Buffalo Sabres 2024-25 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Looks like the lines we all kind of expected:

L1: Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
L2: Benson-Cozens-Quinn
L3: Zucker-McLeod-Greenway
L4: Malenstyn-Lafferty-Aube-Kubel
Ex. Krebs-Kulich

Defense is interesting without Dahlin. Hard to get a good read.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Is it weird that I kinda wish they'd give Benson a shot with Thompson and Tuch, just so we could finally see a full season of Peterka - Cozens - Quinn? Benson isn't Skinner but I think he could hang with those two, and PCQ has so much potential.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I refuse to give a shit about practice. People praised Granato's practices at first because he emphasized small area games, which were supposedly high compete. He also emphasized creativity over structure which everyone also praised.

Then when the team kept losing everyone started blaming his practices.

The only thing I give a shit about is the games (well, that and how he handles his goalies, he used to be notorious for running his #1 into the ground).

If the team fails then the pendulum will shift back from "disciplinarian" to "players coach". Tale as old as time...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I refuse to give a shit about practice. People praised Granato's practices at first because he emphasized small area games, which were supposedly high compete. He also emphasized creativity over structure which everyone also praised.

Then when the team kept losing everyone started blaming his practices.

The only thing I give a shit about is the games (well, that and how he handles his goalies, he used to be notorious for running his #1 into the ground).

If the team fails then the pendulum will shift back from "disciplinarian" to "players coach". Tale as old as time...
Agree and disagree.

The differences between the coaches are exaggerated. People acting like no one ever broke a sweat or got yelled at in Don's practices.

However, it does seem like don was successful in improving the skills of a bunch of players on the team (not that he deserves all the credit for each breakout). But those improvements weren't enough to create a winning hockey team. It doesn't mean his practice style didn't work, it just may not have completed the puzzle, which hopefully Ruffs does.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Agree and disagree.

The differences between the coaches are exaggerated. People acting like no one ever broke a sweat or got yelled at in Don's practices.

However, it does seem like don was successful in improving the skills of a bunch of players on the team (not that he deserves all the credit for each breakout). But those improvements weren't enough to create a winning hockey team. It doesn't mean his practice style didn't work, it just may not have completed the puzzle, which hopefully Ruffs does.

Should Don get credit, or should it reflect more on how much Bylsma/Housley/Krueger stifled offensive production?

As for practice, videos of pushups tell us nothing about teaching them how to play in their own end, which is the aspect of practice I care about. And no matter how good they look against each other, we really won't know how effective the coaching and practicing are until they play actual opponents.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I'm sure I can go back and find so many of these rehashed tired and tried replies season after season for the last 13 years.

I remember all the videos of Risto each off season lifting tires and doing other intense workouts as with other players and every season people think things will be different.

13 years you have been let down and yet here we are again for year 14.

I need change.

Serious change and I need to see it. I'm done buying.

If you need change as bad as you say, and you are convinced this version of the franchise isn’t giving you that (time will tell) then why not jump on another teams bandwagon? It will probably do you good.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If you need change as bad as you say, and you are convinced this version of the franchise isn’t giving you that (time will tell) then why not jump on another teams bandwagon? It will probably do you good.
If this era of Sabres hockey isn’t destroying you…you were never a fan to begin with. The people who care aren’t going to jump onto another bandwagon because this organization lets them down. They’re right to care. And it’s their right to express that caring as they see fit. Because they remain fans despite the worst ownership in sports history.

If you honestly see rooting for someone else as an option…you don’t understand the people who care. If your rationale is “hey it’s sports…it’s supposed to be fun” then it’s a good time to recognize that not everyone looks at things the same way. And not everyone agrees with that. It’s cool you can care so little that 13 years of this ownership doesn’t bother you and jumping ship is an option. It’s cool,..for you. Other people aren’t you. And they don’t need to be condescended to by someone who doesn’t care as much

I was here long before Terry Pegula destroyed this franchise…and I will be here long after he is gone. People like that have every right to feel however they want to. Because he’s just temporarily in charge of it. It belongs to us.

Last edited:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
If this era of Sabres hockey isn’t destroying you…you were never a fan to begin with. The people who care aren’t going to jump onto another bandwagon because this organization lets them down. They’re right to care. And it’s their right to express that caring as they see fit. Because they remain fans despite the worst ownership in sports history.

If you honestly see rooting for someone else as an option…you don’t understand the people who care. If your rationale is “hey it’s sports…it’s supposed to be fun” then it’s a good time to recognize that not everyone looks at things the same way. And not everyone agrees with that. It’s cool you can care so little that 13 years of this ownership doesn’t bother you and jumping ship is an option. It’s cool,..for you. Other people aren’t you. And they don’t need to be condescended to by someone who doesn’t care as much

I was here long before Terry Pegula destroyed this franchise…and I will be here long after he is gone. People like that have every right to feel however they want to. Because he’s just temporarily in charge of it. It belongs to us.
Because I’m not a destroyed person, I’m not a fan? :laugh:

Guess I’m not a fan of a team I’ve watched and rooted heavily for for 25 years.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Reactions: Ehran

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015

Ok, no. Your framing here is really messed up. You are implying that caring more is inherently better, but that's not remotely true. There is absolutely a level of caring that becomes unhealthy, and you've blown past that like going to plaid in Spaceballs. "You don't love them as much as I do" makes you sound like a stalker.

Getting mad at most of the rest of us for not being mad isn't going to accomplish anything. Most of us watch hockey for fun, and when it isn't fun we go do something else. I'll never be mad about the Sabres for more than a few minutes, because when you get right down to it it's a bunch of millionaires I don't know playing a sport where I peaked in high school.

And if you read this as being condescended to by a lesser fan, I'd like to point out that those of us who unplug are doing more to hold the organization accountable than those of you who give them eyeballs, clicks, and purchases no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad