Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
But that is the issue. If the only time a player can do anything is when they play with Draisaitl or McDavid, it doesn't help the Oilers much.

Lol I know, I was being facetious.

I feel like a lot of eastern conference fans think of Ryan McLeod like they think of his brother. Idk, Ryan McLeod is like pretty much 95% just skating - I love the guy and wish him well - but if he's doing anything other than skating really fast he's pretty much below average at everything.

There is a player there potentially with McLeod - but for his salary and his flaws - and where the Oilers are at - mixed with the return... I won't miss him tbh.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great for Edmonton. They got a likely top 6 forward for almost nothing. An okay bottom six guy with jam and speed. They needed to clear money, so they were looking to trade him or someone else anyway.

For Buffalo, this is a flat out bad trade. This is why the BPA at a certain point becomes a stupid strategy. You put yourself in a bind where the assets whose stock is high you aren't going to want to trade and the ones whose stock is low you are going to not get good value for. Getting what they did for a 9th overall from two years ago would be pretty upsetting for me if I was a Sabres fan. I'd be even more upset they just drafted another small forward, and will have to find ways to extract value in trades for more of them after this trade.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
3. Signed a better 3C (Henrique) and better wingers (Arvidsson, Skinner, Janmark, Brown) and have a kid who is looking to break out (Holloway) and Kane.

Oilers bringing Perry back was a head scratcher but now it makes some sense.
Oilers need more size speed infused into their lineup, not less. That’s my issue here.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I suspect Buffalo won’t even care about Mcleod’s “softness”. It doesn’t matter much for regular season. For the Oilers it does though, you need all players able to play a physical game in the playoffs.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
this thread has essentially become a top level hating thread of both Savoie and McLeod
Yeh, I don't understand the need to bash one player to make the other look better..

Hopefully both make their respective clubs better.
Oilers will reallocate the cap savings from McLeod to signing Holloway and Broberg .

Reactions: KlefDown

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He uses it well to get the upper hand when driving to the net with the puck, I know he isn’t the smartest player but just because hems not on your team anymore doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.

I can likely count on one hand how many times I've seen McLeod "drive to the net", and I have watched literally every NHL game he has ever played in.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, cause 1 goal in the last 20 games of the season is stellar play:sarcasm:
It’s not. But that doesn’t mean his game fell off a Cliff cause of his brothers charging.

He was a .4 ppg player before his brother was charged. And was a .37 off player after, while becoming a better defensive player.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He uses it well to get the upper hand when driving to the net with the puck, I know he isn’t the smartest player but just because hems not on your team anymore doesn’t mean he’s a bad player.
Oh my sweet summer child.

I like Ryan McLeod. I've watched virtually every game of his NHL career.

I'd only need one hand to count the number of times he's driven to the net with the puck. McLeod is a perimeter player. It's been the knock on him since junior and is the prime reason he fell out of the first round in his draft year.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Lol I know, I was being facetious.

I feel like a lot of eastern conference fans think of Ryan McLeod like they think of his brother. Idk, Ryan McLeod is like pretty much 95% just skating - I love the guy and wish him well - but if he's doing anything other than skating really fast he's pretty much below average at everything.

There is a player there potentially with McLeod - but for his salary and his flaws - and where the Oilers are at - mixed with the return... I won't miss him tbh.
Got ya. Yeah his stats actually flatter him. If he was a consistent solid player that scored 30 points a season, the Oilers would have kept him as their 3rd line center. Unfortunately he isn't physical, extremely ineffective most games, and he creates almost zero offense. It's amazing his stats are as good as they are and they likely fool people into thinking he has good offensive potential.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
More Ryan McLeod’s help you win?

Absolutely not.
100% - he is a demon on the forecheck and back check. You need players like him with speed and heart to win come playoff time. Not saying he’s the sole reason the Oilers went far last season but he was a piece of the puzzle, and now that piece is gone and hasn’t been replaced.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Don't know much about Matt Savoie except he was a 9th overall pick a few years ago and is trending "Decently" Ryan McLeod on the other hand should get more of an opportunity in Buffalo, and honestly played well in the playoffs for the oilers.
Also, Benson McLeod - Zucker line is gonna be fun af together.
Right now I would say it's a win "On paper" for Edmonton based on reactions and draft position, but I like this for buffalo also.

Nice trade for both teams.
McLeod is the sole reason your Canucks almost made a miraculous comeback in Game 7

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nobody has ever said this about McLeod while he was a member of the Oilers.

Numbers are numbers, man, idk what to tell you. McLeod has strong defensive metrics.

I don’t even like this trade, but it’s obvious what kind of role McLeod can fill on the Sabres roster.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
It’s not. But that doesn’t mean his game fell off a Cliff cause of his brothers charging.

He was a .4 ppg player before his brother was charged. And was a .37 off player after, while becoming a better defensive player.
He wasn't better defensively. He had quite a few boneheaded turnovers during the regular season that lead to goals. It wasn't til his screwup to Garland in Game 7 that he finally got benched for it. It was looooong overdue.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I can likely count on one hand how many times I've seen McLeod "drive to the net", and I have watched literally every NHL game he has ever played in.
Sure buddy, and I suppose you know a lot about Savoie too, or are you just looking at draft position? I fear he’s Griffin Reinhart all over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad