Brunner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Kinda funny, the DRW board who are the most finicky, "spoiled", group on the net sort of give Brunner a free pass. Yes he leads the NHL in shots (so I heard) but does he really deserve to play with Z and D?? Is he a game changer? Yea he's playing good hockey but given this type of opportunity is bizarre.

I'll answer my own question and say he is the best hope we have. Filppula is way stronger than the Brunner and I'd love to see him on the 1st line but Fil has his own role to play. Franzen?...yea we already know that answer. :(

Don't get me wrong, he is doing fine and is going to grow much this season. I like his personality and he gives 100%. By the 3rd game he is adapting well. But hearing our past team names thrown around, Hull, Shanahan, Yzerman,...I don't know I'm hoping he can get more physically agressive and take over like them. The puck may follow Brunner but I'd like to see a little more FIRE from a 26 year old on the wing with Dats and Zetterburg.

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
I'll answer my own question and say he is the best hope we have. Filppula is way stronger than the Brunner and I'd love to see him on the 1st line but Fil has his own role to play. Franzen?...yea we already know that answer. :(
You want all our top 3 centers on the first line? Who exactly do you except to center the second line? Helm? Abby(yikes!)?

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
Hi everyone, new swiss fan here (although not so new, more of a revival. I was a Red wing fan back in the Larionov time, he played in my team HC Lugano here in Switzerland back in '92-'93).
I'm a Brunner fan since a sick goal he scored against us in a championship game, and now I'm glad he joined Detroit this year.
To be honest I didn't expect him to already score in the third game, although playing with Z and Dat, but I know he wanted that badly. Now that he has this goal, I think we can start seeing a more complete Brunner, more dedicated to the team.
Still, I see him established in the NHL only if he steps up his game. I hope he will receive the time to do that.

Dacop

Jan 19, 2013
Hi there - as you can see, another Brunner-Supporter :D

I'm very happy to see, that Brunner is doing fine over there. If he gets some confidence, I'm sure he will be very usefull for your team.

But I also have to say, that I was a little bit disappointed by how he played defensively. Especially when I think about how bad you are rating your defence.

However I think we still have to give him a few more games to get confortable with the NA-Style.

Edit: Regarding pronunciation: It sounds much cooler for a Swiss, if he pronounces it as you do in English....

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Except that he doesn't pronounce it that way at all.

Quote:
NEIL SHEEHY
‏@ICEHockeyAgent
ICE Hockey Agency client Damien Brunner confirmed today that his name is pronounced "Bruner" as in tuner, not "Brunner" as in runner. :)
;):D

Yeah, I heard the same in some training camp interview. I think it was Helene St. James who asked that.

Go to Google translator, write "Brunner" and use that "Listen" option with Hungarian pronounsing. That's the nearest of it.

It's a German name, but it's not pronounced in German way.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Kinda funny, the DRW board who are the most finicky, "spoiled", group on the net sort of give Brunner a free pass. Yes he leads the NHL in shots (so I heard) but does he really deserve to play with Z and D?? Is he a game changer? Yea he's playing good hockey but given this type of opportunity is bizarre.

He's 5th with 15 shots, James Neal has 19th at 1st.

He's an exciting player and has a lot of opportunities, which way more than Leino + Brunnstrom have done before. That's a good sign.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
AFAIK, here in Switzerland was always called "Broonner". The "u" in brunner is like an "oo" but short, and you have to keep the nnn accentuated, longer that in runner.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
You want all our top 3 centers on the first line? Who exactly do you except to center the second line? Helm? Abby(yikes!)?

The obvious answer is to put Franzen back at center. As for wingers...

Which do you prefer?

Todd Bertuzzi
Daniel Cleary
Mikael Samuelsson
Jordin Tootoo
Patrick Eaves
Damien Brunner
Cory Emmerton
Justin Abdelkader (also an option: Abs/Emmerton center, Franzen wing)

My pick? I'd like to run Abdelkader on a line with Helm and Tootoo, but if we're running Dats/Z/Flip as a line, the ultimate result is that Franzen MUST play with Bertuzzi. He and Emmerton are really the only remaining playmakers, and at least one of the wingers would have to play that role. And if we're putting Bertuzzi and Franzen together, why not add Abdelkader to the mix and make it a second line designed for banging. After that, we're looking perhaps at lines of Brunner/Helm/Cleary, Tootoo/Emmerton/Samuelsson. Both have a winger with a good shot who loves to shoot, a gritty pesky forechecker, and a generally solid but also particularly unspectacular player who doesn't have any particular weaknesses but isn't known for being exceptional in any areas, either.

It would be an interesting lineup, and might be good for certain matchups (Franzen vs. Getzlaf/Thornton/etc. at center could be an interesting one).
Alternatively, Gustav Nyquist could play with Franzen and then Bertuzzi could be a healthy scratch where he belongs.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Franzen - Helm - Bertuzzi

Dump and chase all game, send one of the wingers with Helm into the corner, they'll get it. Then work on parking one of them in front of the net.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
The only reason he would want to be called brun-ner is because it rhymes with gunner (clearly), which is unnecessary because the Nose plays.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He actually shoots the puck. Z and Pavs had zero shots in the first game. We have far too many guys who struggle to get a quality shot on net, most of Brunner's are high quality shots. He frankly should have more than one goal and I suspect he will start to score in bunches if Pavs is moved to center. I realize Z is our captain and all but he's nowhere near the center that Datsyuk is at this point of their careers.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
I'm a big fan of the kid so far but it's apparent he has a lot of room for improvement.

For one, he is predictably pretty weak and easily knocked over/off the puck.

Then, from what I've seen, he does way too much waiting for the puck. I love that he loves to shoot, and is good at finding the "soft" spots on the ice, but he needs to be more involved in getting the puck back when the Wings don't have it. That goes for the defensive and offensive zone.

That said, he is only three games into his NHL career and I think he has a lot of potential. And, by all accounts, he has a good attitude and work ethic. I hope (and think) he'll be a much more polished player by the end of the season.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012

Then, from what I've seen, he does way too much waiting for the puck. I love that he loves to shoot, and is good at finding the "soft" spots on the ice, but he needs to be more involved in getting the puck back when the Wings don't have it. That goes for the defensive and offensive zone.

Regarding this point, I think it was because he really wanted to score a goal in the NHL. I think now he will manage to focus more on the forechecking part, too.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I'm a big fan of the kid so far but it's apparent he has a lot of room for improvement.

For one, he is predictably pretty weak and easily knocked over/off the puck.

That said, he is only three games into his NHL career and I think he has a lot of potential. And, by all accounts, he has a good attitude and work ethic. I hope (and think) he'll be a much more polished player by the end of the season.

I'm guessing that was part of Babcocks thinking by putting him with D and Z so he could concentrate on offense only.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Under the radar :

apart of the 1st game where none scored. (STL 0-6!)
Brunner scored on each game so far !!
The SO goal ... may not count statisticaly ... but it was the winning goal ! ... i count that on my book.

Not too bad for a rookie !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad