Budaj and Moen

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
All our wing depth is on the Left, going right down the minors, really. If we could find a partner with the opposite problem maybe we could move Moen for a similarly overpaid rw who's good defensively and a good team guy. Can't think of an org in that particular situation offhand, but they could be out there.

Otherwise hang on to him. He's still really hard to play against on a bottom line and strong on the PK. Great character guy too.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Moen, need to be moved but we can be patient until the deadline.

Budaj,
since both Budaj and Tokarski need to clear waivers you have to trade one player ASAP. Even if it for a 7th round pick. If you go with age maybe Budaj could be the odd man out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Moen, need to be moved but we can be patient until the deadline.

Budaj,
since both Budaj and Tokarski need to clear waivers you have to trade one player ASAP. Even if it for a 7th round pick. If you go with age maybe Budaj could be the odd man out.

The urgency of moving both Moen and Budaj, will probably depend on how much the Habs may need cap space, after the Subban and Eller contracts are signed, assuming they are looking to add more salary via the trade route to address further needs.

And in Moen's case, it's whether he is healthy enough not to scare off a potential suitor, since his NTC has now expired.

Budaj's relationship with Price and his "great guy in the room" rep, may yet save his hyde.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Why?

Weise Prust Bournival and Malhotra can patrol the 4th line. If you can move Moen, may as well do it, ideally getting a pick back.

Wasn't Manny brought in as a centre? He was supposedly according to this board lauded as our saviour in the face off dot not exactly a replacement for Moen. Prust will probably play 3rd line min (unless he gets his shoulder fixed) they will be minimal. Bourny as per MTs modus operandi will sit in the press box most nights. I think Weise and Moen platoon in and out and Weise may play up on the third if Prust can't go.

TassieHab

May 3, 2013
Hobart
Pretty happy with our depth atm. If we get to the deadline and MB wants to make a move then sure, look at freeing up space by trading Moen. But till then, injuries happen and I don't think there is much point in trading for the sake of freeing up cap space that we won't be using, (unless we get a good pick for him, which I would say is unlikely) I would much rather the squad depth.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Wasn't Manny brought in as a centre? He was supposedly according to this board lauded as our saviour in the face off dot not exactly a replacement for Moen. Prust will probably play 3rd line min (unless he gets his shoulder fixed) they will be minimal. Bourny as per MTs modus operandi will sit in the press box most nights. I think Weise and Moen platoon in and out and Weise may play up on the third if Prust can't go.

It's curious after Prust's second season with obvious shoulder problems that surgery didn't appear to be the best option.

I'd personally rather see Bournival on the third line.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Habs really only have 22 roster players signed, including Moen and 2 goalies, and tons of extra cap space, so there is really no reason whatsoever to do anything with Moen right now. He starts the season as a 4th or 5th liner for us, no harm whatsoever. If he's ever going to have any market value, it will be later in the season, not sooner.

The Habs think Tokarski is better than Budaj, based on the playoffs. They probably hoped they could deal Budaj in the summer, but that ship seems to have sailed as all teams have their goaltending set up now. You just ride that one out. Set up a battle in training camp. Waive somebody (almost certainly Budaj) on October 1st if no trade market has materialized. No biggie. If there's no trade market, it's also unlikely there'd be a waiver claim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad