Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Only read the first page, so apologies if this has been addressed but, what is Buffalo doing? Did Savoie ask for a trade? Otherwise seems kind of a weird trade for Buffalo to trade him away for essentially a bottom six forward with limited upside.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Only read the first page, so apologies if this has been addressed but, what is Buffalo doing? Did Savoie ask for a trade? Otherwise seems kind of a weird trade for Buffalo to trade him away for essentially a bottom six forward with limited upside.
You don't think trading a top 10 pick from 2 years ago for depth is a good strategy? Well, the Buffalo Sabres will prove you wrong by finishing in 24th place next season!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
People who don’t really follow the prospect world and say “wow Savoie!!!!” Becuase he was a big name who at one top in 2021/2022 was challenging for a top spot in the draft but don’t realize he’s not that anymore.

Still a decent prospect but haven’t liked his progression since his draft year. Projects as a middle 6 scorer than a star some projected him as. Still perfectly reasonable to think EDM won this deal but savoie isn’t some can’t miss blue chip prospect like some people are making him out to be

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Henrique is past his prime. McLeod is just entering his.
McLeod's will need to become more consistent and work on some of his physical and mental tools if he wants a prime that comes close too wear Henrique is right now. I do hope he gets there, I like Ryan McLeod, but I'm okay with moving on from him. I'm tired of waiting for him to get better.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
By the way, McLeod put up 11 of his points in 10 games on Draisaitl's wing. He had 23 points in the other 95 games the Oilers played last year aka a 19 point pace.
So he did well with opportunity and struggled without it?

Why would they not just keep doing what was working?

Feb 5, 2016
At first i thought there was some other savoie in buffalo or something lol
There was some other Savoie in Edmonton until he was left unqualified.

Bakersfield had to make room for Matthew Savoie so they left Carter Savoie unqualified.

Now I’ll do that thing that the kids do and finish my sentence with an LMAO :laugh:

Lol newsflash man. McLeod is not a centre!
I don’t know McLeod started the season as a center but ended up as a LWer.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
McLeod is an okish regular season #3C and a good #4C I however prefer him at wing where he can play in your middle six where he does well as a puck transporter and defensive conscience. Pretty good PKer. His offense is frustratingly streaky, I think he processes the game a little too slowly and is a little too contact shy to be consistent. So far in his career he's faded in the playoffs. He's a player type who can grow when nearing their thirties so I can see him be useful for Buffalo. Just don't expect any grit, there’s very little going to the tough areas, a little more when playing wing but still rare and don't let the occasional offensive outburst fool you. I hope he can add an element or two and be a real contributer for the Sabres it's about time you guys make the playoffs. He's an incredible skater and not without skill so he can play, he was just losing ground in Edmonton and his lousy playoff performance made him an obvious cap casuality.
I like Tullio and think he will be an NHLer down the line, likely in the bottom six, hard working kid.

Can't say I've kept much track on Savoie but he's clearly very skilled, I honestly didn't think McLeod would return much after the playoffs he just had so on the surface it's a far better outcome than I expected.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
some oilers fans really hated mcleod it seems, im shocked

someone who's been keeping up with Savoie, what can we expect of him come october. is he NHL ready and at what role?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
So he did well with opportunity and struggled without it?

Why would they not just keep doing what was working?
The Oilers needed to move Cap space out McLeod Peak is a 40-point player ,Oilers replaced him with a high-end prospect while saving 2.1 million on the cap , the team is loaded with Offence and can wait on Savoie or use him as trade bait at the deadline . Mcleod is a waste on the Oilers on the 4th line , trade had to be done

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
People who don’t really follow the prospect world and say “wow Savoie!!!!” Becuase he was a big name who at one top in 2021/2022 was challenging for a top spot in the draft but don’t realize he’s not that anymore.

Still a decent prospect but haven’t liked his progression since his draft year. Projects as a middle 6 scorer than a star some projected him as. Still perfectly reasonable to think EDM won this deal but savoie isn’t some can’t miss blue chip prospect like some people are making him out to be
I don't think any of us are really expecting a star.

A potential cheap middle six scorer is way more than we expected to get for a guy that most of would have been happy to see gone for free.

Savoie having Edmonton roots is pretty cool too.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Is it the injury that you haven't liked? He was great in the WHL last season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I still think it will be Ceci. Kulak is one of the best bottom pair anchors in the league, and we will need that if our bottom pair is going to have one of Josh Brown or Troy Stecher on a nightly basis.
Broberg might sign an offersheet if there is not LD room on the team for him.

It's funny that a rookie was thrown into division finals and forced to play their offside in playoffs instead of a veteran like Nurse or Kulak.

Also Kulak a 3rd pairing Dman making 2.75M might be too much for MrJackson.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

The Oilers have traded a lot of picks the last few seasons so at least they add a prospect and they were able to trade a 4th line cap dump for something better then a 2nd round pick.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think any of us are really expecting a star.

A potential cheap middle six scorer is way more than we expected to get for a guy that most of would have been happy to see gone for free.

Savoie having Edmonton roots is pretty cool too.
I feel like if all of these guys reach their potential, we just traded the equivalent of Andrew Cogliano and Ethan Moreau for Jordan Eberle, ha ha.

Feb 5, 2016
some oilers fans really hated mcleod it seems, im shocked

someone who's been keeping up with Savoie, what can we expect of him come october. is he NHL ready and at what role?
My guess would be C-RWer in Bakersfield.

Then again I’ve been told I don’t know the puck so I could be off.

This thread just slowed it down a lot. Everyone went to their respective team boards to chat amongst their own kind.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How are people this shocked about a big return for a center after seeing massive contracts for centers and massive trade returns for centers.

Mcleod was 100% worth a 1st++.

25, excellent defensively and on the kill, one of the better skaters in the league. quality 3Cs are a rare commodity
Jake Evan’s anyone?

• Haha
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad