Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Hearing of the signing of Foligno made me laugh for about ooooh let's say 6 to 8 minutes.
The Leafs traded a first round pick and a prospect I do believe to get him just a few months ago which I thought was completely idiotic. (Leaf media shills thought it was great)
I like him a lot, but not give a first round pick like him a lot.

Now we scoop him up up.
Sign here.
Here's your uniform.
Have fun.

Being a Bruins fan makes me so happy I am not a Leafs fan.

Love the leafs....lol

Reactions: JoeBeef15

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I 100% get why people were against it. I get that for sure. I don't truly disagree.

I just had a slightly different take. I thought it showed character and respect from both players. I never viewed it as a retribution or sticking up for your teammate kinda fight - but more two grown men agreeing that it was the best chance to put a terrible incident behind them as they still had a game to play. Didn't work - but don't disagree with the intent. I've always like Perry and don't think the fight takes place unless he thought it was their best hope to turn the page. My take is that I respected that they tried to remind their teammates and the fans that they weren't playing on egg-shells and to get the other image out of their heads.
I understand that take as well. :) :5:

Reactions: b in vancouver

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

He works the refs eh?? lol

I see Bergy more of a quiet leader. So this could be a good thing

Bergy is more quiet, but when he talks I suspect people listen. Ovechkin stood there and let him talk to Wilson after the Carlo hit, with absolutely zero pushback lol.

But yeah, I'm sure Foligno is more vocal. Let 'em have it! He's a former captain in his own right, he might even get a letter here on occasion due to injury or illness.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I would have taken our first 2 seasons of Backes at 2/7.6

I looked at the stats to make sure I wasn't just being a baby, and their careers are pretty similar except that Backes was actually a better player and a year younger when he joined the Bruins.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Bergy is more quiet, but when he talks I suspect people listen. Ovechkin stood there and let him talk to Wilson after the Carlo hit, with absolutely zero pushback lol.

But yeah, I'm sure Foligno is more vocal. Let 'em have it! He's a former captain in his own right, he might even get a letter here on occasion due to injury or illness.

What I like about is that he was a former captain, crowds the net, goes hard to the dirty areas.... but mostly he can be a dick.
This will take the pressure off of Marchy although Marchy has been reformed a bit.

Reactions: Gee Wally

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I looked at the stats to make sure I wasn't just being a baby, and their careers are pretty similar except that Backes was actually a better player and a year younger when he joined the Bruins.

Feels like you’re being intentionally obtuse in regards to the huge difference in overall commitment (in the way of term and dollars) to force a comparison.

As the poster you responded to said, David Backes for 3.8 million AAV for two years would have been very fair based on his play and abilities. The issue was the FO gave Backes a contract that he was never going to be able to live up to given the miles on his body. I can’t say the same with Foligno.

And I am in no way asserting Nick Foligno is going to put this team over some figurative edge, but the chance of disaster is almost nil compared to when Backes signed his deal.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Two observations:

Apparently his nickname is Fliggy. lol

Why is he saying goodbye to Columbus now? And nothing for the good citizens of Toronto? I guess he never planned on sticking around Toronto that long? :laugh:

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.

Two observations:

Apparently his nickname is Fliggy. lol

Why is he saying goodbye to Columbus now? And nothing for the good citizens of Toronto? I guess he never planned on sticking around Toronto that long? :laugh:

He's saying goodbye to Columbus now because at the trade deadline it was completely unclear what direction Columbus was going to go in. There was a chance for resigning (at least from a fan perspective). With Jones wanting out and via other moves this summer, it appears that CBJ management decided to completely turn the page on the leadership group in the locker room (Jones, Savard, Foligno, and Atkinson gone).

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just from watching a few Youtube videos Foligno has a deceptive snap shot. Beats goalies clean. Even that small sample you can see he'll be one of the better shooters on the team. Granted it's a team not exactly flush with strong shooters.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Isn't Nosek a bit of a pest as well? If so, we might be on the powerplay the whole game if all 4 are going.
I think he`s a pest but not in the sense of being a yapper who gets under the skin of opponents that way. From what I watched of him a few times this year he was a guy who pissed off opposing D by using his speed and forcing them often into making a play they shouldn`t

Not much of a point producer but doesn`t have stone hands either. He`s not going to drive anyone through the glass, seems to be a guy who gets the puck back by using his speed and good positioning

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
This has to have been a panic move on Sweeney's part. There's no way you should be forking over this much money unless you know Krejci isn't coming back. Sweeney has never been this aggressive in FA since the Backes/Beleskey signings. I like Foligno but he just isn't worth this much anymore. He was not good last season and looked even worse when he arrived in Toronto. I know people say he was injured but shouldn't that be another concern? Can we be able to rely on him at this point in his career to be healthy? He's on the wrong side of 30 and plays a style that really takes a toll on your body overtime. I really hope Sweeney/Cassidy doesn't plan on making him 2C or 2RW because he's a bottom 6 player at this point in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad