Proposal: Buffalo - Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Basically the deal is proposing a swap of each team's best defenseman. Obviously Buffalo are going to say Risto is worth a lot, just like Vancouver says Tanev is too.

I don't know what Risto is like because I haven't seen enough of him yet. It might be a good trade, bad trade or even trade I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

However, I have no interest in Kane at this time. For the Canucks, I'd prefer to have Tanev and Juolevi instead of Risto and Kane. Unless he comes for a 4th round pick, I wouldn't touch Kane.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Both teams likely pass anyways. Two assets they both want to keep, well, maybe not Kane I don't really know what they want to do with him.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Ristolainin + Kane

For

Tanev + Juolevi

Initially, I thought no. I have rose colored Risto glasses because he was a bright spot of the Nolan team and think he's gonna be pretty damn good.

Tanev is right now better than Risto and he's probably going to be cheaper for the next 4 seasons. Joulevi I wanted to pair with Risto, would be a coup to get him for 2 year rental until UFA Evander.

I'm torn on Kane. Even ignoring his 3 poor-publicity off-ice instances as a Sabre, he will be out of the teams price range when UFA status comes up. He didn't fit right with Eichel, don't think he'll fit on Okposo's line either.

I'd probably say yes from Buffalo, a whole lot easier to replace Kane as 3rd line forechecking LW than as an ill-fitting top 6 LW. Gives us more team control to extend the playoff window budget and would create at least 4m? in cap space while improving the short term defence. Kane makes 5m, Risto is unsigned, could get 5m. Tanev makes 4mx4y, Juolevi 1mx3y when he makes the NHL?

I'd be fine just keeping Risto & Kane as well, but the proposal seems like a tactical upgrade that is smart financially. No idea about the Nucks prospects or plans after the Sedin's contracts run down, but it looks like they'll have a ton of cap space with Miller, Burrows, Sedin's expiring consecutive summers.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Initially, I thought no. I have rose colored Risto glasses because he was a bright spot of the Nolan team and think he's gonna be pretty damn good.

Tanev is right now better than Risto and he's probably going to be cheaper for the next 4 seasons. Joulevi I wanted to pair with Risto, would be a coup to get him for 2 year rental until UFA Evander.

I'm torn on Kane. Even ignoring his 3 poor-publicity off-ice instances as a Sabre, he will be out of the teams price range when UFA status comes up. He didn't fit right with Eichel, don't think he'll fit on Okposo's line either.

I'd probably say yes from Buffalo, a whole lot easier to replace Kane as 3rd line forechecking LW than as an ill-fitting top 6 LW. Gives us more team control to extend the playoff window budget and would create at least 4m? in cap space while improving the short term defence. Kane makes 5m, Risto is unsigned, could get 5m. Tanev makes 4mx4y, Juolevi 1mx3y when he makes the NHL?

I'd be fine just keeping Risto & Kane as well, but the proposal seems like a tactical upgrade that is smart financially. No idea about the Nucks prospects or plans after the Sedin's contracts run down, but it looks like they'll have a ton of cap space with Miller, Burrows, Sedin's expiring consecutive summers.

It's not an upgrade. Maybe if you think going into the season with Zach Bogosian as your best offensive D-man is an upgrade. Tanev instead of Risto makes the Sabres a significantly worse team, even if it might be an upgrade in a vacuum.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It's not an upgrade. Maybe if you think going into the season with Zach Bogosian as your best offensive D-man is an upgrade. Tanev instead of Risto makes the Sabres a significantly worse team, even if it might be an upgrade in a vacuum.

Yah who needs top pairing Dmen who STOP the other team from scoring, that would make any team significantly worse right?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yah who needs top pairing Dmen who STOP the other team from scoring, that would make any team significantly worse right?

Most top pairing Dmen do that. Sabres' biggest weakness last season was transition and offensive contribution from the blueline. Yes, replacing Risto with Tanev would make them a worse team, without a doubt.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Well said.:clap:

It would hurt to lose Risto.... but I'm fairly sure this deal would help the Sabres in the long game with two very solid high value defensive pieces even before you consider the financial / cap side.

For these reasons I don't think Vancouver considers the proposal.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Did you miss the throngs of people and journalists saying they overpaid or.....?

Yah, I also read the sound reasoning as to why the trade made sense, I also constantly read about how Dmen that put up points are far more valuable than Dmen that are very good at stopping the other team from scoring. It's HF boards logic and makes zero sense.

Also guys with potential are more valuable than proven commodities......

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
No doubt about Risto's potential and his now game, but his on ice impact is only now reaching the level Chris Tanev has been providing the Vancouver defence minimum 2 years of top pairing level defence, 2 previous years of Top4 level of defence. IMHO Risto is more of a 1/1 right now, but is also like 21.
The value difference comes at the age gap which provides the serious potential gap in Risto's top end, being his size and skating ability is crazy good.
But it seems people down play the ability Tanev has at suppressing shot against while not having to be a pure shot blocking Russell type. It's funny, the first year he got here we thought oh maybe one day he might become a #4D steady and efficient. Now it's how much more growing can he do? He's gone from undrafted college free agent to top pairing defender and regarded as one of the best pure shutdown type defenders along with Vlasic/Hjarm's of the world.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
No doubt about Risto's potential and his now game, but his on ice impact is only now reaching the level Chris Tanev has been providing the Vancouver defence minimum 2 years of top pairing level defence, 2 previous years of Top4 level of defence. IMHO Risto is more of a 1/1 right now, but is also like 21.
The value difference comes at the age gap which provides the serious potential gap in Risto's top end, being his size and skating ability is crazy good.
But it seems people down play the ability Tanev has at suppressing shot against while not having to be a pure shot blocking Russell type. It's funny, the first year he got here we thought oh maybe one day he might become a #4D steady and efficient. Now it's how much more growing can he do? He's gone from undrafted college free agent to top pairing defender and regarded as one of the best pure shutdown type defenders along with Vlasic/Hjarm's of the world.

Looking at it this way... the side of the deal that swings this hugely in favour of Buffalo is Juolevi for Kane.

The way I look at it is:

Risto > Juolevi (possibly equal or even in favour of OJ in future but too early to tell right now. Risto's few years of experience give him the definite edge for now)

Tanev >> Kane (whichever way you look at it)

Regardless - you really should make the move from a Sabres POV whichever way you break it down

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Both teams pass

As a Canucks fan, hell no to Evander Kane - probably wouldn't take him for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad