Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ironic that the Oilers cut ties with Matt’s older brother this summer.

Sneaking suspicion that Carter will sign an AHL deal with Bakersfield to play with Matt again. I think that would be cool for Matt as well and help him settle into his pro career.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Makes sense from both sides. Sabres increase their size, Oilers get paid with a bit more skill.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Despite this being a fleecing, I do actually think it improves Buffalo. Their goal at this point is to make the playoffs and McLeod is a quality regular season player. I'm not sure he's going to help you once you reach the dance though. They've been trying to beat the "perimeter player" out of the player ever since he was drafted and he still refuses to take a hit to make a play, and certainly wont go into the corner for a loose puck, and won't drive the net if there's any kind of traffic on his way there. He's an exceptional skater, but it really is too bad that he doesn't have the other puck skills or "will" to go to dirty areas.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Buffalo is that guy in my fantasy league who the other GMs rush to trade with the day after the draft and strip him of assets. I'm sorry Mark.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
If this is how oilers fans feel about McLeod wait till they see Jeff skinner play hockey
A lot of complaints disappear when you score goals. McLeod was/is not a high-level finisher and didn't have what it takes to compete as a bottom six player.

The point is, you have to provide value that isn't redundant.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There’s literally one poster trolling oilers fans. Like three neutral fans saying hey it makes a little sense. And handful of Sabres fans recognizing it’s an overpay but saying McLeod fits a big need.

come on man, if you are seriously suggesting there’s an anti-Edmonton bias in this thread, you are really looking hard to find it
There's been more than one poster in this thread, but it's a common theme in a lot of mainboard threads. Again, has nothing to do with Edmonton. I see it in just about every topic on the mainboard with more regularity than you would ever chalk up to just "trolling".

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
As much as I try to rationalize it and as much as it does, in fact, improve Buffalo's team and address a MAJOR hole on the roster...it's very hard not to think they sold low on Savoie. They may not feel the effects of it with a loaded farm system (Ostlund, Wahlberg, Helenius, Kulich, etc). Still feels like selling low though because there was a very dire need to address the third line center spot.

It's Adams fault for neglecting the bottom 6 for so long... and for trading Mitts

It's bad value wise..but we are better for it today at least. Savoie is skilled but he has trouble staying healthy against junior level players.. he has a lot of beefing up to do in order to handle the grind of AHL let alone NHL

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'm one of McLeod's biggest fans on the Oilers board and even I thought the Oilers would get something like a 2nd rounder for him. 1st++? Absolutely no way. One of the top prospects from a team? No way.

Yall need to chill out.

Could have been saying the same about Peyton Krebs when he was traded.

No one knows this prospect better than Buffalo. Consider that.

There are lots of players drafted high that don't even turn out to be a Ryan McLeod.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
I’m going to play devils advocate with this move…McLeod has plenty of big-game experience and scored 3 goals in the Finals this year. He has outstanding speed, is good at transporting the puck through neutral and into the o-zone, good PKer, a smart defensive player but very soft. I think he will improve the Sabres this year and I’ll miss him in Edmonton. He really fell out of favour with a lot of the fan base but he’s still young and still likely has 40-50pt upside.

Having said that I don’t really know anything about Savoie, it sounds like he could have a higher ceiling than Clouder so maybe this will work out for both teams.

Reactions: PuckG

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If this is how oilers fans feel about McLeod wait till they see Jeff skinner play hockey
I actually have no complaints with McLeod's defensive game. There just isn't anything else going for him beyond his skating. He doesn't exactly have much for hands, he doesn't have much of a shot, he won't ever go to the inner 2/3rds of the ice or into a board battle (Skinner will). I'm not seeing any of the parallels that you're trying to make. I assume you're suggesting that Skinner is lazy, which McLeod is not. He's just afraid of contact.

Skinner sucks lol. Savoie wont help you next season and Arvidson is not That good
This may be some of the worst coping I've seen on this board. It's ok my friend things will get better if you draft a generational talent. Oilers fans know your pain better than anyone else around here.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yall need to chill out.

Could have been saying the same about Peyton Krebs when he was traded.

No one knows this prospect better than Buffalo. Consider that.

There are lots of players drafted high that don't even turn out to be a Ryan McLeod.
I’d agree with this sentiment. I think it’s a more a fair trade than a fleecing.

It’ll all depends how Savoie pans out really before anyone really knows how good/bad this trade was. Seems a bit undersized…

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
That seems to be a terrible trade by Buffalo.
What? lol
The Sabres have a plethora of top 6 potential prospects.. Their pipeline is literally over flowing with them. 13 seasons of no playoffs will do that to a pipe line, it will also afford the opportunity to address immediate roster need with those assets.
There are questions on Savoie, which have arisen from multiple Sabres fans based media outlets and forums. He's often injured for starters, disappears in critical moments another. These have been discussed on wgr550 from time to time and multiple fan forums with those who follow Sabres prospects very closely.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
I actually have no complaints with McLeod's defensive game. There just isn't anything else going for him beyond his skating. He doesn't exactly have much for hands, he doesn't have much of a shot, he won't ever go to the inner 2/3rds of the ice or into a board battle (Skinner will). I'm not seeing any of the parallels that you're trying to make. I assume you're suggesting that Skinner is lazy, which McLeod is not. He's just afraid of contact.

This may be some of the worst coping I've seen on this board. It's ok my friend things will get better if you draft a generational talent. Oilers fans know your pain better than anyone else around here.
Oilers is only good because they have mcdavid and drai. Put Skinner with him and everyone Will look good . Skinner is not good enough for any of the sabres lines .

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
What? lol
The Sabres have a plethora of top 6 potential prospects.. Their pipeline is literally over flowing with them. 13 seasons of no playoffs will do that to a pipe line, it will also afford the opportunity to address immediate roster need with those assets.
There are questions on Savoie, which have arisen from multiple Sabres fans based media outlets and forums. He's often injured for starters, disappears in critical moments another. These have been discussed on wgr550 from time to time and multiple fan forums with those who follow Sabres prospects very closely.

Ok, let's say this is all true.

Why the hell was he drafted at #9 2 years ago then?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Also part of the group that bought the Sens.

Kinda why I've always liked Tullio. He's a lot like Hyman and has spent a ton of time proving to people that it isn't just daddy's money getting him there.

Interesting. I know Curlock is high on him, and he doesn’t play like a player with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad