Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Interesting trade. Savoie is definitely higher value, but whether he can make it in the NHL is a risk that Buffalo apparently didn't want to take.
Based on his prospect thread, seems like people thought his skills may not translate to a top 6 role and he isn’t suited for a bottom 6 role.

Edmonton clears some cap while getting a potentially good prospect while Buffalo gets someone who can play 3C.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He is good. Just doesn’t bring enough physicality. He’s a good player though. Not surprising to me at all that he has value in this League, and this trade confirms that.
Making a trade with the worse ran tram in the league doesn’t confirm anything

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Whoever is making the trades and signing for Edmonton needs to stay..we don't want any other GM

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It's funny how hockey fans seem to have an obsession with small undersized players and call NHL team's idiots for passing on those players, and yet the only team that consistently drafts those types of players is Buffalo, who is still a terrible team every season.

There are great teams that do this, too...the Carolina Hurricanes and the Dallas Stars. If they worried so much about size, Seth Jarvis would not be a Cane today and Logan Stankoven would not be a Star today.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Umm...have you seen McLeod play? Skates like the wind but avoids contact like the plague. Plays with whatever the opposite of "snarl" is.
I confused some of his traits with that boy from NJD.

Reactions: TB12

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
really confused as to why Oilers fans are hating on McLeod

Sabres fans...he's a great player and while it seems like an overpay, he fills your needs very well and guarantee you'll love the player and the person that he is. take good care of him
Not hating but McLeod is a pretty ineffective most oft he time. The trade is quite baffling.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
really confused as to why Oilers fans are hating on McLeod

Sabres fans...he's a great player and while it seems like an overpay, he fills your needs very well and guarantee you'll love the player and the person that he is. take good care of him
Hate is a strong word. He has struggled a lot to find his footing moving from the third line to playing with draisaitl to the fourth line. And in the playoffs he’s been invisible. Very fast. Has potential, but edm needs cap space so this wasn’t shocking. What is surprising is what Buffalo gave up to get him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wouldn't trade a 1st for McLeod. he regularly goes 10-15 games with doing almost nothing offensively. He can skate and not much else.

If anyone posted yesterday a trade proposal that the Oilers should get Matt Savoie for Ryan McLeod, they would have been torched non-stop on here.
And if someone had posted a 1st for Mcleod I would have said no, knowing Mcleod’s game and value.

So a recently drafted higher end 1st round prospect tracks.

Mcleod’s offence is mediocre. But his speed and 2 way game makes him a legit NHLer. The Sabres got a piece that will be with them for next decade. Oilers got a great prospect, but there’s question marks with any prospect.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
My first reaction : Wait I thought Carter Savoie was Oilers property.

Second reaction : Holy s*** that's Matt Savoie, the guy who was over 2 PPG in the WHL

Third reaction : That kindof explains why the Sabres are having issues since Assassins Creed 2 was released

Fourth reaction : Don't tell me McGoarty is worth a mid first and a roster player.

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
By the numbers I can understand why a team might trade for McLeod. Analytics are all good. Unfortunately he's also maybe the softest player in the league.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's funny how hockey fans seem to have an obsession with small undersized players and call NHL team's idiots for passing on those players, and yet the only team that consistently drafts those types of players is Buffalo, who is still a terrible team every season.
Undersized players can be valuable but I just don’t think you can justify drafting them highly unless they’re clearly BPA where they’re being taken. Benson and Kulich are examples of players I would have confidently drafted in Buffalo’s position for what they are. Savoie… imagine Buffalo with Mintyukov instead. Isak Rosen was not a good pick.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad