoffs but lose in the 1st round every year. Hell, we may make it out of the 1st round, but there's no way we're beating some of these teams. QB will likely be in his prime between 25-32, so we still have time..but who are we going to have around him?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
It'll be really annoying if the Edmun deal prevents a LT Byfield deal. Wasting $3-4M on a marginally (debatable -- i'm being generous here) improvement at 3LD -- when that money would/could be the difference in a bridge vs. LT deal for QB. Masterclass.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It'll be really annoying if the Edmun deal prevents a LT Byfield deal. Wasting $3-4M on a marginally (debatable -- i'm being generous here) improvement at 3LD -- when that money would/could be the difference in a bridge vs. LT deal for QB. Masterclass.
yeah i'm not super impressed by the fact that all these other deals got done before QB's

i guess my priorities are different

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
there's precious few things that would make me stop being a fan outright, but that would be one of them
It wouldn't outright stop me from being a fan, but i'd definitely take another decade hiatus from following the Kings. I'll check scores and news here and there like I did from 2014-2023

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
well-waiting.gif

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Under the current CBA, I think a 5 year deal walks QB to UFA. My guess is the hold up is the years. Management probably wants a 2 year bridge deal which ups the salary in comparison to his ELC. Around 2 years at $4.5M per.

But his camp probably wants that same salary bump plus extra over 5 years. So 5 years and $7M.

A fair deal would be 3 years at $6M per.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad