Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sabres also got Tullio. Mostly a nothing prospect IMO. But there’s atleast one amateur scout in Edmonton who thinks he will be a player cause of his grit. Sabres fans can look up Bruce Curlock if they want to feel good about their additions today. Very detailed scouting reports provided for both of the new Sabres today.
Just wasn't room for Tullio on this roster. Only room for 1 guy who's only good at hockey because his dad's rich.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They found a replacement for Draisatl next year. Good trade for Edmonton.
What an incredible exaggeration.

Savoie is most likely not even a center at the NHL level, and he will definitely need AHL seasoning. A realistic projection of him is a skilled, slippery middle six winger who can play on special teams. He will be Jeff Skinner's replacement, more than anything, if he is NHL ready in 2025-26.

Still a really good prospect and return for Edmonton though.

Viscerally my first reaction for Buffalo on this one was "ooof". But McLeod will definitely help them and is still pretty young himself. If Buffalo can challenge for the playoffs and McLeod solidifies the third line defensively, I think the Sabres will feel ok about this.

Reactions: Gordian Knot

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Now that absolutely makes a ton of sense. If Savoie isn't the type of player your coach likes, its best to trade him now before he kills any value the player has.
Savoie is a 200 ft dog with no weaknesses in his game. He is absolutely not a player any coach wouldn’t like.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Dude, this entire thread is 90% of people shitting on the sabres and saying exactly what you said they aren’t. Your oiler victim mentality must be extremely strong not to see that. Holy crap?
I'm aware what the general consensus is, and this has nothing to do with takes on Edmonton. This is everything to do with how bad a vocal minority are on this board.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don’t hate the Oilers whatsoever. I am an unbiased neutral fan. I see a 5’9” forward that can only bring offence and I see a flawed prospect that is going to get eaten alive come playoff time.
Good thing he's probably two years away from having to play in those high stress situations.

The Oilers have a farm team with a pretty decent selection of skilled forwards to help him get his footing as a pro.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm happy with the trade as an Oilers fan but I think McLeod is being a bit undersold here. He's not a bum by any means, 3rd liner that can really help Buffalo now and is young enough to be part of the team for a while. They need to start winning sooner than later and have a surplus of prospects, kind of surprising that Savoie didn't have more value but McLeod makes them better now.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Am I missing something.... in what world does Ryan Mcleod bring back even a late 1st/2nd let alone Matt Savoie....

Soemething is definitely off....

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Part of me wonders if Buffalo is looking at Florida and is like "Oh crap, Savoie is 5'9" and the players are getting bigger now" and is doing this trade as a result. Actually, this trade isn't terrible for Buffalo. McLeod has a ton of value as a cost-controlled middle-6 center.
McLeod is better on wing than center. Most of his offensive numbers this season occurred on Draisaitl's wing.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I'm happy with the trade as an Oilers fan but I think McLeod is being a bit undersold here. He's not a bum by any means, 3rd liner that can really help Buffalo now and is young enough to be part of the team for a while. They need to start winning sooner than later and have a surplus of prospects, kind of surprising that Savoie didn't have more value but McLeod makes them better now.
4 pts in 24 playoff games - getting a return of Matt Savoie is ridiculous

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Am I missing something.... in what world does Ryan Mcleod bring back even a late 1st/2nd let alone Matt Savoie....

Soemething is definitely off....
As much as I try to rationalize it and as much as it does, in fact, improve Buffalo's team and address a MAJOR hole on the roster...it's very hard not to think they sold low on Savoie. They may not feel the effects of it with a loaded farm system (Ostlund, Wahlberg, Helenius, Kulich, etc). Still feels like selling low though because there was a very dire need to address the third line center spot.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm aware what the general consensus is, and this has nothing to do with takes on Edmonton. This is everything to do with how bad a vocal minority are on this board.

There’s literally one poster trolling oilers fans. Like three neutral fans saying hey it makes a little sense. And handful of Sabres fans recognizing it’s an overpay but saying McLeod fits a big need.

come on man, if you are seriously suggesting there’s an anti-Edmonton bias in this thread, you are really looking hard to find it

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kevyn Adams doesn’t know WTF he’s doing.

Like this is such a massive overpay. McLeod is at best a speedy 4th liner. They just gave away a 9th overall pick from 2 years ago… like what!!!
I'm one of McLeod's biggest fans on the Oilers board and even I thought the Oilers would get something like a 2nd rounder for him. 1st++? Absolutely no way. One of the top prospects from a team? No way.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad