Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is baseball starting this week? is hockey, basketball and shortly football? those are sports, but hey - MMA was back in May, so we had sports..

Still going on this? Have fun with it. My point stands whether you like the sports that had already returned or not.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
MMA is a far more demanding sport than 99% of the sports out there. You may not like it, but it's as real as it gets. Comparing it to WWE shows me how little you know about the sport and how little you understand it. And that's fine. It's not for everyone, but again, it's a professional sport that has been back for months now, despite the hedging of and clarifications of statements by others in this thread. :laugh:

But is MMA really on the level of the big 4 sports (basketball, football, baseball & hockey)? I know the prize money for the championship fights has been huge but in terms of people attending & watching on tv??? Seriously?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Still going on this? Have fun with it. My point stands whether you like the sports that had already returned or not.

Right, because you've never gone on about anything. We aren't seeing sports return. MMA started months ago, so baseball, hockey, football and other sports returning is irrelevant.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But is MMA really on the level of the big 4 sports (basketball, football, baseball & hockey)? I know the prize money for the championship fights has been huge but in terms of people attending & watching on tv??? Seriously?

In reality, the big 4 is a Big 3, with hockey being way less than the others in America. In terms of PPV buys for UFC, like boxing it's more about who's fighting. If it's a good card with big stars, they'll rake it in. If it's not, it won't be viewed by casual fans that much, and that's the key to getting a PPV to be huge. The money is set up so the fighters get very little until they're big time, then they get points on the back end from the PPV sales. So a guy can get like $500K to fight, but end up getting a few million if the buys are there.

Top 10 PPV buys in UFC History as of March:
9. UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey - 1,100,000 - $60 million
9. UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm - 1,100,000 - $60 million
8. UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin - 1,160,000 - $55 million
7. UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes - 1,200,000 - $71 million
6. UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor - 1,300,000 - $83 million
5. UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor - 1,400,000 - $80 million
4. UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz - 1,500,000 - $80 million
3. UFC 100: Lesnar vs. Mir II - 1,600,000 - $82 million
2. UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor II - 1,650,000 - $90 million
1. UFC 229: Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor - 2,400,000 - $180 million

To give you some idea of where that ranks compared to boxing, the highest PPV of all time was 2.4 million buys for Mayweather vs De La Hoya. Tyson's fights typically got 1.5 to just under 2 million buys when he was fighting. When you had the crossover of Mayweather vs McGregor, that was 4.3 million PPV buys.

But to bring it back to baseball, I'll check out the game tomorrow and it will be fun to have it back. I just hope it goes okay.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
That pitching roster just screams "massive clusterf***" to me :cry: :laugh:

They'll have to score at least 9 runs a game to win and even that might not be enough.

Oh well. Play ball!!!!!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I look at it as flinging a bunch of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks as useful for next year

Reactions: BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Scherzer left that one right in his sweet spot.

I'm listening on the radio so I didn't see it, but it sounded like a major league ding dong johnson.

Side note, why does mlb.com try to charge people for radio access when I can just go to espn radio on tunein and stream the game legally that way?

Reactions: GabeTravels
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad