Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Don't know much about Matt Savoie except he was a 9th overall pick a few years ago and is trending "Decently" Ryan McLeod on the other hand should get more of an opportunity in Buffalo, and honestly played well in the playoffs for the oilers.
Also, Benson McLeod - Zucker line is gonna be fun af together.
Right now I would say it's a win "On paper" for Edmonton based on reactions and draft position, but I like this for buffalo also.

Nice trade for both teams.

No he didn’t. He had 4 points, made a lot of brutal defensive zone mistakes, and was even healthy scratched

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Even if Savoie was a bust, I wouldn’t be mad. McLeod is best used as a 3rd line winger IMO. He’s too weak to be a centre long term

Reactions: Macheteops

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He has kind of stunk on larger stages and dominated junior as 20-year-old. Not saying he doesn't have upside but I wouldn't get carried away with his junior year. If his game dominates in the AHL, then it is clear W for Oilers.
I'm not sure why you guys are using his age when it comes to a negative this past season.

He was injured for the first half when he was 19, then absolutely dominated the 2nd half as a 20 year old.

The fact he was able to put up the numbers he did after missing that amount of time is crazy

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think that size is what scares Buffalo about Savoie, especially in regards to his potential at actually being a center. If you think that teams like Florida are the future and you see Savoie as a chip to give you a large, cost-controlled piece down the middle (McLeod is 6'3"/188), I get this trade. I just think that it could be really short-sighted on Buffalo's end.
THe trade is acrual really stupid unless Buffalo suddwnly saw something, limited developement or awful defence with limited hockeysense or something. From what I recall, savoie was THE thing as a 14 year old.

SIze doesnt matter if you got talent. Something must been seen, or they really need PK abillity, and a player that doesnt takws penalties. or such..

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
you either think the Buffalo GM is the biggest idiot in the world. Or they know Savoie isn't that great and hasn't lived up to his hype. If he was so good he wouldn't be in the trade.
BUF is a team that has a bunch of quality prospects coming up at the same time. You just can't break that many rookies young guns altogether. This gives the team someone a little older that fits the current roster better.

You can't have all young skill players on the team. BUF traded skill for a defensively responsible young RH center

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
That's a terrible argument, since he was injured for the early parts of the season.

If anything, it's more impressive that he had that kind of season after missing a good chunk early on

He's always injured, seriously. He's just too small. He's not a center in the NHL, and I don't know if he has what it takes to be a top 6 winger. He needed to show a lot after he was drafted, and he has continued to always be hurt and not really show anything different than his draft year.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He has kind of stunk on larger stages and dominated junior as 20-year-old. Not saying he doesn't have upside but I wouldn't get carried away with his junior year. If his game dominates in the AHL, then it is clear W for Oilers.
True, but why not use him in a package for someone like a konecny then?

This move just confuses me because it seems like a waste of current value, whether savoie reaches it or not, his current value is wayyyy higher than mcleod’s

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
You said he had no hands. That’s wrong. He has slick hands to go along with his elite speed. He also plays a good defensively responsible game. Only some offence though.

No trading him for a 4th would have been one of the dumbest trades ever. Which is why the Oilers sought to find true value and got a Savoie instead.

Sick hands? There isn't a forward on the Oilers that had more plays die on their stick than Ryan Mcleod. Guy went on like a 2 week heater while out there with Drai and Foegele in December, otherwise nothing else. Guy had 1 goal in the final 20 games of the regular season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
How are people this shocked about a big return for a center after seeing massive contracts for centers and massive trade returns for centers.

Mcleod was 100% worth a 1st++.

25, excellent defensively and on the kill, one of the better skaters in the league. quality 3Cs are a rare commodity

He wasn't a #3 C though, like at all. He played on the wing the vast majority of the year and never really looked good at C.

I like McLeod, just to be clear, more than more Oilers fans I would argue. But he is best utilized as a winger, like its not even close.

