Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Please, tell us why you believe he's going to be a bust without stating his size.

I can guarantee you that you've never watched Savoie play
Well his size has a lot to do with it lol.

I watched him plenty in his draft year. He played like a junior player. Guys who play a junior style game don't work at the NHL level unless they are the most skilled guy on the ice, and there are more skilled players in the NHL than Savoie.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Oof. Sorry about your GM Buffalo fans. This is perhaps the most lopsided trade I've seen. That's pretty painful.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I get Savoie being excess and Buffalo and I don’t undervalue a really good 3C but cmon man, McLeod is so f***ing soft. Literal pace merchant. Sabres have not gotten harder to play against with this deal.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Ceci trade probably inbound. Oilers are like 350,000 over the cap. Broberg and Holloway are needing contracts. So if ceci is traded, that's 3.25 million off the books leaving 2.8 ish to sign those two. Not sure if it's enough but we shall see.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Mcleod is all speed nothing else. He would be a 4th liner/pressbox guy on a lot of NHL teams. He's soft + no hands. He's like a welfare version of Todd Marchant.
This is not accurate, but whatever. Very fast, good pk, good at the dot. Doesn't like contact. Limited offensive ability.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Savoie missed his window with the Sabres. Good luck to him in Edmonton, though I think he probably needs a year in the AHL before he sees an NHL roster.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Well his size has a lot to do with it lol.

I watched him plenty in his draft year. He played like a junior player. Guys who play a junior style game don't work at the NHL level unless they are the most skilled guy on the ice, and there are more skilled players in the NHL than Savoie.
Dude, I get it that you hate Edmonton but good grief.

"He plays like a junior player", that might be one of the worst arguments I've seen on here

spfan

May 4, 2009
Needed for the Sabres Savoie is a bit redundant in Buffalo. His D+2 was fine.

You’ve got Benson Kulich and apparently sabres think higher of Rosen. Not to mention a slew of others. This fills a huge need for the Sabres.
Still a big downgrade in talent. It's like a worse version of Hall for Larsson.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is Savoie the 2nd coming of Gretzky to people out west? This is so confusing to me. He’s very possibly the 3rd best winger we’ve drafted since 2022. 5th best since 2020.

He’s a good player, sure. But he’s a small winger and has durability concerns.
Well he was the best WHL player his draft year and was followed closely.
Size is indeed an issue but you can't deny the hype based on what he did prior to turning pro.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When do contenders ever trade good players at such a low salary for a prospect?

That should tell you all you need to know about what McLeod is

Reactions: Oilhawks

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
McLeod snarl?

grr-growling.gif

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
McLeod is one of those players that he comes off the ice out of breath and sweating after a shift and u wonder what he even accomplished out there haha

spfan

May 4, 2009
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
Big downgrade in talent. I would want a Lundell type of Center for Savoie.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's getting increasingly rarer and rarer. And there are super skilled guys who can't even crack an NHL lineup because they're lacking in other areas of the game. Basically skill isn't hard to come by now, what teams want are complete package players

That's not it. He's scared of contact.

That can change, though. McLeod still has the makings of a solid NHLer, but he needs to get past that mental block. A trade may be what was needed (kind of like Andrew Cogliano way back when.)
He's skinny as hell gos flying when he does get hit --no wonder he doesn't play physical

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Very tall task. I think he could do it on a team like Edmonton though, out him on a line with Draisaitl and he's probably got enough skill to keep up. I doubt he has much success on a team where he doesn't have a HHOFer driving the offense on his line though.
Well then that's a perfect trade for Edmonton, Buffalo, and Savoie. I bet it's a perfect trade for McLeod too, who should get more minutes

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Been a fan of Clouder since the AHL days. Sad to see him go. He still has 2C upside and definitely is an NHLer

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Don't know much about Matt Savoie except he was a 9th overall pick a few years ago and is trending "Decently" Ryan McLeod on the other hand should get more of an opportunity in Buffalo, and honestly played well in the playoffs for the oilers.
Also, Benson McLeod - Zucker line is gonna be fun af together.
Right now I would say it's a win "On paper" for Edmonton based on reactions and draft position, but I like this for buffalo also.

Nice trade for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad