Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Good trade for the Oilers in that they alleviate some CAP and get to take a flyer on a hugh upside prospect.

I don't think it's as bad for Buffalo as a lot of people are saying. I think Savoie is getting a bit overrated and his chances of making the NHL are still in the air.

Even still I like this trade better for Edmonton. Moving off of Ken Holland is already starting to benefit the team.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
That's what happens when you're a small speedy winger that tries to run through everyone

Playstyle does influence injuries. Not sure what you're on about

I think the idea would be not trading for a player because you are worried about injuries isnt really an issue. You just talk to doctors and then make a decision.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If Rasmussen was extremely fast, better defensively, and took faceoffs regularly I probably would.

Never been high on Savoie. Seems like you just looked at Savoie's hockeydb and never watched him play.
Rasmussen is great defensively and on the kill, massive, and produces better than McLeod without having a Draisaitl.

Who cares if McLeod takes a lot of faceoffs if he’s not good at this them lol.
Can guarantee if I made a Savoie for Rasmussen thread, or McLeod for that matter it would have been closed in minutes for trolling

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Rasmussen is great defensively and on the kill, massive, and produces better than McLeod without having a Draisaitl.

Who cares if McLeod takes a lot of faceoffs if he’s not good at this them lol.
Can guarantee if I made a Savoie for Rasmussen thread, or McLeod for that matter it would have been closed in minutes for trolling
You realize McLeod had 23 points in 57 games not playing with Drai, which would be 33 points in full season?

McLeod had a 50.8 faceoff %, which would be 1st on our team & it's not even close.

It's like you have no clue what you're even talking about.

I could care less what people who have never watched Savoie & just look at box scores think. Actual NHL circles think very differently.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I am not going to say McLeod isn't worth Savoie straight up. But, it's pretty much MAXIMUM value he could have gotten in a trade. Normally a player would fetch some value (up to max, but rarely), depending on market conditions. Given that the Oilers are in a cap jam, I can only think of a couple of reasons they were able to extract max value:

a. There was a bidding war for McLeod, Buffalo just happened to come out on top
b. Adams is not a competent GM, and could not comprehend that (a) wasn't the case here

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I am not going to say McLeod isn't worth Savoie straight up. But, it's pretty much MAXIMUM value he could have gotten in a trade. Normally a player would fetch some value (up to max, but rarely), depending on market conditions. Given that the Oilers are in a cap jam, I can only think of a couple of reasons they were able to extract max value:

a. There was a bidding war for McLeod, Buffalo just happened to come out on top
b. Adams is not a competent GM, and could not comprehend that (a) wasn't the case here
The answer is definitely B

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Didn't know we had prime Lindros in our line up, we must have played him too low and way too light minutes. Hopefully Sabres give him top 6 time.

So you are saying there is more of these type of trades of coming because you just have too much of those great prospects. Good that you already have Oilers number, please give a call when you are ready for the next move, we gather something from bottom of the barrel.
Or, one of your 2 star players won't re-sign when their contract is up and will be looking for a new home if you don't maintain cup competitiveness next season?
There's so much more to moves sometimes than just moves.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
McLeod is a reliable bottom 6 player. He's not supposed to get on the score sheet every night. For a 6'3 player he can actually skate and has decent edges

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
McCloud is not a "very good defensive center". With Oilers, he couldn't play center well, so he was moved to wing. He's good on the PK and good at skating. It's future-oriented hopeful thinking to say he's a good defensive 3C, since McCloud has never been a good defensive 3C so far in his career

Every statistical model has him as a top quintile defensive forward in the NHL.

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You realize McLeod had 23 points in 57 games not playing with Drai, which would be 33 points in full season?

McLeod had a 50.8 faceoff %, which would be 1st on our team & it's not even close.

It's like you have no clue what you're even talking about.

I could care less what people who have never watched Savoie & just look at box scores think. Actual NHL circles think very differently.
A whole 33pts!? That’s crazy, start the parade!

He’s 49% on his career big fella.

You mean the same NHL circles who drafted him 9th overall? Those same circles? Please show us where the NHL has now viewed him poorly?

And no, a desperate, poorly run team making a desperate move is not proof lol

Ad

Ad

Ad