Reactions: Macheteops

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Don't know much about Matt Savoie except he was a 9th overall pick a few years ago and is trending "Decently" Ryan McLeod on the other hand should get more of an opportunity in Buffalo, and honestly played well in the playoffs for the oilers.
Also, Benson McLeod - Zucker line is gonna be fun af together.
Right now I would say it's a win "On paper" for Edmonton based on reactions and draft position, but I like this for buffalo also.

Nice trade for both teams.
Why did he get healthy scratched then? And only out up 4 points?

Reactions: Oilhawks

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton getting ready for Draisaitl going to Chicago or Boston next offseason

Buffalo hosed

McLeod was healthy scratch at times in playoffs

Poor Sabres
it's exactly because Draisaitl isn't going anywhere that we need cheap top 6 options moving forward, and it doesn't get cheaper than an ELC.

Three full years of Savoie at $860k is a big consideration for Edmonton.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
you either think the Buffalo GM is the biggest idiot in the world. Or they know Savoie isn't that great and hasn't lived up to his hype. If he was so good he wouldn't be in the trade.
They kind of backed themselves into a corner by always picking BPA on their list, which usually turns out to be a winger. They already have Peterka, Benson, and Quinn in the NHL. Kulich and Rosen in the AHL. Ostlund coming over and just drafted Helenius.

Only so much room, and zero room for another small, skilled winger. Which in retrospect, you question that Savoie pick since Mintyukov and Mateychuk were still available.

Savoie probably hasn't progressed as they were hoping, but he's still a blue chip prospect.

Reactions: schuelma24

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Trades like this are always interesting because you can clearly see that there is a strong team bias in play and sometimes you can literally see fans flip flop stances, like team A has player 1 and team B has player 2. They are proposed for each other in a trade on this forum. Team A says player 1 has more value and player 2 sucks. Team B fans say the opposite. Suddenly the fans flip flop stances after a real trade

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Savoie obviously had no future in Buffalo, they already have their fill of tiny wingers.

I bet Adams was dangling Savoie in a lot of the trade talks that have been going on. And most likely what happened was that teams weren't that interested in Savoie. I know the dominant theory on here is that Adams is just an idiot. But it's more likely that Savoie's value is just very low. I've been following him as a prospect since he was 16 and he hasn't improved at a very high rate, the upside doesn't seem to be high with him.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
THe trade is acrual really stupid unless Buffalo suddwnly saw something, limited developement or awful defence with limited hockeysense or something. From what I recall, savoie was THE thing as a 14 year old.

SIze doesnt matter if you got talent. Something must been seen, or they really need PK abillity, and a player that doesnt takws penalties. or such..
Even if you did see some limitations in Savoie, I am sure other teams who scouted him 2 years ago though he was good enough to be drafted that highly. To draft him for a 4th liner is pretty crazy.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Ok so he is not a NHL player ? Weird trade then
Nah he's underselling him. McLeod is a good NHL player with absolutely elite speed, fairly responsible and very good on the PK. His IQ and hands leave much to be desired. Can be physically pushed out of games as we saw in the playoffs. But a very solid NHLer with strong advanced metrics.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sick hands? There isn't a forward on the Oilers that had more plays die on their stick than Ryan Mcleod. Guy went on like a 2 week heater while out there with Drai and Foegele in December, otherwise nothing else. Guy had 1 goal in the final 20 games of the regular season.
Slick. Yes, there was, his name was Warren Foegele. Mcleod doesn’t lose the puck with his stick handles, the puck stays on his stick like it’s stuck on with glue. Execution with his hands wasn’t his issue. There are other reasons for his mediocre offence though, his hands aren’t it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Edmonton getting ready for Draisaitl going to Chicago or Boston next offseason

Buffalo hosed

McLeod was healthy scratch at times in playoffs

Poor Sabres
If anything this makes Draisaitl more likely to stick around.
Skinner is in Edmonton for one year and will likely pump up his value and leave. This kid can be the future winger for Drai.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad