Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Stats say otherwise.
No, no they don’t.

They say exactly what I claimed.

McLeod benefitted from playing with Drai and racking up points on his wing for a short span and also playing with very good defensive wingers when he was used at center. He was literally benched in the playoffs for his poor defensive play.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
nah, let him develop in the AHL...Oilers are vying for the Cup, not developing rookies in the NHL
Players are ready when they’re ready. They don’t need to be 24 with 200 AHL games. Lots of the value Savoie has is he might be able to contribute to a cup threat team while on his ELC.

Sounds like dry isn't getting re-signed
His own agent is very confident he’s re-signing in Edmonton. We’re looking at Savoie as a RW.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Stats say otherwise.
McLeod's defensive value comes from his ability to control possession. You put his line out there when you want a minute of non-event hockey. Foegele and McLeod were great at endlessly cycling the puck for 40 seconds and then throwing it back to the point for a muffin on net.

I'd love to see the more granular defensive stats, but when it came to in-zone defense McLeod was nothing special IMO. Couldn't clear (like JP), bad turnovers in D-zone, couldn't close off players physically.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Also if I’m not mistaken Savoie wasn’t AHL eligible to start this year. I think his options were NHL or CHL, and when he got hurt in the prospects tournament it wasn’t going to be NHL.
Correct. The rule for CHL players is 4 years or age 20 season and his birthday is Jan 1st so he was 1 day too young to be AHL eligible, and only played 3 years in the CHL before the 23-24 season as he played in the USHL in 20-21 (CHL Covid lockdown).

He got hurt in the prospects tournament, then was allowed to play a handful of games in the AHL on a conditioning assignment, played a few minutes in 1 game in the NHL, and then went back to the WHL.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
everybody just has it out for the Oilers I guess
It’s just funny that the Sabres fan perspective seems to be “trust us we know our team better than anyone else and Savoie is overrated” but the same logic doesn’t seem to apply to the Oilers fans that have watched Ryan McLeod play 200+ hockey games over the years.

Correct. The rule for CHL players is 4 years or age 20 season and his birthday is Jan 1st so he was 1 day too young to be AHL eligible, and only played 3 years in the CHL before the 23-24 season as he played in the USHL in 20-21 (CHL Covid lockdown).

He got hurt in the prospects tournament, then was allowed to play a handful of games in the AHL on a conditioning assignment, played a few minutes in 1 game in the NHL, and then went back to the WHL.
Excellent post

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
nah, let him develop in the AHL...Oilers are vying for the Cup, not developing rookies in the NHL
It's not unheard of for a team that's deep at forward to ease a rookie like this in. See Wyatt Johnston in Dallas, Brayden Point in Tampa (not comparing him to these players just the situation they entered the league in).

The Oilers without question have the centre and winger depth to shelter him especially if Nuge moves back to centre.

Sounds like dry isn't getting re-signed
How on earth did you come to this conclusion?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McLeod's defensive value comes from his ability to control possession. You put his line out there when you want a minute of non-event hockey. Foegele and McLeod were great at endlessly cycling the puck for 40 seconds and then throwing it back to the point for a muffin on net.

I'd love to see the more granular defensive stats, but when it came to in-zone defense McLeod was nothing special IMO. Couldn't clear (like JP), bad turnovers in D-zone, couldn't close off players physically.
I agree with your assessment. McLeod's defensive strength came from his puck carrying and neutral zone back checking which resulted in a lot of takeaways. His D zone play isn't particularly strong because he's not physical and he floats a lot in the defensive zone so he's really bad at breaking up the cycle. The reason he's strong on the PK is because the system utilizes that neutral zone disruption on zone entries and they play an aggressive style where his skating allows him to get into lanes.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Savoie is gonna be the Oilers version of Stankhoven. Let him play in the AHL to start and force his way on to a team with great depth if injuries occur.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
It’s just funny that the Sabres fan perspective seems to be “trust us we know our team better than anyone else and Savoie is overrated” but the same logic doesn’t seem to apply to the Oilers fans that have watched Ryan McLeod play 200+ hockey games over the years.

Excellent post
Nobody is saying Savoie is overrated lol. Maybe 2-3 posters have said that. Most are being real with you guys that most likely he absolutely maxes out as a 2W but more likely a middle 6 undersized winger. It’s not bad.

But if Mcleod’s underlyings are real and he provides us something we need on our 3rd line - we are fine with it. Just because we aren’t pissed about it doesn’t mean we’re saying we’re right you’re wrong.

Reactions: CoffeyMcMan

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Nobody is saying Savoie is overrated lol. Maybe 2-3 posters have said that. Most are being real with you guys that most likely he absolutely maxes out as a 2W but more likely a middle 6 undersized winger. It’s not bad.

But if Mcleod’s underlyings are real and he provides us something we need on our 3rd line - we are fine with it. Just because we aren’t pissed about it doesn’t mean we’re saying we’re right you’re wrong.
That's where you're wrong, the heavy majority of Sabres fans are pissed about it, and the heavy majority of neutral fans believe Adams once again made a terrible decision.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
You and I have different definitions of a “streak”.

The only streak you have is in your underwear buddy.
at my age that does happen

Yeah I’m there often and I’d say most say we overpaid but are fine with the deal. What happens when your GM drafts 5 of the same player.
McLeod has a good smile and speed but he is what he is, Sabre fans will be filled with great hope when they see him look like McDavid and MacKinnon with his speed and by game 20 wish for more

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Congratulations, you just described every non franchise level prospect in existence.

I offer your Rasmussen for Savoie before this trade, you taking it?
If Rasmussen was extremely fast, better defensively, and took faceoffs regularly I probably would.

Never been high on Savoie. Seems like you just looked at Savoie's hockeydb and never watched him play.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Amazing how after the trade Ryan McLeod is suddenly an elite defensive 3C and Savoie is just a struggling prospect who’s stock has gone way down since being drafted lol

Never change HF mains.
Oilers fans have it the worst I swear. Praying for you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad