Confirmed with Link: Buchnevich signs extension with the Blues (6 years, $8M AAV; begins 2025-26)

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Eh, I am very skeptical of the Blues long term plan and ambitions but I think you’re overstating how difficult it is for a team to make the NHL playoffs. Outside of maybe 5 teams in the league any roster is a flukey PDO fueled couple months away from making the postseason. I agree that it’s not likely this roster makes the playoffs, but saying they “can’t” is extreme.
"Extreme"... alright...

Let me put it another way:

How much has the team improved in the offseason that we can say, at this point, that they could make the playoffs based on the roster alone? They haven't.

Sure, they /could/ make the playoffs if other team absolutely shit the bed at the wrong time or if we have a player have an insane year and help carry the team there, but these are situations that are in spite of the team's construction, not because of it. And I don't count on those things.

This team has a habit of vanishing for entire periods of games and I've seen nothing that convinces me that it won't continue. I'm sorry if this bothers people for me saying this, but it's the truth and as much as you may hate it, you can't say I don't have a point. I personally don't see this team making the playoffs and I think that's an absolutely fair and credible stance given the last two seasons and the upcoming one with this roster.

This is all why I call 2019 a wonderful fluke. It wasn't some battleplan that Army came up with, everything went right, teams got injured or didn't have the drive we had, and we hit them all at the right times, we allowed a ROOKIE netminder to play in the playoffs which when you think about it, is pretty damn insane and JayBo went from looking washed up to getting a second wind that is ridiculously underrated. It was a season that a hand goal counted and we turned around and vaporized the Sharks in glorious fking fashion, so if you don't believe in flukes, explain that one.

You can't plan any of that, ever, so I give Army his due because the group he brought in worked and sometimes that's all the credit he will ever need from me. But to sit here and think that Army thinks this team, built right now the way it is, can make the playoffs, especially while other teams have upgraded, and/or think that the Blues are anything of a contender, now THAT is extreme.

Feel free to fight me.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I’m not sure you’re paying Buch to be that guy when we’re in our next perceived window.

You’re paying him to help create a culture right now and not send Kyrou/Thomas through a boat load of meaningless hockey while they’re still in a development window.

I too have the concern of how we can acquire/add a 1D with this strategy. But all we’re really counting on from this forward group of prospects is 2 to be top 6 players. 8m is far from crippling, like Steens contract was. If we have to have Buch a veteran with a history of being a fantastic 200 foot player on our 3rd line in 4-5 years at around presumably 8 or less percent of the cap, it would take multiple bad moves for that to completely hinder us, or other guys not stepping up and into roles in which we need them to.

The only veteran contacts we will have in 4 years will be Schenn expiring, Parayko and Buch. And that will be for about 21m. If we can’t competently have 4 or 5 bridge deals or ELCs scattered in there with the amount of draft capital we’ve had over the last couple of years, I think our development program is more of a failure than the contracts we’ve handed out.

If they are just top 6 players we won't be contenders. We need bonafide top line talent from our prospect group. If we're going into the playoffs with Dvorsky at Schenn's level during the cup win and Snuggerud at Perron's we won't be contenders. Our current forward group is not at the quality that 2 top 6ers makes us contenders, even if we did rebuild the defense.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
"Extreme"... alright...

Let me put it another way:

How much has the team improved in the offseason that we can say, at this point, that they could make the playoffs based on the roster alone? They haven't.

Sure, they /could/ make the playoffs if other team absolutely shit the bed at the wrong time or if we have a player have an insane year and help carry the team there, but these are situations that are in spite of the team's construction, not because of it. And I don't count on those things.

This team has a habit of vanishing for entire periods of games and I've seen nothing that convinces me that it won't continue. I'm sorry if this bothers people for me saying this, but it's the truth and as much as you may hate it, you can't say I don't have a point. I personally don't see this team making the playoffs and I think that's an absolutely fair and credible stance given the last two seasons and the upcoming one with this roster.

This is all why I call 2019 a wonderful fluke. It wasn't some battleplan that Army came up with, everything went right, teams got injured or didn't have the drive we had, and we hit them all at the right times, we allowed a ROOKIE netminder to play in the playoffs which when you think about it, is pretty damn insane and JayBo went from looking washed up to getting a second wind that is ridiculously underrated. It was a season that a hand goal counted and we turned around and vaporized the Sharks in glorious fking fashion, so if you don't believe in flukes, explain that one.

You can't plan any of that, ever, so I give Army his due because the group he brought in worked and sometimes that's all the credit he will ever need from me. But to sit here and think that Army thinks this team, built right now the way it is, can make the playoffs, especially while other teams have upgraded, and/or think that the Blues are anything of a contender, now THAT is extreme.

Feel free to fight me.
To be clear, I don’t think much of this roster nor do I agree with the way they’ve chosen to go about rebuilding the team. I think we largely agree. I just think you’re overstating the difficulty of making the NHL playoffs where bad/middling teams make the postseason every year. Do I think it’s the most likely outcome for this group? Not really. But, would I be stunned if they make the playoffs and are cannon fodder in the first round? Not at all.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If they are just top 6 players we won't be contenders. We need bonafide top line talent from our prospect group. If we're going into the playoffs with Dvorsky at Schenn's level during the cup win and Snuggerud at Perron's we won't be contenders. Our current forward group is not at the quality that 2 top 6ers makes us contenders, even if we did rebuild the defense.

I think it’s really hard to tell what guys who haven’t been in that position yet are going to be capable of doing.

Thomas, buch Kyrou formed a pretty good top line last year. Mind you that was with a pretty sub par group of puck movers from the back end

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think it’s really hard to tell what guys who haven’t been in that position yet are going to be capable of doing.

Thomas, buch Kyrou formed a pretty good top line last year. Mind you that was with a pretty sub par group of puck movers from the back end
Agreed but that’s only 3 of 6. We still need another 3 who can help us crank the dial up.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Rebuilding the blueline would do wonders for this team and should be the priority but I get the feeling that Army thinks the blueline is good enough to compete.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I’m not sure you’re paying Buch to be that guy when we’re in our next perceived window.

You’re paying him to help create a culture right now and not send Kyrou/Thomas through a boat load of meaningless hockey while they’re still in a development window.

I too have the concern of how we can acquire/add a 1D with this strategy. But all we’re really counting on from this forward group of prospects is 2 to be top 6 players. 8m is far from crippling, like Steens contract was. If we have to have Buch a veteran with a history of being a fantastic 200 foot player on our 3rd line in 4-5 years at around presumably 8 or less percent of the cap, it would take multiple bad moves for that to completely hinder us, or other guys not stepping up and into roles in which we need them to.

The only veteran contacts we will have in 4 years will be Schenn expiring, Parayko and Buch. And that will be for about 21m. If we can’t competently have 4 or 5 bridge deals or ELCs scattered in there with the amount of draft capital we’ve had over the last couple of years, I think our development program is more of a failure than the contracts we’ve handed out.
To be clear, I think Buch is currently in that 2A category. And as you've said, by the time we are competing, he may well be in that 2B category as a 3rd liner.

I agree with you that Buch could have a similar trajectory to Steen in terms of their role.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’ve said this before and I think it’s true… the NHL doesn’t have any powerhouse teams. If the Blues can add a #1 LD and a #2 C in the next 2 years, and if the youngsters progress, We could easily be in contention. I’m not saying that’s easy, buts not out of the question.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I’ve said this before and I think it’s true… the NHL doesn’t have any powerhouse teams. If the Blues can add a #1 LD and a #2 C in the next 2 years, and if the youngsters progress, We could easily be in contention. I’m not saying that’s easy, buts not out of the question.

A LOT changes in a few years in the league. Imagine describing the Cup team to a fan two or three years prior.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Rebuilding the blueline would do wonders for this team and should be the priority but I get the feeling that Army thinks the blueline is good enough to compete.
What makes you say that? Everything I have read indicates that he has been trying to improve blueline, both short and longterm, with mixed success so far. He isn't going to just say "our D sucks so we can't make playoffs", but I haven't seen anything that endorses the current state of the D (other than some comments on Parayko) from him. If we can see that our D isn't up to par, why don't you think that our GM does?

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018

I think next year will be the big off-season for the Blues for stuff like that.

Krug, Leddy, Faulk, & Saad all go from NTC to M-NTC. Faksa & Kapanen will be gone. It will open up some more spots and cap space.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
To be clear, I think Buch is currently in that 2A category. And as you've said, by the time we are competing, he may well be in that 2B category as a 3rd liner.

I agree with you that Buch could have a similar trajectory to Steen in terms of their role.

I think it’s easy on paper to overlook what the “old” guys offer. Buch is a great player, and seems to be a great guy in the locker room who wants to win. I’m glad we’re keeping him around in this transitional phase. I don’t know if we’ll be the old heavy game Blues. But I think Buch, Sunny and Steen are great guys for the young guys to lean on in terms of how to be pros.

Reactions: Blueston

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
What makes you say that? Everything I have read indicates that he has been trying to improve blueline, both short and longterm, with mixed success so far. He isn't going to just say "our D sucks so we can't make playoffs", but I haven't seen anything that endorses the current state of the D (other than some comments on Parayko) from him. If we can see that our D isn't up to par, why don't you think that our GM does?
He gave all our top 4 Dmen on the team full NTCs.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dont you guys think there is almost 2mill.$ too much on aav?

I love the city of St. Louis (well, the suburbs), but it’s not like players are beating our door down to come here, so you sometimes have to overpay to get players. It’s just reality.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Dont you guys think there is almost 2mill.$ too much on aav?
I think its sound money for a sound player. You know your guy is good when every other fanbase was drooling like f-k when they thought he might be available. It's far better money spent than on folks like Krug, who we beat for the Cup and then decided since we can beat him, he can join us lol. Someone needs to explain that expression better to Army, I guess :).

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Steen? Love the guy but he was a 4th liner who could hop up to the 3rd line when needed. He doesn't even register in terms of individual importance. That 4th line was great and a pain to play against, but Steen was just a part of a bigger whole. He was not taking over games almost single-handedly in the way that guys like Pietrangelo, O'Reilly, and at times Schwartz, Tarasenko and Binnington were. In terms of skaters, in order of importance it looks like this:

1A - Pietrangelo
1B - O'Reilly
2A - Parayko/Bouwmeester/Tarasenko/Schwartz
2B - Perron/Schenn

Pietrangelo and O'Reilly were absolutely the two pillars that that team was built around. There's a clear gap between them and the next group. Those two were out there for just about every important situation, offensively or defensively, powerplay, penalty kill, you name it. They were clutch, they elevated their games in big moments and took over games/series. O'Reilly got better and better as the playoffs went on, but he absolutely dominated against Boston with 9 points in 7 games, and a goal in each of the last four games (5 total) while playing stellar defensively. He outplayed HOF perennial Selke winner Bergeron in what was a career year for him.

Games 4-7 of the Final:
O'Reilly: 5G, 2A, 7PTS, +7
Bergeron: 0G, 1A, 1PTS, -2

That's the kind of player you build around.
Steen's contract was signed when he was a key cog.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I love the city of St. Louis (well, the suburbs), but it’s not like players are beating our door down to come here, so you sometimes have to overpay to get players. It’s just reality.
Why would you say we overpaid? Buch’s contract compares favorably to Guentzel’s, and Buch’s deal doesn’t include any sort of NMC or bonuses(nearly 85% of Guentzel’s contract is signing bonuses)

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad