OT: Buccaneers, Rays & Other Tampa Bay Sports Teams

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What do you think the odds are that the Rays can get that new ballpark of theirs to accommodate the Rowdies? The Al Lang stadium expansion seems about as dead in the water as it can be. It might be crazy enough to work and get MLS to the Bay Area.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What do you think the odds are that the Rays can get that new ballpark of theirs to accommodate the Rowdies? The Al Lang stadium expansion seems about as dead in the water as it can be. It might be crazy enough to work and get MLS to the Bay Area.
Pretty much no shot.

They don't really build stadiums like that much anymore.

Inter&Co Stadium in Orlando cost $155 million to build ten years ago, so they're relatively inexpensive.

Chase Stadium in Miami cost $60 million in 2019.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Fitting a soccer field inside a baseball one is pretty ugly, cramped for playing, and results in terrible viewing angles. Plus playing on artificial turf is another negative. The only reason Al Lang works is because fortunately the original stands were built at a right angle and they were able to tear down some of the fencing and didn't have to worry about the mound and base paths since it's no longer used for baseball.

The Glazers just need to stop being idiots and support soccer at home in Ray Jay instead of running Manchester United into the ground. They would've made so much money right now if they had jumped in to save the Mutiny on the cheap with MLS franchises now exploding in value to get in.

1721828233999.jpeg

vs.

1721828384972.jpeg

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Pretty much no shot.

They don't really build stadiums like that much anymore.

Inter&Co Stadium in Orlando cost $155 million to build ten years ago, so they're relatively inexpensive.

Chase Stadium in Miami cost $60 million in 2019.
I was just more talking about if the Rays could configure their new outfield as such that they could fit in a soccer field on off days. But I digress. I don't think this Al Lang renovation is getting done any time soon and its not gonna get a MLS team. At this point I would be content if they built their own Chase Stadium/BMO on the graveyard of the old One Buc Place that's right next to the new one. That or Ybor. You could no joke build a stadium that holds 30,000 people in either of those places and it would sell out every game.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I was just more talking about if the Rays could configure their new outfield as such that they could fit in a soccer field on off days. But I digress. I don't think this Al Lang renovation is getting done any time soon and its not gonna get a MLS team. At this point I would be content if they built their own Chase Stadium/BMO on the graveyard of the old One Buc Place that's right next to the new one. That or Ybor. You could no joke build a stadium that holds 30,000 people in either of those places and it would sell out every game.
I think I understood what you meant. I gave some pricing comparables because the cost to just build their own stadium should be relatively low for a prospective MLS owner.

NYCFC and the NY Yankees share a building, but that's the only MLB/MLS combo I know of. NFL and MLS together are much more frequent.

The experience has to get compromised somewhere, and that's why multipurpose outdoor stadiums have fallen out of favor.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Not that the poorly run and managed Rays were ever doing anything anyway, but sure, go-ahead and trade one of your few big bats when you still ha e an outside shot at a wild card spot....And they didn't even get one of Seattle's better prospects from what I've seen. Seems par for the course though for them.

Reactions: Hoek and DMB06

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I am so sick of this shit. Someone buy the f***ing team. I can't even be happy the stadium saga is over because then we have to remind ourselves we're a poverty franchise and it's been too long since we dumped a good player.

I give Eflin between 24 and 72 hours before he's shipped out too

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I am so sick of this shit. Someone buy the f***ing team. I can't even be happy the stadium saga is over because then we have to remind ourselves we're a poverty franchise and it's been too long since we dumped a good player.

I give Eflin between 24 and 72 hours before he's shipped out too
24 and 72 hours? Seems generous. Maybe 24-72 minutes lol. What a joke this team is.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Stu is in it for the money, we all know this. Consistently trading away good players isn't good for the team, but it's great for his bank account. Stu, and the Glazer children, are some of the worst owners in all of sports. How lucky we are in the Tampa Bay area to have them both. Thank God for Vinik.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
And now it appears one of the few decent pitchers they have is gone as well, apparently for 3 minor league players who are worthless no doubt. How did this team get a new stadium deal again?? Poverty franchise in the dictionary is a picture of the Rays logo.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad