Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXIV

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Is Letourneau a can't miss prospect?

I'd probably put Letourneau ahead of Merkulov too, but I can see reasons why some might have it the other way.
I would say that there are very few " can't miss" prospects that are drafted later than the top 10.
DL is at least 4 years away until we know what we have.
Let's be patient, as it is a long road to the NHL for most.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Rankings gs are supposed to be based on highest upside. So you will have to explain your criteria to me.

And he didn't surprise me that he made it out of camp. I predicted it.
I should never discount the DOM lol ... my criteria is simple. Wishful hoping. With each player success comes bruin success present and future.

Any chance a DKH joins your show? Would make for an entering session.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I should never discount the DOM lol ... my criteria is simple. Wishful hoping. With each player success comes bruin success present and future.

So, let me make sure I understand.

Hoping that a less talented player becomes more talented then the player that actually has more talent is a good thing? Wouldn't that mean that the more talented player didn't achieve his ceiling?

And it's not my show. You will have to ask Chris.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Lohrei should not be in this to me

Poitras I don’t think so either

Then it’s who would I want if I was an expansion team one pick

It’s Lysell or Letourneau

I would take Fsbs but I went to 3 of 4 DC days and Letourneau was as advertised

After that Merkulov

Then a group of 6-10

Bussi is 26 not counting.

1. Lysell
2. Letourneau
3. Merkulov
4-10 all over the place

Duran is a favorite
Farinacci I like a lot
Pelosi & groenewold
Locmelis
Kuntar
Jelvik

They could go in any order 4-10

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

sadly at 2:30 my handler (Lou) has shut me down indefinitely

You come down here for a game or visit we can go out - it’s tough to show true personality on a message board

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So, let me make sure I understand.

Hoping that a less talented player becomes more talented then the player that actually has more talent is a good thing? Wouldn't that mean that the more talented player didn't achieve his ceiling?

And it's not my show. You will have to ask Chris.
I ranked Merk and Poitras 2...3 not 2...10.

As a fan, I want to see two equally talented players.

I wasn't high on Poitras and still have some concerns however he impressed out the gate, unfortunately faded but will rebound. From what I understand, Poitras works hard at his game and plays with tremendous heart. Add his playmaking, that makes him a future star. At the same time I won't discredit Merk for his accomplishments and progression. Both players will be competing for a roster spot. Hopefully they both impress at camp and make it a difficult choice for the coaches.

I love the show...I was simply commenting it would be fun to hear from a special guest star, that is, one DKH ,the witty spirited HFboard personality. I would require DK's permission to contact Chris. But Lou is out, so that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Merkulov ahead of Poitras?

You've had something against him since his junior days.
I take part responsibility.... Blowfish and I shared a beer at a Guelph Storm game and Matty P. was cheating towards the blue line all game while in the defensive zone ...I pointed that out ... it stuck ... I'm a grade A influencer.....specifically when beer is involved :)

Watching Matty P as a Bruin (against seasoned professionals much older than him) as opposed to a Guelph Storm (against kids...I think he got bored and was experimenting his last season) converted me ...kid has uber high compete level (no quit), super active stick with defensive acumen , lack of fear of going into corners (maybe not a good thing for someone his size last year), and creative capabilities with #2C upside ...all things I'm sure you saw when scouting him for prolonged periods...hence why I'm not a scout but instead a beer drinking influencer ....Go Matty P!! (Go Merkulov as well...I want him to have a prolonged shot to see if he can elevate)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I take part responsibility.... Blowfish and I shared a beer at a Guelph Storm game and Matty P. was cheating towards the blue line all game while in the defensive zone ...I pointed that out ... it stuck ... I'm a grade A influencer.....specifically when beer is involved :)

Watching Matty P as a Bruin (against seasoned professionals much older than him) as opposed to a Guelph Storm (against kids...I think he got bored and was experimenting his last season) converted me ...kid has uber high compete level (no quit), super active stick with defensive acumen , lack of fear of going into corners (maybe not a good thing for someone his size last year), and creative capabilities with #2C upside ...all things I'm sure you saw when scouting him for prolonged periods...hence why I'm not a scout but instead a beer drinking influencer ....Go Matty P!! (Go Merkulov as well...I want him to have a prolonged shot to see if he can elevate)
I was more impressed with Spyke.

• Haha
Reactions: Guelph Bruin

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’m interested to see what merkulov can do, but it better happen soon. He turns 24 in early October.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m interested to see what merkulov can do, but it better happen soon. He turns 24 in early October.
Looks like

Zacha - LINDHOLM- Pastrnak

Marchand - COYLE- Geekie/lysell

Frederic- POITRAS- Braz/Geekie/Lys

Jones/Beech -Kastelic/Beech - Kastelic/Braz

Merkulov should get a good shot in bottom 6

Not sure if Monty likes merkulov

Last edited:

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Looks like

Zacha - LINDHOLM- Pastrnak

Marchand - COYLE- Geekie/lysell

Frederic- POITRAS- Braz/Geekie/Lys

Jones/Beech -Kastelic/Beech - Kastelic/Braz

Merkulov should get a good shot in bottom 6

Not sure if Monty likes merkulov
I really hope Merkulov is not the new Khokhlachev, the man that really never had a chance.

Merkulov this past year at age 22
67 games 30 goals 35 assists 65 points and a -2

Khokhlachev at about the same age 21
60 games 23 goals 45 assists 68 points and a +9

Not sure if the Bruins like Russians, other then Samsonov who did they really draft and develop from the USSR. . . . .

Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I really hope Merkulov is not the new Khokhlachev, the man that really never had a chance.

Merkulov this past year at age 22
67 games 30 goals 35 assists 65 points and a -2

Khokhlachev at about the same age 21
60 games 23 goals 45 assists 68 points and a +9

Not sure if the Bruins like Russians, other then Samsonov who did they really draft and develop from the USSR. . . . .
Khokhlachev stunk, no other NHL team had interest in him and there are still people crying that he never had a real chance. I guess Spooner never had a real chance either.

If Khokhlachev had minimal NHL talent I'm sure the Sharks, Ducks or Blue Jackets would have at least given him a PTO. last year

Reactions: Gordoff

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
He was 4th in league scoring that year in the AHL. (2015-2016)

I just thought that he deserved more cup of coffee in the NHL (8 games total).

I remember seeing Jimmy Hayes R.I.P. and thought he could have been another option at that time. . . . .

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I think they need to develop Merkulov at wing to get an opportunity here. I don't really understand why they are hell bent on developing him as a center...he doesn't appear like one to me, especially at the big league level. You have to have some combination of size, face-off ability, speed, or defensive acumen. He's none of those.

Not trying to be overly critical of the kid but is there any comp in the league for an undrafted middle six center like Merkulov is?

What he is, is a wicked goal scorer with a nasty shot and a lethal one-timer. I don't think he can crack the roster unless he beats out Poitras, which is a slim chance. Lindholm and Coyle are the 1 & 2 so he's kind of blocked.

I feel like his best path is a Florida version of Frank Vatrano

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think they need to develop Merkulov at wing to get an opportunity here. I don't really understand why they are hell bent on developing him as a center...he doesn't appear like one to me, especially at the big league level. You have to have some combination of size, face-off ability, speed, or defensive acumen. He's none of those.

Not trying to be overly critical of the kid but is there any comp in the league for an undrafted middle six center like Merkulov is?

What he is, is a wicked goal scorer with a nasty shot and a lethal one-timer. I don't think he can crack the roster unless he beats out Poitras, which is a slim chance. Lindholm and Coyle are the 1 & 2 so he's kind of blocked.

I feel like his best path is a Florida version of Frank Vatrano
Why don’t you think he can beat out Poitras at this point. He has a better track record in the pro’s.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why don’t you think he can beat out Poitras at this point. He has a better track record in the pro’s.

Poitras beat him out last year despite the fact that Merkulov is 3.5 years older and had a full season of pro hockey before that. And face it , it wasn't even a close competition. Poitras more than held his own at the NHL level from game 1, Merk looked overmatched in his brief stint, especially at the FO dot.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m very high on Poitras

He stands out in DC

Bigger & stronger physically

Mind gets it per Conor Ryan Boston Globe 7/2

“I needed to put on a bit of size. I came into camp last year definitely undersized. There were some bigger guys that maybe I couldn’t hold my own against as much.

So I think this year is just going in a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, kind of choose my spots a bit more- because sometimes I’d take some big hits that aren’t necessary and kind of hurt me, and maybe that’s why I didn’t get a chance to finish the season.”

Even with surgery hindering some of his offseason work, Poitras has added 8-9 pounds.

While he doesn’t profile as a bruising presence, the added weight might be the difference between a patented reverse hit and a bone-crushing slam into the boards.

“I feel a bit stronger….i want to be able to win those one -on-one battles because I’m a guy who likes to have the puck up in the zone.
So that’s kind of where it stems from.”

Fantastic

He gets it

Become a dogged player - for those who remember Greg Sheppard this what I see early on

Third line who projects higher - very competitive and smart with very high hockey IQ ~ not just survives but is feisty smart

50 points per 82 where i’m at and go from there

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I’m very high on Poitras

He stands out in DC

Bigger & stronger physically

Mind gets it per Conor Ryan Boston Globe 7/2

“I needed to put on a bit of size. I came into camp last year definitely undersized. There were some bigger guys that maybe I couldn’t hold my own against as much.

So I think this year is just going in a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, kind of choose my spots a bit more- because sometimes I’d take some big hits that aren’t necessary and kind of hurt me, and maybe that’s why I didn’t get a chance to finish the season.”

Even with surgery hindering some of his offseason work, Poitras has added 8-9 pounds.

While he doesn’t profile as a bruising presence, the added weight might be the difference between a patented reverse hit and a bone-crushing slam into the boards.

“I feel a bit stronger….i want to be able to win those one -on-one battles because I’m a guy who likes to have the puck up in the zone.
So that’s kind of where it stems from.”

Fantastic

He gets it

Become a dogged player - for those who remember Greg Sheppard this what I see early on

Third line who projects higher - very competitive and smart with very high hockey IQ ~ not just survives but is feisty smart

50 points per 82 where i’m at and go from there
Mougenel will love him in Providence
Lettieri Poitras Duran

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad