Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Huh? I didn’t mention Connor Dewar or Paul Cotter either. There are tons of guys picked after Andersson who have played NHL games. I was in no way defending the Andersson pick? I chose the three best forwards as examples, primarily because the other part of the discussion is about finding top-6 centers, and many here still list Kyrou as a centerman. Who are the top-6 centers drafted after Andersson that year?
His comment mentioned Laukko being the only "player" he then said "you have to go back to the 16 draft to find anyone that has played more than 100 NHL games. I'm not a math guy, but is it normal for none of your draft picks to hit in a 7 year span? Seriously?"

So while he said something about a C in one part... he clearly said any "player". Maybe you got confused an only saw the word center....

oh wait...

Here's what you wrote: "His whole argument was that the Bruins haven't had players play NHL games, or did you miss that?"

His whole argument was that the Bruins haven't had players play NHL games. Or did you miss that?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
His comment mentioned Laukko being the only "player" he then said "you have to go back to the 16 draft to find anyone that has played more than 100 NHL games. I'm not a math guy, but is it normal for none of your draft picks to hit in a 7 year span? Seriously?"

So while he said something about a C in one part... he clearly said any "player". Maybe you got confused an only saw the word center....

oh wait...

Here's what you wrote: "His whole argument was that the Bruins haven't had players play NHL games, or did you miss that?"

His whole argument was that the Bruins haven't had players play NHL games. Or did you miss that?
OK

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Quincy

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

How to get better prospect pool? Lose a lot and daft top ten and some nice second round picks…. Or trade away players at the deadline
His whole argument was that the Bruins haven't had players play NHL games, or did you miss that? I added some color along with the numbers.

"You have to go to the 17 draft to find a player or players who have played more than 50 games at the NHL level, and you have to go back to the 16 draft to find anyone that has played more than 100 NHL games. I'm not a math guy, but is it normal for none of your draft picks to hit in a 7 year span? Seriously?"
I think it’s pretty normal for a contending team with minimal picks.

Swayman came out of the 17 draft that’s good enough for me.

18 Lauko came out of. Another gem imo. Plays like a bruin.

19 was a pretty good weak draft class. And not a lot of impact players after Fredric. Only pinto.

20 was three years ago. And zero players taken after Lohrei are impact players so far. Are we crying about this draft year already?

21 only one player has been an impact player after Fabian lysel was picked. We crying about this draft already too?

2022 we crying about poitras already?

Why are people so hard on this teams drafting?

People who are hard on this teams make no legitimate argument. Here is a nice break down.

DAC7F267-95A0-49A1-8EE6-B5B208B5CCDB.jpeg

The Blue Jackets and the Bruins led the way by drafting the most players to get into an NHL game with 51 apiece, but the Bruins were the league’s most efficient, doing it with 78 picks to Columbus’ 89 for a 65 percent rate, a full 16 percentage points higher than the league average of 49 percent. The Bruins were also the most productive on a per pick basis, producing an average of 61 points out of every selection.

That’s from the athletic. So the same guys using the athletic to prove the bruins can’t draft aren’t looking at the right data.

Granted it’s from 2016. But the trend still continues.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
How to get better prospect pool? Lose a lot and daft top ten and some nice second round picks…. Or trade away players at the deadline

I think it’s pretty normal for a contending team with minimal picks.

Swayman came out of the 17 draft that’s good enough for me.

18 Lauko came out of. Another gem imo. Plays like a bruin.

19 was a pretty good weak draft class. And not a lot of impact players after Fredric. Only pinto.

20 was three years ago. And zero players taken after Lohrei are impact players so far. Are we crying about this draft year already?

21 only one player has been an impact player after Fabian lysel was picked. We crying about this draft already too?

2022 we crying about poitras already?

Why are people so hard on this teams drafting?

People who are hard on this teams make no legitimate argument. Here is a nice break down.

View attachment 738242
The Blue Jackets and the Bruins led the way by drafting the most players to get into an NHL game with 51 apiece, but the Bruins were the league’s most efficient, doing it with 78 picks to Columbus’ 89 for a 65 percent rate, a full 16 percentage points higher than the league average of 49 percent. The Bruins were also the most productive on a per pick basis, producing an average of 61 points out of every selection.

That’s from the athletic. So the same guys using the athletic to prove the bruins can’t draft aren’t looking at the right data.

Granted it’s from 2016. But the trend still continues.
Interesting...would like to see a more current chart.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Interesting...would like to see a more current chart.
Me too. But I went through the draft picks and I’m absolutely fine with the drafting. This isn’t a team with top 10 picks or even second rounders a lot of the times. Complaining that a guy was taken after is better is unfair. It’s impossible to fully gauge the prospects. They are not even close to being adults and have a long way to go generally before they are impact players. And the rare ones that immediately impact are in the top 10 almost always.

Maybe we should be thankful Sweeney grabbed mcavoy. Since about 10 teams missed that pick.
Or Jeremy swayman. Who looks like one of the better picks of that draft.

Now how about Fredric and Ryan Lindgren.

Or maybe debrusk and carlo?

This season looks like a season another draft pick will crack the nhl. Are we still going to complain about drafting if that happens?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Round 4,5,6 just as good as round 3!
Rounding out the numbers, assuming 736 NHL players which is the minimum

Round 3 - 62 players
Round 4 - 50 players
Round 5 - 50 players
Round 6 - 41 players
Round 7 - 20 players
Undrafted - 93 players

...making up NHL rosters.

Just going back to 2019 I would place money on the following playing in the NHL:

Round 3 - Kuntar, Harrison
Round 4 - Svedeback, Locmelis
Round 5 - Langenbrunner, Jellvik, Brunet
Round 6 - Duran
Round 7 - Gasseau, Gallagher, Edward
Undrafted - Toporowski, Merkulov, McLaughlin, Bussi, Farinacci

Too early for any of the 2023 picks.

I've said it for years: They may lack the top end talent some other teams have, but all things considered, they've done well recently considering where they are picking.

Those are my own personal projections but I'm not Cory Pronman.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Round 3 - 62 players
Round 4 - 50 players
Round 5 - 50 players
Round 6 - 41 players
Round 7 - 20 players
Undrafted - 93 players

Just going back to 2019 I would place money on the following playing in the NHL:

Round 6 - Duran

I've said it for years: They may lack the top end talent some other teams have, but all things considered, they've done well recently considering where they are picking.

Comment of the year.

Reactions: HustleB

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

oh wait...

Thats correct. Not only has Sweeney failed to find viable centers in the drafts, he’s flat out failed to find players at any position that have made even a marginal impact at the NHL level. That streak may change ultimately with some of their more recent picks breaking thru but until that happens his track record is abysmal. The last guy to even play is Lauko and like I said it’s been 7 years since they had a drafted player even play a hundred games.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Thats correct. Not only has Sweeney failed to find viable centers in the drafts, he’s flat out failed to find players at any position that have made even a marginal impact at the NHL level. That streak may change ultimately with some of their more recent picks breaking thru but until that happens his track record is abysmal. The last guy to even play is Lauko and like I said it’s been 7 years since they had a drafted player even play a hundred games.
Ummm…..have you forgot about Debrusk, Carlo, Lauzon, McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, and Swayman? Also you keep talking about the 100 game thing and yet 2-3 players from the 17 draft will hit 100 NHL games next year.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
You don't build a very good prospect pool when you don't have first round picks. It's as simple as that. We now pay the price for all the deadline deals. Next year they maybe try to free agent their way back but it'll be hard unless some players really want to be Bruins. That ship may have sailed.

The reality is very few low picks on any team make the NHL. If we actually hit on any of the 3rd and down picks we've done well.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Round 3 - 62 players
Round 4 - 50 players
Round 5 - 50 players
Round 6 - 41 players
Round 7 - 20 players
Undrafted - 93 players

Round 6 - Duran

The HF Anti Optimism Police Unit will be knocking on your door shortly

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Round 3 - 62 players
Round 4 - 50 players
Round 5 - 50 players
Round 6 - 41 players
Round 7 - 20 players
Undrafted - 93 players

Round 6 - Duran

Is your requirement to play in the NHL just hitting 1 game played? Otherwise those numbers seem fairly generous based on the ratios.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ummm…..have you forgot about Debrusk, Carlo, Lauzon, McAvoy, Frederic, Lindgren, and Swayman? Also you keep talking about the 100 game thing and yet 2-3 players from the 17 draft will hit 100 NHL games next year.
Swayman was included as he hasn't played a hundred games yet. He'll likely cross over this season, barring injury, but he's at 88 right now. And I didn't include 2016 because I was talking about the last 5 drafts since the most recent one isn't really applicable, and barely anyone across the league has made a roster from the 2022 draft as it's very early still as well. Which I mentioned before by saying their numbers may obviously change.

But don't take my word for it, go look. You can see that in the 2019 draft, only three teams had their first round pick not play at least a game. Guess who is one of the three? Of the 5 players they drafted in this draft, zero have played a game. Of their 7 picks in 2018, only Lauko has played for the team and that was for all of 23 games. In 2017, Swayman is the big winner with the aforementioned 88 games. Next closes was Studnicka, who isn't really a an NHL regular and will likely never be one. And then Urho Vaakanainen rounds out that draft class for games in the NHL with 68 games played and more played for other teams than Boston, like Studnicka. The other 5 guys? No games at all.

So like I said earlier, going back to 2017, they've basically found one NHL caliber player in Swayman and really not much else. I'm not sure how that's even something you can argue if you look at their picks.

RoundPercentage of Players to play an NHL
First94%
Second70%
Third54%
Fourth44%
Fifth34%
Sixth31%
Seventh26%

Draft YearPercentage Played in NHL

Basically, 49% of players drafted will play at least one game in the NHL. Go do your own math to see what the Bruins hit rate is. I can tell you with certainty, it's not even close to 49% in the last 6-7 years. But yeah, I'm the jerk here for pointing out how the many many misses by Sweeney in the draft is a problem.

The HF Anti Optimism Police Unit will be knocking on your door shortly
That's because it's pure speculation with zero actual evidence of even being remotely true. I respect Dom and his opinion, but given the Bruin's track record of drafting and developing, I'd say this is a 100% best case scenario and not likely.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Swayman was included as he hasn't played a hundred games yet. He'll likely cross over this season, barring injury, but he's at 88 right now. And I didn't include 2016 because I was talking about the last 5 drafts since the most recent one isn't really applicable, and barely anyone across the league has made a roster from the 2022 draft as it's very early still as well. Which I mentioned before by saying their numbers may obviously change.

But don't take my word for it, go look. You can see that in the 2019 draft, only three teams had their first round pick not play at least a game. Guess who is one of the three? Of the 5 players they drafted in this draft, zero have played a game. Of their 7 picks in 2018, only Lauko has played for the team and that was for all of 23 games. In 2017, Swayman is the big winner with the aforementioned 88 games. Next closes was Studnicka, who isn't really a an NHL regular and will likely never be one. And then Urho Vaakanainen rounds out that draft class for games in the NHL with 68 games played and more played for other teams than Boston, like Studnicka. The other 5 guys? No games at all.

So like I said earlier, going back to 2017, they've basically found one NHL caliber player in Swayman and really not much else. I'm not sure how that's even something you can argue if you look at their picks.

RoundPercentage of Players to play an NHL
First94%
Second70%
Third54%
Fourth44%
Fifth34%
Sixth31%
Seventh26%

Draft YearPercentage Played in NHL

Basically, 49% of players drafted will play at least one game in the NHL. Go do your own math to see what the Bruins hit rate is. I can tell you with certainty, it's not even close to 49% in the last 6-7 years. But yeah, I'm the jerk here for pointing out how the many many misses by Sweeney in the draft is a problem.

That's because it's pure speculation with zero actual evidence of even being remotely true. I respect Dom and his opinion, but given the Bruin's track record of drafting and developing, I'd say this is a 100% best case scenario and not likely.
Trying to think of the last player who had 1 pt in his D+3 year and go on to play 50 games in the NHL. There may be one out there somewhere, but I'd say a player with that profile making the NHL is mighty rare these days.

He did tie the Harvard 2nd string goalie for pts though.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Trashing article writers saying the prospect pool of the Bruins is not good while those same people trashing have also made predications of prospects that never came to fruition is highly comical. Also we hear well they been a contending team for awhile and so they havent picked high which is why the prospect pool is the way it is. Now that is 100% the truth of it all, it’s ok to admit that. Dont need to defend the prospect pool and trash the people reviewing as not knowledgeable. We had a bunch of contending years we have drafted low or not at all it was bound to have an effect.
Grow a pair and name names? What posters are doing this

I went back and read some of your old views/takes - f***ing embarrassing

Last edited:
  • Haha

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Grow a pair and name names? What posters are doing this

I went back and read some of your old views/takes - f***ing embarrassing
Hey look it’s Mr Knight. tell us again how great he is and how he will make the NHL. Want to talk about embarrassing. Fact is everyone makes mistakes no one is the end all be all knowledge of who shakes out at the NHL level. I thought Kalus would have been the best of the triple KKKs back in the day. I was wrong. He gave an opinion in an article which is just as fine as any poster here you included.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is your requirement to play in the NHL just hitting 1 game played? Otherwise those numbers seem fairly generous based on the ratios.
Those numbers are based off the percentages by the NHL I posted before. Their criteria, not mine. They are players that were on their teams official 23-man roster and played in at least 41 games during the season.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I just want to point out I was right about Zino...unfortunately he played on the wrong continent. I'm still disappointed nobody here noticed my "bring back Zino" protest sign home Boston game 2004.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBruins

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Hey look it’s Mr Knight. tell us again how great he is and how he will make the NHL. Want to talk about embarrassing. Fact is everyone makes mistakes no one is the end all be all knowledge of who shakes out at the NHL level. I thought Kalus would have been the best of the triple KKKs back in the day. I was wrong. He gave an opinion in an article which is just as fine as any poster here you included.
it’s better to be loving than be right

- Rebecca mom on Ted Lasso

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Those numbers are based off the percentages by the NHL I posted before. Their criteria, not mine. They are players that were on their teams official 23-man roster and played in at least 41 games during the season.
I was referring to your list of bruins prospects and making it. Based on the nhl ratios. It would make the bruins above average in that regard. so you think everyone on that list plays 41 games in a season at one point?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I was referring to your list of bruins prospects and making it. Based on the nhl ratios. It would make the bruins above average in that regard. so you think everyone on that list plays 41 games in a season at one point?
Yes I do. That's my opinion. I'm not surprised anyone would question it. That's what this is about. I'm more surprised that no one asked why I left Ryan Mast off the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad