Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Foligno is one of the most respected players in the league. Here you have him and Bergeron, both part of the rare group of players who has won both the Messier Leadership and King Clancy awards for their contributions off-ice. (Others include former Bruin Jarome Iginla, Shane Doan, and Daniel Alfredsson).

I know people have been drawing the Backes comparisons but I'm not sure they are valid. Backes was a respected leader as well, but I find Foligno is a more skilled player than Backes was. Better skater, better shooter. More versatile as well. I just don't see many similarities there on-ice.
If they had signed Backes for two years under 4 mil, no one would have an issue with it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No gm on earth trades Foligno for Ritchie straight up.

But if we had Ritchie at 2m for 4 years or something most of you who dislike the Foligno deal would be fine with it.

Foligno does everything better than Ritchie,
full stop. to get the flexibility of only a two year deal, you maybe pay 1m more per. it's not the end of the world,
and you have a very easy to move contract if you want.
I doubt we'll want to move him.
I been saying on HF for 10 years the Foligno brothers should be Bruins

At 33 years old and 3.6 M excellent move for third line

Reactions: Bearclaw

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Great sign by Sweeney.

BTW....are Bruins dealing with Rask this season in the same fashion lightening dealt with Kucherov last season.......if not, why not ???

Sweeney said they'd see how things go. Swayman gives them options. He can send Swayman down for the last 10 games post deadline and bring him back for the playoffs if need be. Then he said, "but hey, Swayman might be the playing the best at that point and we don't have to do anything. Or one of them could get hurt... you never know."

Reactions: PaulD

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think Foligno comes in and works hard and helps Coyle get back his game to where it was pre injury. I’m not expecting him to score a ton. Just good hard work and kill penalties. I like the signing. Let’s just hope he’s not the 2nd line center Sweeney has in mind

Reactions: inactive user

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I don't have a problem with the player or the terms, my issue is that Foligno's cap hit (3.8) combined with Forbort's (3.0) would be $6.8 which is sufficient to address our real issue, which is lack of a #2 defenseman.

Reactions: TopCheese

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney said they'd see how things go. Swayman gives them options. He can send Swayman down for the last 10 games post deadline and bring him back for the playoffs if need be. Then he said, "but hey, Swayman might be the playing the best at that point and we don't have to do anything. Or one of them could get hurt... you never know."
Sweeney in the Globe today

“We were fortunate to bring in a goaltender who’s at a prime age, with a wealth of experience’” said Sweeney.

“We just think we where we were currently sitting with two young goaltenders, we needed to be prepared and allow Tuukka all the time he needs to get healthy.”

boom - all right there

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think Foligno comes in and works hard and helps Coyle get back his game to where it was pre injury. I’m not expecting him to score a ton. Just good hard work and kill penalties. I like the signing. Let’s just hope he’s not the 2nd line center Sweeney has in mind

Maybe

He could have a career type year playing with Hall and Smith. Possible for Haula also

For me doesnt really matter what the center does (doesnt hurt team and works hard). As long as Hall pots 30 goals and Smith at least 20

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I take a 3 years past his prime Foligno over a 30 lb overweight Ritchie.

I like this forward group.

Kind of wish we had someone else coaching them though. Bruce's stubbornness will harness them. Brad and Patrice don't have to skate together every shift etc etc.

Reactions: Troublesome 85

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

“We were fortunate to bring in a goaltender who’s at a prime age, with a wealth of experience’” said Sweeney.

“We just think we where we were currently sitting with two young goaltenders, we needed to be prepared and allow Tuukka all the time he needs to get healthy.”

boom - all right there

Swayman will win the Vezina this year and we will be fine with Ullmark as backup if the best goalie in the NHL is on an ELC for another year.

There is no room at the inn for Rask. Even fully recovered at his age he is likely #3. Hes still a great goalie who had a great career but clinging to him will be silly. Will he recover so that hes strong on the post and guys don't get easy goals if they get to chop wood for 2 seconds? The Islander goals weren't exactly soft but the ones like that are goals a young guy in his prime who isn't injured probably stops.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

boom - all right there

This is provably not true.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I take a 3 years past his prime Foligno over a 30 lb overweight Ritchie.

I like this forward group.

Kind of wish we had someone else coaching them though. Bruce's stubbornness will harness them. Brad and Patrice don't have to skate together every shift etc etc.
Until you watch him play.

Foligno is done. Cooked. He’ll PK and….yeah. He’ll PK.

I’ll take an overweight player over a guy who can’t even step on the ice or turn to back check because his back is in a blender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad