Buyout window is open

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Isn't there a limit per team on the number of buy-outs for the duration of the CBA?

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
There is no reason to buyout either player.

I feel the same way.

As much as I've not been a fan of their usage for parts of the last few seasons, they are both still serviceable, veteran NHLers. I could still see DD returning something if we really wanted to get rid of him, even if its just a mid-round pick.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Neither of these names is "out there" as buyout candidates, outside HF boards.

Emelin is overpaid to be sure but still very useful on D.

DD is far less useful, but the problem with him is mainly that the coach gives him too many minutes and surely we can suffer through one more year of his contract.

The suggested 'cure' seems worse than the 'sickness' for both these players.

Many persons, radio sows and others ask that question around and the only 2 names that came out are those two. As for Desharnais, that rumor came out at the end of the season by TVA Jean Louis....

Isn't there a limit per team on the number of buy-outs for the duration of the CBA?

No. You can buyout as many players as you want as long as it's in the 2 weeks in june. If you want to buyout a player outside of those 2 weeks, you still can do it but only got 3 of those buyouts for 10 years.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
What's the cap savings if we send them down? I'd love to see Desharnais in the AHL.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I wouldn't buyout either.

I remain hopeful Desharnais could be moved for a late round pick if necessary, and that if he happens to be on the starting line-up in October, that Therrien has finally realized his place isn't on the top 6. I mean, for all his faults, he was dynamite on the 3rd line at the start of the season in an exploitation role. Put him on Eller's LW and tough out the rest of his contract. He's an insurance policy if one of our top 3 centers get hurt.

Emelin is overpaid by about a million, but he's still a valuable asset to this team.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I wouldn't buyout either.

I remain hopeful Desharnais could be moved for a late round pick if necessary, and that if he happens to be on the starting line-up in October, that Therrien has finally realized his place isn't on the top 6. I mean, for all his faults, he was dynamite on the 3rd line at the start of the season in an exploitation role. Put him on Eller's LW and tough out the rest of his contract. He's an insurance policy if one of our top 3 centers get hurt.

Emelin is overpaid by about a million, but he's still a valuable asset to this team.

If Therrien made one thing clear last season is that DD is one of our top 3 centers and he won't take defensive missions even if he would end up on the 4th line.

After last season, placing him on the wing going forward is wishful thinking.
Don't expect him to get off the PP neither, Therrien made that also crystal clear.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm terrified that they're going to give Desharnais an extension if he has any sort of hot streak.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
View Poll Results: Who do you buyout?
Alexei Emelin 0 0%
David Desharnais 33 47.83%
None of them 33 47.83%
Both of them 3 4.35%

Glorious!!!

I LOVE HFHabs.

WrkxexE.jpg

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If Therrien made one thing clear last season is that DD is one of our top 3 centers and he won't take defensive missions even if he would end up on the 4th line.

After last season, placing him on the wing going forward is wishful thinking.
Don't expect him to get off the PP neither, Therrien made that also crystal clear.

I know it's wishful thinking, but I choose to believe! :laugh:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I have no comment on buy outs. I'm sure management is reevaluating every player at this point, with or without regard to the cap. What the Habs need are buy ins, i.e., adding key players through the draft, trade, or free agent signings. The next few weeks should be interesting.

Sam Pollock once made a highly controversial trade with Detroit. He recognized that the Bruins. who had won the Stanley Cup in 1970, were on the verge of creating a dynasty. He gave up several talented young players (notably Mickey Redmond) in return for Frank Mahovlich, who didn't last long as a Hab but was the leading scorer in the implausible win of the Stanley Cup in 1971, when the Canadiens upset the Bruins and Black Hawks. Where did Mahovlich go? He bolted to the WHA. Interestingly, the Habs later acquired his younger brother, Pete, who played on several Habs Cup-winning teams in the same decade. Meanwhile, the Bruins won another Cup in 1972 but not another until 2011.

Needless to say, the Mahovlich trade worked out almost infinitely better than the Vanek trade.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Well, IMO, if a buyout was to happen, I think it would have by now. I doubt MB's calendar notification popped up Wednesday and he realized "Oh, Sh**, it's today!"

So, this either means he's going to try to deal one if not both DD and Emelin or nothing is happening. I doubt on June 30, he's going to have a sudden change of heart.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well, IMO, if a buyout was to happen, I think it would have by now. I doubt MB's calendar notification popped up Wednesday and he realized "Oh, Sh**, it's today!"

So, this either means he's going to try to deal one if not both DD and Emelin or nothing is happening. I doubt on June 30, he's going to have a sudden change of heart.

Probably right, but 2 weeks is enough to trade a player .
Might try as long as he can and if in 2 weeks, there's still nothing on the table, then maybe he'll pull the plug. That's still a possibility even if it's unlikely

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Buying players out is a last resort.

I cannot believe that a team wouldn't take DD for 1M, or Emelin for the same.

That means we can eat a contract or accept a contract in return to better our situation.

So a big fat no to buying out DD regardless of HF who is 100% riled up about DD.

And even worse for Emelin who is a valuable player.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Not to be a grammar nazi, but I will anyways. There's a huge difference between then and than. Not that it matters but it's a pet peeve of mine. :laugh:

When comparing one thing with another you may find that one is more appealing “than†another. “Than†is the word you want when doing comparisons.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Neither. Emelin was actually good last season for the most part and Desharnais should be tradable at 50% cap hit ($1.75 mil), a piece in a cap for cap trade or let him play for his NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad