Bruins Prospects VI - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan

Probably a better place for this.

Not surprising in the least. The Brandon Wheat Kings are owned by Kelly McCrimmon, assistant GM of the Vegas Golden Knights. The CHL import draft just finished and the Wheat Kings chose the first and sixth round selections for the Knights, thus bumping the Bruins prospect off the roster. However Bukac was selected by the the Ice Dogs of the OHL in the import draft today.

Last edited:

PatriceBergy

May 1, 2016
Boston, Ma
Personally my Top 25 looks like this:

1. Ryan Donato - W/C - I think he'll be a top 6 winger or center although I'm not sure which position he'll end up, seems like a goal scorer as well
2. Urho Vaakanainen - D - I think he'll eventually become McAvoy's partner but, he'll be one of those guys who is a top 4 dman who plays well with an elite dman (McAvoy) so he can play top 2 minutes
3. Jakub Zboril - D - I think Zboril has the potential to become a top 4 defenseman
4. Trent Frederic - C - I think he'll end up being a middle 6 center either on the 2nd or 3rd line
5. Jack Studnicka - C - I don't know what it is about Studnicka but I have a really strong feeling he's going to be great
6. JFK - C - I think he'll probably be a 3rd line center but could end up sliding up to the 2nd or down to the 4th
7. Jeremy Lauzon - D - I think he'll be a good top 6 dman who can play top 4 minutes if need be
8. Zach Senyshyn - W - Honestly I think he could be anything from a top 6 winger to a career ahler, I don't know what to think of him but I like his speed, size and scoring touch
9. Jakub Lauko - W/C - Another guy I think could find some offense and could end up being a top 6 player or could end up being a 2-way guy with great speed in the bottom 6
10. Axel Andersson - D - I think he'll be similar to lauzon in that he'll be a top 6 dman that could slide up to the top 4 if need be
11. Jeremy Swayman - G - Again like Studnicka idk what it is but I really like Swayman and I feel like he's going to be a good player, if he they develop him correctly I think he will be a starter
12. Peter Cehlarik - W - I think he's a talented winger with middle 6 potential but, I really can't picture him on the future Bruins, I think there are too many guys who have more potential than him
13. Ryan Fitzgerald - W - Bottom 6 winger maybe a 2nd liner if he can find a center he has chemistry with
14. Jesse Gabriel - W - Top 9 winger, good skilled guy but he might be in a similar situation as cehlarik where we just have too many guys more talented than him for him to have a future here
15. Zane McIntyre - G - I used to love McIntyre but now I think he could develop into a starter or he could be one of those goalies that jumps back and forth between the nhl and the ahl
16. Daniel Vladar - G - I think he can definitely develop into a solid backup but idk if he would make a good starter in the nhl
17. Oskar Steen - W - Bottom 6 winger
18. Joona Koppanen - C - Bottom 6 center but I really like Koppanen as well, his 6'5" height could make him stand out among his competition for the bottom 6
19. Curtis Hall - C - Bottom 6 center
20. Pavel Shen - W - I think he was a great pick for the Bruins in the 7th round, he's a project but he could end up in the top 6 or he could be nothing but definitely worth the risk in the 7th round
21. Emil Johansson - D - Probably a 7th dman, small chance he is a top 6
22. Wiley Sherman - D - Same as Johansson except he's 6'6" which could definitely help his case
23. Anton Blidh - W - 4th line winger
24. Cedric Pare - C - Bottom 6 center
25. Cameron Hughes - C - Bottom 6 center with a bit more offensive skill than most of his counterparts

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
My choice to make bruins playing top 2 lines either next to JT or DK.

He’s so talented. Would have stuck with bruins if it wasn’t for that knee injury against penguins. Like that he can play left or right with ease. No way bruins trading this dude.

2017-18 SEASON REVIEW: PETER CEHLARIK | Providence Bruins

I'd rather have the more proven Heinen play in the top 6 (center doesn't matter). I don't see the spot for Cehlarik right now. Maybe he impresses in camp, but he needs to beat out Donato/Bjork. Cehlarik is a very tradeable prospect.

Reactions: PatriceBergy

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'd rather have the more proven Heinen play in the top 6 (center doesn't matter). I don't see the spot for Cehlarik right now. Maybe he impresses in camp, but he needs to beat out Donato/Bjork. Cehlarik is a very tradeable prospect.

I hear you but I say those 4 will be competing for spots top 3 lines. It’s a good problem to have.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I mentioned the other day how Sweeney keeps talking about Studnicka and how he really likes his game and development. Yet again today in the press conference he referenced Studnicka more than anyone and talked him up.

Very curious to see how this all plays out. Not saying Studnicka will jump over Frederic or JFK for a spot but it’s pretty eye opening seeing Sweeney repeatedly talk about him like this. He could be a lot closer than many think.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I mentioned the other day how Sweeney keeps talking about Studnicka and how he really likes his game and development. Yet again today in the press conference he referenced Studnicka more than anyone and talked him up.

Very curious to see how this all plays out. Not saying Studnicka will jump over Frederic or JFK for a spot but it’s pretty eye opening seeing Sweeney repeatedly talk about him like this. He could be a lot closer than many think.

Not sure that means anything. Nice to hear he had a good camp. But by all accounts so did other players.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I hear you but I say those 4 will be competing for spots top 3 lines. It’s a good problem to have.

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- XXXX (Heinen)
XXXXX -- XXXX -- Backes
XXXXX -- Kuraly -- Acciari

Are the openings at the moment. Just going off no UFA signings to fill these spots:

2nd Line RW = Heinen, Donato, Bjork, Cehlarik
3rd Line LW = Heinen, Donato, Bjork, Cehlarik
3rd Line C = Heinen, Donato, JFK, Studnicka

4th Line LW = Heinen, Donato, Bjork, Cehlarik

Heinen is a lock for a spot next season. He will play in the top 9, unless traded. For the argument, lets insert him into the 2nd line RW next to Krejci (which I've highlighted with Bold). You know have 3 guys (Donato, Bjork, Cehlarik) competing for that last spot = 3L LW, unless Donato gets a serious look as 3LC. Then you'd have a situation where Bjork/Cehlarik are both competing there. This is just off what we have in the organization. Bruins seem like they want to bring it a veteran. That would all but close the door on BOTH Cehlarik/Bjork, unless they have a monster camp. It's really going to be an interesting TC/Preseason. There are a lot of different ways they could go.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

It sucks that he has to go back to the OHL if he doesn’t make the big club. He was a PPG in the AHL and seems ready to take the next step.

I’d love for the Bruins to give him that 9 game look if he impresses in camp.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I will be able to check Bukac out at Niagara this year, maybe vs Studnicka or Axel Rose Andersson if he signs with Kitchener. Studnicka did get into a decent fight his last game vs the Dogs in the playoffs last year, standing up for a team mate. He was always around the puck but as they say all Swedish and no Finnish. Everything I hear about him at this camp points to a lot of growth.

Reactions: Blowfish

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Studnicka looked unbelievable today until he got banged up and left the ice. Best player on either team (Steen close 2nd).

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It sucks that he has to go back to the OHL if he doesn’t make the big club. He was a PPG in the AHL and seems ready to take the next step.

I’d love for the Bruins to give him that 9 game look if he impresses in camp.

Agreed, would love to see him get the 9 game tryout. I’m really not trying to look to far into Sweeney’s comments but the amount of times Sweeney keeps dropping Studnicka snake it’s at the point where it’s unavoidable to at least mention. Every time Sweeney is in front of a mic it seems he is preaching Studnicka.

Like I said, I have no idea what it means in regards to where Studnicka is developmental wise because I’m obviously not at the practices. But when the GM of the team is not shying away from mentioning him over other players literally every chance he gets, it starts to be a trend that gets noticed.

Even if it doesn’t mean Studnicka is ready, it’s a very good sign hat at minimum they see a very bright future for the kid and that they likely think he is ahead of progress.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Studnicka looked unbelievable today until he got banged up left the ice. Best player on either team (Steen close 2nd).

I certainly need to see more of him, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued by all the hype Sweeney and the team is putting around his name.

From the small doses I have seen of him, the season he had last year and the camp he is having. I think he’s becoming one of my sneaky favorite prospects on the team. Not saying he is our best prospect, but he might have one of the highest ceilings.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Any shot Steen is signed and starts out the year down at Prov?

Sounds so much like Marchand

Ali and I were going back and forth about this yesterday. I think it all depends on what the Bruins think of the SHL as far as quality and development go and what his role will be this year on Farjestad. Last year he had only 4g/2a in 45 games, but he had a strong WJC and one would think he will get more TOI this year.

The “plus” of him being in PRO is that the B’s staff can keep close tabs on him and he can adjust to NA ice. The downside is that I’m not sure how much ice he would see there?

You already have: Frederic, Senyshyn, Fitzgerald, Bakos, Szwarz, JFK, Kuhlman, Koppanen, Hughes, Cehlarik.

A couple of those guys might make Boston, but that’s still a lot of guys. If he’s not going to get Top 9 minutes in the AHL, I would leave him in Sweden for another year.

Regarding the Marchand comparison... in the WJC’s, he was chippy, but I can’t speak to his SHL games, and he wasn’t very physical at all yesterday. Granted, that was against his own future teammates. I think he will be an annoying player, but I don’t see him reaching Marchand levels.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
They Said It: A Development Camp Scouting Report

Jack Studnicka, Forward (2017 Second Round)
Sweeney: "I think he continued the upward swing…[a] leader, led [Oshawa], played with I don't know how many different guys in that lineup, guys up and down the lineup, kept on plugging. Came into Providence and put up a point a game there. If he wouldn't have gotten banged up there, he would have played more games down there. His year was strong, real strong.
"He looks to be even a little bit stronger physically from the end of the year in Providence until now. He's putting in the work and he wants to be a player."

Jeremy Swayman, Goalie (2017 Fourth Round)

Langenbrunner: "He went in there [to the University of Maine] and grabbed it. He played fantastic. You talk to the coaching staff there and I think that was their plan also, to play about 18-20 games, and he earned much more than that. He was probably their best player. That was great. A kid that's continued to work, he looks bigger and stronger in the net right now.
"He's filling out nicely. His competitiveness, he saw a lot of shots last year and held them in a lot of games. He'll continue this year maybe a little ahead of where we projected possibly, but he was drafted in that slot for a reason. I think the scouts believed he could play and he's shown it."

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I am intrgued by Oskar Steen. Wasn't he a PJ Axelsson special, who he pounded the table for? A pretty good report on him. Does anyone have an idea about when he comes to Providence?

Really like Steen as well. He was tenacious at the WJ and was great on the Pk and he also had that big 4-goal game.

Haven't heard or read anything of him coming over.

After last yrs camp here's what Langenbrunner had to say:

July 2017 – Described by Bruins Development Coach Jamie Langenbrunner as a “gritty guy with a high motor”, Oskar Steen will be returning to Sweden to work on his offensive game. As an undersized forward, Langenbrunner is concerned that Steen’s game is not yet dynamic enough for him to make an impact at the professional level here in North America. This isn’t a dig at his potential and Steen is characterized as having strong drive and great motivation both on the ice and off. That being said, Steen only potted one goal and two assists in 47 SHL games last season and put up goose eggs across the board in seven playoff appearances. Steen isn’t close but he’s got lots of potential.

But he got a nice report here:

June 2018 – On the plus side, Steen increased his offensive output in Farjestad this season. On the downside, it was by only three points. He was less than impressive on the stat sheet for his home club. He made big leaps on the international stage however. This year he was selected to play for Sweden at the World Juniors and he didn’t look out of place. He contributed four points in his seven games and a complimentary twelve minutes in the box. His energizer bunny motor was really on display on the North American ice, something the Bruins prospects surely noted as he is back again for a third prospect development camp. Throughout the year Steen also produced offensively on the Swedish U20 team. There is still offensive potential here, he just needs to find the consistency. He could also potentially pad your hit and penalty minute stats down the line. Sid Osmond

Reactions: Dr Hook

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Not surprising in the least. The Brandon Wheat Kings are owned by Kelly McCrimmon, assistant GM of the Vegas Golden Knights. The CHL import draft just finished and the Wheat Kings chose the first and sixth round selections for the Knights, thus bumping the Bruins prospect off the roster. However Bukac was selected by the the Ice Dogs of the OHL in the import draft today.

I was intrigued by Bukac going into this season and since he was injured and we don’t have a ton of eyes on the Whl on this board I monitored a Brandon Wheat Kings forum and they were less than complimentary of his play this season. He was a project so not writing him off but it sounded like he really struggled...sounded like he handled the puck like a grenade and Frustrated the heck out of the forum members

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
we'll run another top 25 list toward the end of the summer like last year, but after the draft, figured it was
good to throw a bunch of the names together to get a head start. my list right now, which could be missing
a few players:

1) Ryan Donato - W
2) Urho Vaakanainen - D
3) Trent Frederic - C
4) Jack Studnicka - C
5) Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson - C
6) Jakub Lauko - C/W
7) Zach Senyshyn - W
8) Jakub Zboril - D
9) Jeremy Lauzon - D
10) Peter Cehlarik - W

11-20:
Ryan Fitzgerald - W
Jeremy Swayman - G
Axel Andersson - D
Emil Johansson - D
Oskar Steen - W
Daniel Vladar - G
Wiley Sherman - D
Jesse Gabrielle - W
Zane McIntyre - G
Curtis Hall - C

Other notables:
Kyle Keyser - G
Connor Clifton - D
Joona Koppanen - C
Anton Blidh - W
Cedric Pare - C
Cameron Hughes - C
Daniel Bukac - D
Victor Berglund - D
Karson Kuhlman - C/W
IMO Olivier Galipeau should be added to that list and not at the bottom of it.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Personally my Top 25 looks like this:

1. Ryan Donato - W/C - I think he'll be a top 6 winger or center although I'm not sure which position he'll end up, seems like a goal scorer as well
2. Urho Vaakanainen - D - I think he'll eventually become McAvoy's partner but, he'll be one of those guys who is a top 4 dman who plays well with an elite dman (McAvoy) so he can play top 2 minutes
3. Jakub Zboril - D - I think Zboril has the potential to become a top 4 defenseman
4. Trent Frederic - C - I think he'll end up being a middle 6 center either on the 2nd or 3rd line
5. Jack Studnicka - C - I don't know what it is about Studnicka but I have a really strong feeling he's going to be great
6. JFK - C - I think he'll probably be a 3rd line center but could end up sliding up to the 2nd or down to the 4th
7. Jeremy Lauzon - D - I think he'll be a good top 6 dman who can play top 4 minutes if need be
8. Zach Senyshyn - W - Honestly I think he could be anything from a top 6 winger to a career ahler, I don't know what to think of him but I like his speed, size and scoring touch
9. Jakub Lauko - W/C - Another guy I think could find some offense and could end up being a top 6 player or could end up being a 2-way guy with great speed in the bottom 6
10. Axel Andersson - D - I think he'll be similar to lauzon in that he'll be a top 6 dman that could slide up to the top 4 if need be
11. Jeremy Swayman - G - Again like Studnicka idk what it is but I really like Swayman and I feel like he's going to be a good player, if he they develop him correctly I think he will be a starter
12. Peter Cehlarik - W - I think he's a talented winger with middle 6 potential but, I really can't picture him on the future Bruins, I think there are too many guys who have more potential than him
13. Ryan Fitzgerald - W - Bottom 6 winger maybe a 2nd liner if he can find a center he has chemistry with
14. Jesse Gabriel - W - Top 9 winger, good skilled guy but he might be in a similar situation as cehlarik where we just have too many guys more talented than him for him to have a future here
15. Zane McIntyre - G - I used to love McIntyre but now I think he could develop into a starter or he could be one of those goalies that jumps back and forth between the nhl and the ahl
16. Daniel Vladar - G - I think he can definitely develop into a solid backup but idk if he would make a good starter in the nhl
17. Oskar Steen - W - Bottom 6 winger
18. Joona Koppanen - C - Bottom 6 center but I really like Koppanen as well, his 6'5" height could make him stand out among his competition for the bottom 6
19. Curtis Hall - C - Bottom 6 center
20. Pavel Shen - W - I think he was a great pick for the Bruins in the 7th round, he's a project but he could end up in the top 6 or he could be nothing but definitely worth the risk in the 7th round
21. Emil Johansson - D - Probably a 7th dman, small chance he is a top 6
22. Wiley Sherman - D - Same as Johansson except he's 6'6" which could definitely help his case
23. Anton Blidh - W - 4th line winger
24. Cedric Pare - C - Bottom 6 center
25. Cameron Hughes - C - Bottom 6 center with a bit more offensive skill than most of his counterparts

One name: Olivier Galipeau!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad