Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Foegle and McLeod are losses that Oilers will feel. I like those two going up against the Vegas and Vancouver mammoth D’s more than Savoie and Skinner.

They chose Adam Henrique over McLeod basically, which is probably the right call, Henrique is the better player. Savoie is just an add to the prospect pool.

Reactions: HitterD

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
It wouldn't surprise me if Savoie becomes Logan Stankoven-like trade deadline call up in lieu of a trade for another player. Yeah, Savoie is small, but stick him on Draisatl's wing and he'll be extremely effective.

I've always felt the McLeod brothers lacked anything between the ears. I highly doubt Ryan McLeod ever eclipses 40 points in a season. He can skate fast, but can't think the game at a high level.
In terms of hockey sense, Mikey McLeod was actually an excellent 2/3C for the Devils this year. One of their most important players after Hughes, Hamilton, and Hischier (for a while) went down. He obviously has no common sense, but if we're talking hockey, then he was more than fine.

Reactions: dgibb10

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Bad asset management from Buffalo. I like it for Oilers on a value perspective, but McLoed was a useful role player with size come playoff time... Sabres will have to get there in the first place. Don't like.it for them at all. Fine move for the Oilers, but nothing to go crazy over. I was never a big Savoie fan tbh

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Oilers are getting rid of him because they 1. can’t afford him, and 2. Are too caught up on “9th overall selection 2 years ago” just like they did with Griffin Reinhart in 2015.
No, it's because he is currently one of the most ineffective players on the team. He couldn't perform as good as Janmark or Connor Brown. They had to get players to replace him because he is not very good.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Oilers are getting rid of him because they 1. can’t afford him, and 2. Are too caught up on “9th overall selection 2 years ago” just like they did with Griffin Reinhart in 2015.
Alright, so outline why this trade and Savoie is equivalent to one of the worst trades the Oilers have made.

I’m not hearing any real argument yet. Seems to me that Savoie has progressed as planned and is 20 years old.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If this is how oilers fans feel about McLeod wait till they see Jeff skinner play hockey
i think Skinner is the opposite of McLeod.
McLeod does everything but couldn't score even if net was soccer size.
Skinner may not do much else but can score.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This is a pretty decent trade for Buffalo. I think the bigger issue is that they used the 9th overall pick on a prospect that became redundant in their system so quickly. That’s poor planning.

Reactions: ameselare

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I watched over 100+ Oiler games this season, but please, educate me.
Sure buddy, keep telling people that. Your word means nothing.

Ryan McLeod is the more valuable piece in this deal, and if you did watch those “100 games” you so claim to have watched you would know this.

Matthew Savoies won’t help Edmonton win that game 7, but more Ryan McLeod’s will. I hate this move for Edmonton.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You’re confusing “tough to play against” for “physical.” They’re not the same thing. I can think of a dozen excellent defensive forwards who aren’t mean, but they sure control the ice. That’s what people are talking about when they say McLeod makes Buffalo harder to play against. Defensive/possession metrics.
Nobody has ever said this about McLeod while he was a member of the Oilers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If this is how oilers fans feel about McLeod wait till they see Jeff skinner play hockey
Different positions though. We’d be fine with soft in a top 6 wing position if they bring offence. Completely different story for a 3C that doesn’t bring enough offence.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
In terms of hockey sense, Mikey McLeod was actually an excellent 2/3C for the Devils this year. One of their most important players after Hughes, Hamilton, and Hischier (for a while) went down. He obviously has no common sense, but if we're talking hockey, then he was more than fine.

Michael was certainly better than Ryan when I watched them in their OHL days. They've always struck me as players who rely entirely on their skating, which degrades quickly with age/injury.

Reactions: ameselare

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
No, it's because he is currently one of the most ineffective players on the team. He couldn't perform as good as Janmark or Connor Brown. They had to get players to replace him because he is not very good.
He brings size and Speed to the lineup, that’s what you need more of in the playoffs, not less.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad