Around the League Thread | Pre-Season Approaches

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
While pre-game and half time for NFL broadcasts are much better the game itself is often dreadfully boring. Sure it's much better football in terms of athleticism and skill compared to the CFL but the CFL is a better viewing experience. IMO. Pretty much everyone I know down here watches the NFL to see how much they are going to owe their bookie at the end of the day. They aren't really fans of the sport.
As an avid NFL fan, the main reason to watch NFL over CFL is continuity of the players (for the good teams). The ambiance of the fan noise. The sound is the most drastic difference you notice on TV. 70K full stadium vs about 25-30K for most clubs in the CFL.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Neely is an idiot because he won't just give the guy a blank cheque....... yeah ok. Cam just stepped on the gas. One would think he'd have a bit of street cred in Beantown. Really weird guy to rail on IMHO.

Well the Bruins did trade Linus Ullmark before locking in Swayman or having a deal in place which it turns out probably wasn't the best move right?
f*** Jack Gordon and Tom Watt and whoever didn't notice Barry Pederson had a tumor the size of a grapefruit remove from his arm.
Pederson also had a full season back in boston from that but Neely was more interested in the Mountain shadow Inn than making the elap in Vancouver but he was a young guy so it could have been a lack of leadership in the room as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man, this is apparently the best PBP/commentary the US national broadcaster has to offer? It is awful.

Rasmus Dahlin looks outstanding.

This game looks so loose when you're used to watching a Rick Tocchet game, even played by our depth players.
Dahlin looked good and the whole Markstrom supersave summed up the game for me but I was napping and only watched the first period.

Buffalo needs to stop finding ways to lose....

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

No Canucks talk so I figured I'd post this here. Halford & Brough's interview with Seravalli.

Golden Knights:
-can't get into the details
-Lehner was unable to come to training camp for his medical
-because Lehner didn't show up, they were able to terminate his contract
-was told that both sides agreed this is non-precedent setting

Pre-Season Changes:
-if they shorten the pre-season then that revenue needs to be replaced
-ultimately, probably starting in 2026, move to 4 pre-season games and 84 game regular season
-Canucks didn't play Miller in pre-season because they didn't want to risk his health

Senators:
-feels like a different training camp
-Travis Green is putting them through their paces
-thinks the Sabres are ahead of the Senators

Swayman:
-two sides remain in cordial communication
-heat has been turned up on Swayman
-not insanely far apart and there is a path to get a deal done

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
IMO players should say no to more regular season games. Why put in more work when even with a drop down to 4 PS games, the vets still just play their 3 games or so to get ready. Why add 2 more games in RS to offset that revenue?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The problem isn't the number of preseason games, it's the length of the preseason.

Why the f*** are we in a stretch where we play 1 game in 9 days before the start of the season? Why did we just have a 4-day break in the middle of preseason?

6 games in 8 or 9 days and done is totally feasible with half-rosters playing. But for some reason the league makes it 15 days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad